• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Are Your Pokemon Hot Takes?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Not everything is about competitive. My point is about game design, don't know why you take criticism over team building mechanics so personal and argue argue about any arguments against IVs/EVs because you're a pro who loves competitive, and those who criticize those aspects are apparently just lazy casuals who don't understand how things work.

This video explains it, and the comments show why a lot of players prefer it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7f38FjtWc8

I never said everything was about competitive. I also never said that I was a "pro" or EV/IV critics are "lazy casuals" that lack understanding. Simply put, not everybody plays Pokémon the same way, or enjoy Pokémon for the same reasons. Personally, I love playing competitive Pokémon, believe it is extremely underrated, and that more people should try it rather than completely disregard it based on the myth that it is "too much of a grind." As a result, when you say that a game such as Pokémon Legends: Arceus, a game that doesn't even have a system that grants Pokémon their own individuality, makes the game "better" for teambuilding, I simply disagree. Pokémon Legends: Arceus does not have a competitive scene at all, as it is a game made strictly for casual players, which is why that system works (somewhat). The system simply wouldn't work in a mainline game with a competitive scene because it removes Pokémon individuality, strategy, and makes them more broken as opposed to "stronger." In fact, you can argue that it makes them broken in a casual sense as well. In addition, my point isn't all about EVs and IVs either. Pokémon Legends: Arceus also removed Pokémon abilities too, which is absurd and isn't good for competitive, as it removes Pokémon individuality and strategy even further.

You say Legends Arceus has boring repetitive grind (which yeah, in some areas it has), yet you apparently love and justify the boring repetitive grind in the main games, because it's fine when it's all for the mighty competitive. So since PLA doesn't have competitive it makes sense that it's not worth your time. So apparently you do agree that grinding is bad, you just endure it when according to you it's for a good cause.

The problem with this argument is that I don't consider EV training and IV breeding to be a "boring repetitive grind." Instead, I consider it to be a rewarding effort that pays off, as it shows me I'm playing the game with a purpose more than just finishing the story. To me, that's what makes Pokémon fun. For example, in the mainline games, after breeding for good IVs and EV training properly, I know that I would be rewarded with strong Pokémon that could help me increase my chances of winning battles when I battle other players. In Pokémon Legends: Arceus, I don't even have the option to do that, meaning that it serves no real purpose to collect items to make the strongest Pokémon when I finish the game without doing so. Ultimately, this makes Pokémon Legends: Arceus essentially a game based on catching 25 Bidoofs and Starly in a wasteland, which is much more boring and less rewarding than training up a Pokémon that can, say, get you to Master Rank level. Thus, I would say that pointless grinding that serves no purpose is bad, which would ultimately happen if this system was placed in a mainline Pokémon game. In addition, if you have a perfect IV Ditto with a Destiny Knot and vitamins to spare, EV training becomes even less of a "grind."

Having a 31 IV Gengar with 252 Sp. Attack and 252 Speed doesn't make anyone a better trainer, just someone who spent a lot of time grinding, which has nothing to do with skills. And it won't make that Gengar any special either because there will be tons of Gengars out there with identical or very similar stats. You can make your Pokémon or your team as a whole special in different ways, yet none of that has anything to do with IVs. Your point applies to EVs, because those do require some thinking and strategy and allow for different builds, but not to IVs.

Being able to understand how a Pokémon would excel in competitive takes plenty skill. However, you used a Pokémon that practically anybody can understand how to train it as an example, as Gengar can only function as a special sweeper with its stats. Yet, Pokémon such as Incineroar and Landorus, two Pokémon often regarded as some of the best all-time battlers in competitive Pokémon, aren't so simple, as they can be trained in various ways, which can ultimately determine the outcome of a battle. I am also aware that my point applies to EVs, but it also applies to IVs as well because it determines a Pokémon's potential. If those are removed, along with abilities, and replaced with a system that can max all stats, then, as previously stated, Pokémon would lose all individuality and the game would become even more broken and therefore pointless.

No matter how much you try to sugarcoat it, you do selective breeding and forced RNG manipulation to obtain Pokémon with perfect IVs, which literally goes against the purpose of IVs you've mentioned about reflecting that same species can have somewhat different stats, and perfection (as in nature) doesn't exist. Imperfect IVs only exist so that competitive players can spend a lot of time perfecting them and feel good for "achieving" something that wouldn't be necessary to achieve if IVs were perfect or didn't exist to begin with.

It's not "imperfect" IVs that exist, but rather different IVs that exist. Different IVs exist to add individuality to different Pokémon and what those differences mean to players depends on their goals. If they want to win competitive battles, then they are more likely to go for Pokémon with the best IVs. If they want to play the game casually and simply finish the story, they are unlikely to care about IVs. Simply put, I believe that casual players that don't care for IVs should just ignore them rather than advocate for a change in the system, especially for a system that would ruin the competitive scene for players just to satisfy the casual players. In addition, different IV spreads can also impact the outcome of a game as well. For example, you might need to breed a Pokémon with 0 or extremely low Speed IVs to excel in Trick Room. For example, consider the Pokémon in your avatar.

If all IVs were perfect or didn't exist, Honchkrow wouldn't be used at all because its stats make it really difficult to use. A 71 base Speed is too fast for Trick Room under normal circumstances, but if you breed one with 0 Speed IVs, combined with Honchkrow's ability to land critical hits easily, it can be really good on a Trick Room team as a sweeper. In addition, you might need to breed a special attacker with low Attack IVs to minimize confusion damage. The current system gives many Pokémon their own individual chance to shine. Another example would be that 30 Speed IVs might be better than 31 in certain circumstances. For instance, during a mirror match, the chances are great a Pokémon with a pivot move such as Volt Switch or U-Turn would be able to use its move last to do some damage and pivot out last to ensure that the next Pokémon switches in safely, but would still be fast enough to move very close to how it normally can against other Pokémon with its full 252 Speed EV spread.

Something that the current system has not prevented from happening, at all.
    Spoiler:

I understand that players tend to copy what they consider to be the best in competitive Pokémon, especially in the VGC tournaments, but my point was that removing the system would only make the matter even worse than it already is. In addition, albeit many of those teams are very similar to each other, I'm willing to bet that many of those teams have completely different IV and EV spreads that can ultimately determine a winner. If you remove that system, then the most skilled player on these lists that knows damage calculation and how IVs/EVs work in accordance with such is unlikely to win as often as he or she should, as the game becomes much more luck based at this point, which is bad for competitive Pokémon. At that point, like I said, literally anybody could win in this situation. That makes the competitive aspect worse.

That's just your personal take. Pokémon has different premises, and not everyone cares so much about being or having the best. Pokémon is an advanced rock paper scissors in which every Pokémon, and every team, is supposed to beat others while being beaten by some others. All you can do is try to build a team that can overcome different challenges and win as much as possible, but there is no best anything because every trainer, Pokémon, team, and strategy is expected to be countered by something else, no matter how good they are, and even luck plays a large part. And if something is so broken that very few things can counter it, then it has to be banned or rebalanced accordingly because that's not supposed to happen.

The premise of Pokémon itself is to be the best trainer. That's why the storyline of every mainline game involves you becoming the Pokémon League champion. EV spreads do represent training, as they are (mainly) earned from battling and experience. IVs pretty much does represent potential because it is based on the limits of a Pokémon's capabilities. I agree that the goal should be to win as much as possible, but my point is the system that Pokémon Legends: Arceus uses won't help players reach that goal compared to the current system. Luck truly only plays a part when critical hits are involved, when effects from moves such as freezing, paralysis, burn, etc. occur, or when moves miss. When everybody is maxing their stats with a lack of IVs and abilities, Pokémon won't function differently anymore, which would make the game even more luck based and simply broken. That's just simply not good for the health of a mainline game with a competitive scene.

Sounds like you're worried about the competitive player base growing larger, as your VIP circle becomes accessible to more players and may be eventually contaminated by tons of casuals who didn't earn the right to be there. The only reason to perceive changes like no longer forcing players to level up all the way to level 100, or somewhat toning down other grindy and time consuming tasks as something negative, is because it feels bad that other players will be able to enter the competitive scene without investing as much heavy work and time sink as you do. But, as you can't possibly ignore, lots of players hack IVs, shinies, and all they want and build competitive teams in minutes using external tools anyway, so players building teams with minimal effort (which they probably wouldn't if team building mechanics were more fun and enjoyable) has allways been a thing.

I understand that some gatekeeping (because that's what it looks like) might be necessary in order to prevent an overpopulation in the competitive scene, that would somewhat justify the obtuse mechanics, but wouldn't invalidate the point about them being obtuse.

You missed the entire part of my post here. On the contrary, I actually feel the exact opposite. I don't think there are enough competitive players and I love the fact that Game Freak is making it even easier for more people to get into it. I also never said that this was a negative thing. If anything, I'm saying it's a great thing. However, my point when I brought it up was that because Game Freak is making it much easier for people to get into competitive Pokémon with these changes, casual players can no longer make the argument that preparing for competitive is a "long grind" anymore. For instance, you literally don't have to level up your Pokémon to 100 to Hyper Train them anymore; they can be Hyper Trained at level 50, which you're very likely to reach even before post-game. If you choose to Hyper Train, then you don't have to worry about breeding for IVs. You no longer have to grind in the battle facilities for BP to purchase competitive held items anymore, as you can now buy them with your regular money now early on.

You don't even have to EV train Pokémon the hard way anymore, as vitamins and similar items can get the job done without even having to battle. Thus, I just simply find it silly when players call preparing for competitive a "long boring grind" when Game Freak literally made it so easy and accessible for everybody. I also rarely put in "heavy work" when playing Pokémon. For years, I've always just bred Pokémon with good IVs and EV trained them with vitamins before transferring them over to the next game at level 1 after freshly hatching from eggs, skipping the EV training process in the new game for all except my starter. However, because Pokémon Scarlet and Violet does not have Pokémon HOME compatibility, I actually had to play the game the "hard way" this time, but even then, it wasn't "heavy work" because this is perhaps the best generation for EV training. You can choose which Pokémon you want to battle, as you're no longer forced into battles anymore, and while the EV spreads won't be perfect as you progress, EV-reducing berries are scattered all over the map.

When you use them as you're progressing, you can make your EV spreads exactly how you want to make them. All three of my Pokémon teams in Violet are already fully EV trained and I haven't even beat the game yet and it didn't even feel like I was grinding. It just felt natural. As for hacking, I understand that players do it, but why hack your game and risk having your Nintendo Switch being banned when preparing for competitive is ridiculously easy and simple now? I mean, if a player desperately feels the need to hack that bad despite things being easier and love competitive Pokémon so much, then they're just better off battling on Pokémon Showdown and not risk their Switch essentially becoming a brick. Anyways, as I said, we don't need to prevent an overpopulation in the competitive scene; we need a bigger population and Game Freak set the groundwork for it.

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I don't find Legends Arceus to be a particularly compelling or fun game. Searching for items for Pokeballs is extremely tedious and the game's world feels empty and lifeless. I also didn't like the lack of trainer battles.

Pokémon Ranger and its sequels are some of the most fun I've had with a Pokémon spin-off.

The champion's team in Scarlet and Violet is actually pretty good. I think they use an interesting mix of Pokémon. Their battle theme also fits the Spain inspired region perfectly.

Mr. Mime and Jynx (the fixed design) are way too over-hated. I think they're both unique Pokémon that offer a lot to the series. They're great to use on in-game teams too. Mr. Rime is a wonderful evolution too.

GameFreak really needs to make a Pokémon region based on China, Mexico, the Pacific Northwest, or Germany. All four places have very distinct cultures that would work well. At least there are some fans making a Pacific Northwest region a reality in their fan game...

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Dudunsparce is great, actually, because its design is the best possible punchline to a 22-year-old joke. Imagine waiting seven generations for your favorite bootleg tsuchinoko to get an evolution, and it's just bigger. I love it because it's so fittingly underwhelming.

Double super effectiveness is dumb because it completely screws over certain Pokémon.

Regional forms are a great idea but really should've been implemented at least a few generations ago. Generation V especially could've benefitted from fleshing out older Pokémon over adding a bunch of new ones, considering how hit-or-miss Generation V's Pokémon are, at least for some people (for example, did we really need the Timburr line if we could've just given Machop a Unovan form or something?).

Some people need to stop saying that Game Freak needs to hire fanartists, especially when the designs of new Pokémon have only surfaced thanks to leaks. This is the "Nintendo hire this man" meme all over again. You might not like some of these Pokémon, but I assure you that they at least put some thought into each and every single Pokémon design. As someone who dislikes designs like Bruxish, Enamorus, and Squawkabilly, I have to concede that they were, in all likelihood, made with at least some consideration and with Game Freak's design conventions in mind.

Transferring Pokémon from generation to generation, while cute, feels unnecessary and might be the root of every logistical problem the core series has.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2023
    Gen 5 is one of the worst Pokemon games. The dex is uninspired and just a knockoff of Gen 1 for the most part. The sprite animations and overall graphics are a total downgrade from Gen 4. Even the story is overrated by the Gen 5 fanboys that obsess over N. Also we never needed B2/W2.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Platinum is boring as all hell. HGSS are not great, altho props for making the worst designed Pokémon games remotely bearable, I guess. Object based, absurd and visual simple designs are better than the most complex ones by a landslide. Megas were the worst and most unbalanced gimmick. Toucannon is the most creative regional bird.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    Here's a few things I can list from the top of my head:

1. Kalos is the best designed region geographically. It is breathtakingly beautiful. Galar and Paldea are also stunning, but both suffer from a lack of explorable locations in towns and cities specifically.

2. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games are far superior to main series Pokémon games, there's no comparison, really. PMD Explorers of Sky is my favourite game of all time, and always will be.

3. Design > Stats. I could care less about a pokemon's stats, if I consider it to be visually appealing, I will adore it and I will subsequently use it.

4. BDSP are phenomenal games. Sure, they weren't perfect and there are things I wish they had improved upon, however, I think they were enjoyable games overall. Although, I will say, they had no business nerfing contests like that.

5. All of the generation 9 starters are well-designed.

6. The Pokeathlon is 90% of the reason why I love HGSS as much as I do. Likely 40-50% of my time in-game has just devoted to competing in the various pokeathlon events continuously.

7. The immense disdain for bipedal starters, and bipedal Pokémon in general is so unnecessary. I just don't quite understand it, most bipedal starters are very well-designed. I also don't really see the issue with humanoid Pokémon, either.

8. I like Smoochum. I just think she's the cutest thing! Jynx, not so much.

9. I don't generally tend to dislike over saturated or over-popularized Pokémon. Take Charizard for instance, while I can recognize and understand why people dislike it do to its preferential treatment, I still very much am fond of Charizard.

10. This is a bit similar to the last one, but the internet will never ruin something for me. Gardevoir, Lopunny, Lucario, etc have all been portrayed in rather interesting ways and thus have acquired certain negative connotations as a result. However, if I like something, I like it and I'm unlikely to be influenced by external sources. I love Lopunny, Gardevoir, Tsareena, etc because they are girlboss Pokémon, and that's that.

11. Generation five introduced some of the best designed Pokémon, cities, and characters in the entire franchise.

12. I love Chesnaught. Design wise, I prefer Chesnaught to both Delphox and Greninja.

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Here are a few more hot takes that I forgot to mention before. I believe that Cynthia is overrated and is one of the easiest Elite Four Champions to defeat in the entire series and I couldn't care less if a starter Pokémon is bipedal, quadrupedal, or even no pedal.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    I believe that Cynthia is overrated and is one of the easiest Elite Four Champions to defeat in the entire series

THIS, THIS, THIS! Thank you so much! I didn't take too well to her when I first played the Sinnoh games, because I didn't like that she was following me everywhere and pretending it was a coincidence. It was the incessant shilling during the period in which BD/SP and PLA were released that made me despise her, though. I mean... she got not one, but TWO possible ancestors in PLA - whom I also happen to dislike, and who explain her more unpleasant tendencies. She has also been featured in pretty much every Generation since she first appeared except Gen VI, where the equally disdainable Steven took her place. I don't get the hype for her.

Speaking of human characters I find overrated, the entire Paldea Elite Four except Poppy is this for me. It'd be a blessing if I could go on S/V-related fanart website/image boards for once without finding fanart of Rika, Hassel, Larry or any combination of them. None of them struck me as particularly pleasant (in fact my hatred of both Hassel and Larry began months before release, when they were just leaked) and I find it kind of baffling that they're so popular.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    THIS, THIS, THIS! Thank you so much! I didn't take too well to her when I first played the Sinnoh games, because I didn't like that she was following me everywhere and pretending it was a coincidence. It was the incessant shilling during the period in which BD/SP and PLA were released that made me despise her, though. I mean... she got not one, but TWO possible ancestors in PLA - whom I also happen to dislike, and who explain her more unpleasant tendencies. She has also been featured in pretty much every Generation since she first appeared except Gen VI, where the equally disdainable Steven took her place. I don't get the hype for her.

Speaking of human characters I find overrated, the entire Paldea Elite Four except Poppy is this for me. It'd be a blessing if I could go on S/V-related fanart website/image boards for once without finding fanart of Rika, Hassel, Larry or any combination of them. None of them struck me as particularly pleasant (in fact my hatred of both Hassel and Larry began months before release, when they were just leaked) and I find it kind of baffling that they're so popular.

For me, Cynthia wouldn't have been so bad if many Pokémon fans didn't praise her as if she were a deity and claim that she is the toughest champion to beat in the entire series despite all her flaws. She can easily be beaten with Ice-types and walled with a good special defender as I mentioned before. I was also annoyed with her constantly following you too, but my reasons is mainly because the Sinnoh games were annoying in themselves with all their constant cutscenes. It seems that every time you reached a new area in the game, prepare for a character to cut you off and start talking to you with long lines of a dialog. Combine this with the ridiculous amount of HM slavery, Cynthia's constant appearances just didn't help matters much either.

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I can assure you all that yes, I am a straight male, but I never found the Scarlet professor attractive at all… never did, she just seemed like a jerk to me and overall just don't care much.

Last edited:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    I can assure you all that yes, I am a straight male, but I never found the Scarle proffessor attractive at all… never did, she just seemed like a jerk to me and overall just don't care much.

I lean towards masculine people and both of the professors could have appealed to me to some degree, but I liked neither of them. After getting to the end of the way home... all I can say is that they both deserve to go to Hell. Together, to deal with each other for the rest of the eternity. And just like with the newly released Paldea Elite Four above, I could do without running into fanart of them every other page hop. -_-

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    Legends: Arceus is the best Pokémon game that's sort of mainline since Platinum. I like Black and White and all, the last main game I truly enjoyed, but I actually liked Legends more.

PageEmp

Years
    I don't care what anyone else says, the removal of gyms in gen7 was a sublime descision! I've heard the argument that gyms were what defined the franchise, but that's not an official statement. The crew, people behind the games have never said the games must have gyms. In fact I don't think it was a formal rule for 6 generations of more or less the same formula, but that happened anyway.

As for the totems, I can get why some would be turned off by them but personally, I found them to be a decent change of pace. I can imagine some of them might be hard but personally I found most of them to be more or less balanced… although yeah that's probably just a me thing.

But to be honest if I could suggest something different while keeping gyms, I reccomend gyms not based off types. Maybe like gyms based off weather or battle mechanics.

Years
    I think that Gen 1 has gone from being overrated 10-15 years ago to being unfairly trashed on. Yeah, RBY are pretty shoddy but it's honestly super impressive how much content they managed to squeeze onto the Gameboy; and FRLG take Kanto from "good for it's time" to just being straight up good.

PageEmp

Years
    - I greatly enjoyed Rotation battles and think it's a great idea to have a Pokemon like game with something like that as the gameplay. I for one enjoyed the extra layer of strategy where you need to take the 3 things on the opponents side, their matchups, and the fact whether or not they would switch. I never found Triple battles as fun in comparison, if not at all.

- Is it weird that I consider USUM to be the best 3DS Pokemon games? I personally thought that it improved on every issue I had with the original, and the new plot wasn't bad at all to me. And like the usual advantages from the generation, great graphics and music. I get the complaint that it felt like DLC but in a whole game and while that's kinda true, at least the game itself was enjoyable, right?

Years
    I get the complaint that it felt like DLC but in a whole game and while that's kinda true, at least the game itself was enjoyable, right?
    That's fair in a vacuum, but it comes off as a bit of a double standard when games like Emerald or Platinum are praised when they're essentially the same thing, DLC released after the originals for full price. A more valid complaint would be how USUM altered SM's story, arguably to it's detriment.

Back