• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
  • She's dating a toaster. The stated vacation is to meet the toaster's family. I'm pretty sure the toaster's going to propose. ANY MORE QUESTIONS >:O
    She needs to dump the toaster. There's a nice 1995 Buick Century around here that needs some lovin'.

So let me ask this: How does your mood when writing affect developments in your story? Do you let it? And if you do, what influences said mood? Do you listen to your favourite music to brighten your mood, or what?
    Yes, mood affects my writing, so I try to write around it. For example, if I'm in a bad mood, I write scenes with my arch-villain chewing out his underlings for their failures. Or I just write Fred the Dog Master scenes or have Lisa lose horribly at the hands of some expert trainer. And I ALWAYS have my favorite music playing, whether writing or not. Richard Marx FTW!*

*He's the guy who sang
    Whatever it takes
    Or how my heart breaks
    I will be right here waiting for you

Now then, is that song now stuck in your head?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Toasters, eh? Hmm... toasters aren't always to be trusted... reminds me of this gif.

And contrary to popular belief, all toasters do NOT toast toast. They can toast so much more!

Do you prefer to review long fics where the author makes one or two mistakes and a logical error, or do you prefer to review short fics where it feels as though the author is out to break every rule in the English Language?

I find it less fun when someone has simply written a story and put little effort into writing it (less so when they simply don't know certain rules - that's understandable). But maybe the long fic with few errors because that means I read the fic to review and I prefer reading a good fic over a bad one. Well, usually.

So let me ask this: How does your mood when writing affect developments in your story? Do you let it? And if you do, what influences said mood? Do you listen to your favourite music to brighten your mood, or what?

Like most people, it does affect my writing, I believe, but if I'm not in the mood for writing something fitting, then I just don't write... or as mentioned, play some music which helps me get in the mood if I'm only feeling 'meh' or something like that.
    Now that Bay has his name change, maybe I should have one too? XD
    Someone else already noticed, but yeah, poor Bay. First has alphabet soup poured on her by her own characters, and then gets gender blended. D= Whatever next?

...my bet is that she - or he - will get toasted. D=
    I must admit to being curious as to who those people in your sig actually are.
    Clearly their names are right next to them. One is called Awkward, another Love?, and the middle person was too poor to buy a name so he got himself some strange hat instead. Which I feel can be more helpful than a name in various cases so it wasn't a bad choice at all. Besides the fact it's not really that great a hat. A hat made of gold must be rather heavy on the head.

Now then, is that song now stuck in your head?
    Actually, no - another unrelated song has been instead so I am immune to other songs occupying my head atm. =)

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I must admit to being curious as to who those people in your sig actually are.

The avatar doesn't give away at all, nu uh. XD :P *rolls eyes*

Perhaps I'll show you guys the pic (the manga scan) that gave me the idea for the sig... Seeing as it was that, that made me laugh too much out loud... I think I was hyper a bit at the time. Needless to say, off to work now.

Last edited:

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • So let me ask this: How does your mood when writing affect developments in your story? Do you let it? And if you do, what influences said mood? Do you listen to your favourite music to brighten your mood, or what?

Funny that you ask this. I was talking with Nokyo and I was telling her that I need a certain kind of music to set the tone of that part of the story. I sort of have to manipulate the emotions that I feel to write better so I need music to set the tone. Like in a funeral I listen to a lament (or a really sad lullaby like Lala's Lullaby from D.grayman....my goodness that song is sad).

The only time I let my emotions affect me is when I want them too. I can't write when I'm actually mad or sad...or super super hyper. I need to be calm and concis to allow my emotions to create a prefect range

Which of these two fanfic types do you prefer: short and intense or long and detailed?

Do you prefer to review long fics where the author makes one or two mistakes and a logical error, or do you prefer to review short fics where it feels as though the author is out to break every rule in the English Language?

I'll answer these together.
    I like the lengthy ones that has a good story. I love seeing character development and you really can't see that in short ones. Not to say short fiction doesn't have good writings. I read them because they are very good pieces that you could read on the fly. I've seen plenty that I was like wow that was amazing. But I really like see how a character grows with time. A story can be short and detailed or long and intense depending on the writer's preference. I've seen many long stories have VERY intense chapters. They aren't just bundled together.

One or two mistakes and a logical error is fine. When the author breaks every rule in the English Language that it become illegible (on a computer screen yeah...) I can't do it. I'll go mentally insane. Then they will have to take me back to the nice padded room.

How would your main character react to the sight of slaughtered children?

Wait has this happened in my fan fiction.... Read people lol. Anyway, Josh would try to conceal his inner most feelings of anger while trying to find the culprit. Then he will probably kill the culprit.

Last edited:

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
    Years
  • How does your mood when writing affect developments in your story? Do you let it? And if you do, what influences said mood? Do you listen to your favourite music to brighten your mood, or what?
    Listening to music almost always distracts me from writing when I'm writing. To get myself into a particular mood, I go outside for a bit, watch the clouds, or just watch TV for a while. For stormy scenes, I call up a memory of when it was stormy outside in real life, and use emotions from that event. If it happens to be stormy outside when I'm writing, it's even better. For sad scenes, I just begin to write and let the emotions do the rest. Writing those types of scenes actually makes me sad for a minute, but when I'm finished I put on some happy music to 'snap myself out of it'. Same thing with scary scenes. I don't actually become scared, but I might get a little cold, and I might start paying attention to the silence of the room.
    Funny scenes are the easiest for me to do. I just remember a funny show on TV that I saw, or play something funny on Youtube.
    For whatever emotion I'm writing, if it's not the regular-day type, then I have to have some sort of inspiration beforehand.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • OMG guys! I actually wrote something!
    Well to be honest, it was more of a rewrite, but it did take a heck of a lot of work and I'm still not sure if the grammatical aspect is up to scratch.

It's my SWC entry. ;D
    Here
    *Yes this is shameless advertising* :P
    Also, new bold topic:
    What historical figure would you compare your fic character too? Historical can be anyone famous by the way.

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • The avatar doesn't give away at all, nu uh. XD :P *rolls eyes*

Perhaps I'll show you guys the pic (the manga scan) that gave me the idea for the fic... Seeing as it was that, that made me laugh too much out loud... I think I was hyper a bit at the time. Needless to say, off to work now.
    WELL THE AVATAR WASN'T THERE WHEN I ASKED THE QUESTION.

Y_Y

Bay

Years
  • Feign, is your new banner from Persona? Can't helped but think that...D:

Like most people, it does affect my writing, I believe, but if I'm not in the mood for writing something fitting, then I just don't write... or as mentioned, play some music which helps me get in the mood if I'm only feeling 'meh' or something like that.
    Someone else already noticed, but yeah, poor Bay. First has alphabet soup poured on her by her own characters, and then gets gender blended. D= Whatever next?

...my bet is that she - or he - will get toasted. D=
    No, I won't get toasted! :<

OMG guys! I actually wrote something!
    Well to be honest, it was more of a rewrite, but it did take a heck of a lot of work and I'm still not sure if the grammatical aspect is up to scratch.

It's my SWC entry. ;D
    Here
    *Yes this is shameless advertising* :P
    Advertise at the Fanfic Announcement thread. :P *gets shot for mini modding* In all seriousness though, I'll check it out. It'll be fun reading it again. :3

What historical figure would you compare your fic character too? Historical can be anyone famous by the way.
    Bunny I would compare her to the writer Jane Austen. Since Jane Austen's works are based off her experiences, you'll see where she gets her refined lady qualities. :P

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • KWTH. The FFL has an alter ego now? /badjokejustignore

See now, when people say things like that it's almost a provokation for me to not ignore it.

Ah well, just quoted it so I suppose that will do.

Ha, how do you like that? I brought it back on-topic (sorta). And Alter Ego, if you want any proof that the FFL is crazy, look no further than me.

EDIT: MS Word tells me this post (excluding this bit) was 2,212 words long. If I could write this much in one morning on my fanfiction, I'd be set. @_@

Pshaw, I had an MSN convo that had to be split into 9 separate parts to meet the PC blog character limits, after I had trimmed it down. I'll believe in your insanity when you write a post that tops that; until then, I won't budge from 'eccentric'. :<

Incidentally, the only household appliance Asty can canonically be shipped with is the spatula. Everything else is pretense.

Well, I'll freely admit that my mood does matter. I have a hard time writing happy scenes when I'm in a particularly pissy mood, though the unpleasant/angsty/depressing stuff actually does come out just as well even if I happen to be happy (I was perfectly happy while writing Smile and Nod, for instance). Also, sometimes I'm just in a 'bleah' mood where I can't put in any focused writing effort. Period. I'm undisciplined like that. I do make a point of trying to neutralize the effects by letting the writing cool off and then going back to it after my mood has changed to revise.

As far as setting mood goes, reading works best for me. I used to try music, but on balance...it's just too distracting and I lose focus on my writing effort. I'd rather read some good writing with the mood I'm after. Hence why I love my short story collections so much.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Pshaw, I had an MSN convo that had to be split into 9 separate parts to meet the PC blog character limits, after I had trimmed it down. I'll believe in your insanity when you write a post that tops that; until then, I won't budge from 'eccentric'. :<
    1. That doesn't count - if it was a convo, you didn't write it all yourself, and
    2. What is the PC blog character limit? *pulls out calculator, types in '9 x' and waits*

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    WELL THE AVATAR WASN'T THERE WHEN I ASKED THE QUESTION.

Haha I guess :P I had accidently made it resize to 170 x 170 (which appearantly is against the rules, though not really, confusing anyway...).

Feign, is your new banner from Persona? Can't helped but think that...D:

Not Persona no, it is from Future Diary (aka Mirai Nikki).

Well lets just say, there will be a Hitler-esque type of character in mine, but not to that severity.

As to reveal the sig:

The girl is Yuno she is Yukiteru's creepy stalker (I won't go into much detail if people would like to read it. She is usually defending Yukiteru, even to the point where it is completely unnecessary (like senseless murder).

Yukiteru is the one in the middle, he's the passive type, he is a loner.

Akise Aru is the one on the left, he wants to become the world's best detective, and otherwise finds out about the main plot of the story (which I will neglect to explain on purpose).

The two pics was what made the sig come into fruition, idk... I was laughing a bit too hard at how it was... Especially so sudden, and it occurred in a scene that otherwise would have been quite serious (I mean people's lives were at stake).

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

It's one page after the other. Akise Aru's part in the story isn't as big, but there is also an off-shot 'what if' manga that was also released where he temporarily becomes the main character, and looking over an unconscious Yukiteru, wondering if this is love. XD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Jesus.

One of the characters I write about has already been compared to Hitler. It's kind of funny on all sides, that story.

This question also bugs me for reasons I can't quite put into words. Probably because it compares fictional characters to living ones, finding similarities between people, living or dead, which should be completely coincidental. Y'know, instead of thought about.

Unless you're writing about the historical figure, or are creating an illusion.

btw, my toaster's hot. ;3

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023

Did you mean allusion? :P

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my previous post (something not related). I remember discussing in my English class about words (I forget the proper name), where the adjective doesn't need a adverb to modify it. Appearantly it was an old English rule that is halfheartedly followed nowadays.

Like you wouldn't need to say that something was 'very unique' or 'very best' because each respectively already is... That is to say, something that is unique doesn't need to be more profound, because in and of itself, it already is, as with best as well.

Bay

Years
  • What historical figure would you compare your fic character too? Historical can be anyone famous by the way.
    Jesus.

One of the characters I write about has already been compared to Hitler. It's kind of funny on all sides, that story.

This question also bugs me for reasons I can't quite put into words. Probably because it compares fictional characters to living ones, finding similarities between people, living or dead, which should be completely coincidental. Y'know, instead of thought about.

You toaster is not hot. It's broken. ;3 *gets toasted*

OKAY, YOU'RE RIGHT BOBANDBILL! D:

In all seriousness though, I don't think the question meant to ask as if we actually thought which historical character we want to compare our characters to. Instead, I read it like if we think about this now, what historical figures we can compare to our characters. I hope I made some sense here. x_x When I first wrote NE, I didn't want Bunny to be compared to Jane Austen. However, now I think about it, the two are similar.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Did you mean allusion? :P

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my previous post (something not related). I remember discussing in my English class about words (I forget the proper name), where the adjective doesn't need a adverb to modify it. Appearantly it was an old English rule that is halfheartedly followed nowadays.

Like you wouldn't need to say that something was 'very unique' or 'very best' because each respectively already is... That is to say, something that is unique doesn't need to be more profound, because in and of itself, it already is, as with best as well.
    The word you're looking for is 'tautology', amirite? No, maybe not, actually, given the description supplied. But it's the closest term I can think of.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Perhaps it was redundant something rather... XD

So close to wanting to do fic atm...

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Advertise at the Fanfic Announcement thread. :P *gets shot for mini modding* In all seriousness though, I'll check it out. It'll be fun reading it again. :3
    *Shot for forgetfulness* I haven't used it in a long time so I forgot about it. Sorry. Y_Y

Incidentally, the only household appliance Asty can canonically be shipped with is the spatula. Everything else is pretense.
    I lol'd. xD

Jesus.
    Great, you reminded me of Family Guy. DX

There are plenty of English rules that fall out of use over time. There are many exceptions in English. That's why some people say that English is one of the hardest languages to learn.

One of my characters that I'd rather not reveal could be a cross between Hitler and Alexander the Great.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    There are plenty of English rules that fall out of use over time. There are many exceptions in English. That's why some people say that English is one of the hardest languages to learn.

Plenty indeed. :D

Can't tell you why I suddenly thought of that one in particular though (*is scatter brained like that*).

Oh also we don't say "First come, first serve." it's supposed to say "First come, first served."

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Oh also we don't say "First come, first serve." it's supposed to say "First come, first served."
    I've always said "first come, first served." Don't know about the rest though. XD
    I think it's due to the way you say it. It just rolls easily of your tongue without the 'd'.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back