• 35 replies

Sheep

She/Her
Australia
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
38,624 posts
16.3 Years
^Agreed lol. SuMo was also my favorite of the anime series in general.

My (maybe?) hot take: Sinnoh is a bad region and Dawn is boring, anime included. :( She's my least favorite protagonist along with Lucas (they're a bit better in Legends though) and DPPt were my least favorite Pokémon games. Legends was great though.

Adam Levine

I have tried all of your remedies

Age 20
he/they
Kara's Flowers
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 14 Hours Ago
5,155 posts
11.3 Years
Dudunsparce is great, actually, because its design is the best possible punchline to a 22-year-old joke. Imagine waiting seven generations for your favorite bootleg tsuchinoko to get an evolution, and it's just bigger. I love it because it's so fittingly underwhelming.

Double super effectiveness is dumb because it completely screws over certain Pokémon.

Regional forms are a great idea but really should've been implemented at least a few generations ago. Generation V especially could've benefitted from fleshing out older Pokémon over adding a bunch of new ones, considering how hit-or-miss Generation V's Pokémon are, at least for some people (for example, did we really need the Timburr line if we could've just given Machop a Unovan form or something?).

Some people need to stop saying that Game Freak needs to hire fanartists, especially when the designs of new Pokémon have only surfaced thanks to leaks. This is the "Nintendo hire this man" meme all over again. You might not like some of these Pokémon, but I assure you that they at least put some thought into each and every single Pokémon design. As someone who dislikes designs like Bruxish, Enamorus, and Squawkabilly, I have to concede that they were, in all likelihood, made with at least some consideration and with Game Freak's design conventions in mind.

Transferring Pokémon from generation to generation, while cute, feels unnecessary and might be the root of every logistical problem the core series has.

Cubeth

Hi

Age 23
She / They
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 13 Hours Ago
2,712 posts
4.1 Years
Platinum is boring as all hell. HGSS are not great, altho props for making the worst designed Pokémon games remotely bearable, I guess. Object based, absurd and visual simple designs are better than the most complex ones by a landslide. Megas were the worst and most unbalanced gimmick. Toucannon is the most creative regional bird.
Discord Moderoid · VPP Thread · Paired to PB

Ninetales

Age 22
She/Her
Canada
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
1,696 posts
5.1 Years
Here’s a few things I can list from the top of my head:

1. Kalos is the best designed region geographically. It is breathtakingly beautiful. Galar and Paldea are also stunning, but both suffer from a lack of explorable locations in towns and cities specifically.

2. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games are far superior to main series Pokémon games, there’s no comparison, really. PMD Explorers of Sky is my favourite game of all time, and always will be.

3. Design > Stats. I could care less about a pokemon’s stats, if I consider it to be visually appealing, I will adore it and I will subsequently use it.

4. BDSP are phenomenal games. Sure, they weren’t perfect and there are things I wish they had improved upon, however, I think they were enjoyable games overall. Although, I will say, they had no business nerfing contests like that.

5. All of the generation 9 starters are well-designed.

6. The Pokeathlon is 90% of the reason why I love HGSS as much as I do. Likely 40-50% of my time in-game has just devoted to competing in the various pokeathlon events continuously.

7. The immense disdain for bipedal starters, and bipedal Pokémon in general is so unnecessary. I just don’t quite understand it, most bipedal starters are very well-designed. I also don’t really see the issue with humanoid Pokémon, either.

8. I like Smoochum. I just think she’s the cutest thing! Jynx, not so much.

9. I don’t generally tend to dislike over saturated or over-popularized Pokémon. Take Charizard for instance, while I can recognize and understand why people dislike it do to its preferential treatment, I still very much am fond of Charizard.

10. This is a bit similar to the last one, but the internet will never ruin something for me. Gardevoir, Lopunny, Lucario, etc have all been portrayed in rather interesting ways and thus have acquired certain negative connotations as a result. However, if I like something, I like it and I’m unlikely to be influenced by external sources. I love Lopunny, Gardevoir, Tsareena, etc because they are girlboss Pokémon, and that’s that.

11. Generation five introduced some of the best designed Pokémon, cities, and characters in the entire franchise.

12. I love Chesnaught. Design wise, I prefer Chesnaught to both Delphox and Greninja.

🌸✨💫Paired with Eleanor🌸✨💫

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth

Age 20
Castelia City
Seen 43 Minutes Ago
Posted 8 Hours Ago
2,043 posts
1.1 Years
Here are a few more hot takes that I forgot to mention before. I believe that Cynthia is overrated and is one of the easiest Elite Four Champions to defeat in the entire series and I couldn't care less if a starter Pokémon is bipedal, quadrupedal, or even no pedal.

Mintaka☆

A Star is Born

Age 27
Any pronouns
Argentina
Seen 14 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
1,980 posts
1.1 Years
I believe that Cynthia is overrated and is one of the easiest Elite Four Champions to defeat in the entire series
THIS, THIS, THIS! Thank you so much! I didn't take too well to her when I first played the Sinnoh games, because I didn't like that she was following me everywhere and pretending it was a coincidence. It was the incessant shilling during the period in which BD/SP and PLA were released that made me despise her, though. I mean... she got not one, but TWO possible ancestors in PLA - whom I also happen to dislike, and who explain her more unpleasant tendencies. She has also been featured in pretty much every Generation since she first appeared except Gen VI, where the equally disdainable Steven took her place. I don't get the hype for her.

Speaking of human characters I find overrated, the entire Paldea Elite Four except Poppy is this for me. It'd be a blessing if I could go on S/V-related fanart website/image boards for once without finding fanart of Rika, Hassel, Larry or any combination of them. None of them struck me as particularly pleasant (in fact my hatred of both Hassel and Larry began months before release, when they were just leaked) and I find it kind of baffling that they're so popular.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth

Age 20
Castelia City
Seen 43 Minutes Ago
Posted 8 Hours Ago
2,043 posts
1.1 Years
THIS, THIS, THIS! Thank you so much! I didn't take too well to her when I first played the Sinnoh games, because I didn't like that she was following me everywhere and pretending it was a coincidence. It was the incessant shilling during the period in which BD/SP and PLA were released that made me despise her, though. I mean... she got not one, but TWO possible ancestors in PLA - whom I also happen to dislike, and who explain her more unpleasant tendencies. She has also been featured in pretty much every Generation since she first appeared except Gen VI, where the equally disdainable Steven took her place. I don't get the hype for her.

Speaking of human characters I find overrated, the entire Paldea Elite Four except Poppy is this for me. It'd be a blessing if I could go on S/V-related fanart website/image boards for once without finding fanart of Rika, Hassel, Larry or any combination of them. None of them struck me as particularly pleasant (in fact my hatred of both Hassel and Larry began months before release, when they were just leaked) and I find it kind of baffling that they're so popular.
For me, Cynthia wouldn't have been so bad if many Pokémon fans didn't praise her as if she were a deity and claim that she is the toughest champion to beat in the entire series despite all her flaws. She can easily be beaten with Ice-types and walled with a good special defender as I mentioned before. I was also annoyed with her constantly following you too, but my reasons is mainly because the Sinnoh games were annoying in themselves with all their constant cutscenes. It seems that every time you reached a new area in the game, prepare for a character to cut you off and start talking to you with long lines of a dialog. Combine this with the ridiculous amount of HM slavery, Cynthia's constant appearances just didn't help matters much either.

PageEmperor

I can’t do money puns. It just doesn’t make any cents.

Male
with an axe
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 16 Hours Ago
12,408 posts
7.5 Years
I can assure you all that yes, I am a straight male, but I never found the Scarle proffessor attractive at all… never did, she just seemed like a jerk to me and overall just don’t care much.
I… might put something interesting here eventually.

Mintaka☆

A Star is Born

Age 27
Any pronouns
Argentina
Seen 14 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
1,980 posts
1.1 Years
I can assure you all that yes, I am a straight male, but I never found the Scarle proffessor attractive at all… never did, she just seemed like a jerk to me and overall just don’t care much.
I lean towards masculine people and both of the professors could have appealed to me to some degree, but I liked neither of them. After getting to the end of the way home... all I can say is that they both deserve to go to Hell. Together, to deal with each other for the rest of the eternity. And just like with the newly released Paldea Elite Four above, I could do without running into fanart of them every other page hop. -_-