• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Current fads you can't stand?

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
For me, the thing with many 'fads' is...
and I know this is pretentious,
and people will think it is 'hipster' or something:

But, usually, with a fad,
people just want to try and 'be something'
like they are trying to copy something outside their own life, which they thought was 'better'
like when you see something online, but then copy it,
people were doing it for a long time before you saw it on Youtube
- and then once you saw it,
and decided it was 'cool',
you decided you were gonna go and do it too.

Now, the people who were really doing it 'first',
maybe they really were part of something else.
Maybe they thought and felt things that were important, to themselves, their identity,
and to you.

But if you just see it - and then you imitate it, after watching it,
you are not part of that feeling and experience... you are trying to emulate -
you are more like an extension of it.
Like a copy. Or like a pretend version.

That does not mean you are doing something deplorable or stupid,
but probably you are not REALLY celebrating or propagating your own cause,
you are probably just connecting with something that another person has done,
and then deciding that you will use that thing as a part of yourself.
Like - from now on, you have decided that this new idea, or video, or feeling, is part of you, and how you act now.
Instead of deciding for yourself, you have taken an easy grab at something you thought was greater than yourself.

Like, many people now, I think, turn to trends just because they are very empty or lacking on a personal level, in themselves. People try to attach themselves to a trend which has some meaning or significance in current thinking and current events.
It's hard to explain. Really I think more people should try to start their own new trend. Or not try and start something, but create their own new trend regardless of how many 'likes' or whatever it will get. The 'trend' which is made fun of and is called stupid today, will be the hot topic trend next year.

But it makes me worry. I think we can have many better trends or ideas, I feel as though our development and our perspectives are very shallow and narrow because of the things we have to deal with each day.
Like a lot of the trends we follow are based on how we want the rest of the world to see us.
Really, for progress, we should base them on the things we really, honestly wish to see become important and significant to other people.
But personal image is a big part of personal reality, for now.
So most trends seem to be about making yourself 'cool' or being part of the flow.

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
Years
I'm not sure if it counts as a fad but I've never understood the kind of super short shirts that hardly cover one's chest.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I'm not sure if it counts as a fad but I've never understood the kind of super short shirts that hardly cover one's chest.

Female shirts, I assume you mean?

In that regard, I know why: sex appeal. Women who want to flaunt the goods or be sexy, that's the point.

Years
some people still sag their pants halfway below their ass and im still struggling to see what the appeal is

Last edited:

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Intentionally ruining your spelling and typing to the point where they look inhuman. If you don't want to have perfect grammatical typing, no worries, but w hen you stART TYPIN LIKE T HIS??? it's like, why, why are you doing this... ;w;

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Big Bang Theory is trash. I can't believe it's still ongoing when many great shows have been cancelled and even got a spin-off of its worst character. I don't understand the hype about it, it's just a bunch of cringy fake nerds.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Big Bang Theory is trash. I can't believe it's still ongoing when many great shows have been cancelled and even got a spin-off of its worst character. I don't understand the hype about it, it's just a bunch of cringy fake nerds.

I keep hoping it is just a fad. Surely humanity can't be THAT stupid... Can they?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I guess Big Bang Theory is one of those mindless shows that pop culture lovers turn their brains off while watching. I don't think it can be called a fad anymore consider it's at 11+ seasons with a spin off unfortunately.

Years
Being a teenager, I'm naturally a trend queen. However, there are some dumb trends that I despise.

First of all crocs are so ugly and I hate when people wear a cute ass outfit with crocs like hunny no what are u doing.
Just stop, please. Crocs should be burned.
Also, whoever dissed ripped jeans fight me because they're cute as hell and I don't know a single teenager who doesn't own a pair.

On a more serious note, another fad that I dislike (if it's even considered a fad) is girls blaming boys for all of their unhappiness when it's completely unwarranted. Or just generally speaking, when these individuals unnecessarily blame a specific person or group of people for their own misfortune. This gets extremely annoying and hypocritical when these same individuals complain about being judged and degraded but are the first ones to do so to others. People need to start taking accountability for themselves, instead of always putting the blame on others when it's most convenient. It's seriously disheartening and immature. Just own up to your shit and admit when you're wrong.

Last edited:
Years
And why?

1. Fidget Spinners.
They are finally dying out, but man, the dumbest things catch on for the dumbest reasons. It could be a cool toy, I suppose, if it didn't originate as a literal handicapped signal. Not only is it an overhyped fad, but you'll look mentally handicapped in public with one, even if you liked them.

Just a question but what do you have against disabled people?
Like literally this is completely heartless. As a disabled person myself, please re-evaluate yourself.

But for now I'm blocking you, as it's clear we won't get along any time soon.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Twitch emotes, mainly people speaking Twitch emotes verbally. This really irritates me, though admitting it kind of makes me feel old. Still, when I was younger I never said things like "lol" offline, I just laughed if I thought something was funny. Saying something like "kappa" out loud just sounds dumb unless you're talking about the creature from Japanese folklore. Internet shorthand should be used in context on the internet, saying it out loud is just obnoxious.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Fidget spinners aren't a fad anymore though.. they were popular for like two weeks and then died really hard over here. A month at the most. When they were a thing I kinda liked spinning them randomly when bored at work though. Some little kids would look at me like LOL UR LAME, and I was like nO little timmy, you just need to loosen up and spin the thing, it's actually kinda fun.

Anyhoo, fads that bother me... I'm so chill with whatever that I dunno how to answer, but I'm thinking. Maybe some of the old clothing fashions from the 80s that looked awful then, and still look awful now.

For awhile I wasn't too fond of Snapchat, til my friends talked me into it, and now its okay.

The trend of people saying "doge" offline for a while was weird and annoying, but I can't say that dislike all verbal text speak or actions, because I use them when I'm being silly.
What ARE all the kids into these days? I honestly have no earthly idea what the current fads are.

Are yo-yos still popular? Or those finger skateboard things?

FINGER SKATEBOARD THINGS

shit

I remember those

You weren't the cool kid in grade school unless you had them.

Years
On a more serious note, another fad that I dislike (if it's even considered a fad) is girls blaming boys for all of their unhappiness when it's completely unwarranted. Or just generally speaking, when these individuals unnecessarily blame a specific person or group of people for their own misfortune. This gets extremely annoying and hypocritical when these same individuals complain about being judged and degraded but are the first ones to do so to others. People need to start taking accountability for themselves, instead of always putting the blame on others when it's most convenient. It's seriously disheartening and immature. Just own up to your shit and admit when you're wrong.

Considering the current fad of Hollywood forcing feminist agenda and man-hating in films, I do think it's terrible seeing girls blaming boys for everything. As someone who has been a victim of bullying, I never blamed it on someone just because of what gender or other identity they were.

And as for my personal view, count me in as part of the Anti-Fidget Club as well. I hated seeing people with those lame gimmicky spinners, and I never saw any appeal in them, and that kids only played with them because of their flashiness because they have a stupidly short attention span that's as short as a goldfish's memory.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Big mood. Giant mood. Giantest mood. The biggest mood. MOOD. I'm so sick of seeing people say this all the freaking time. It's super annoying. idk why it just gets on my nerves. Does this count as a fad?

Other than that, idrc about fads, as I live under a rock.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
This might as well be a fad, but I'm getting real tired of people crying out "representation" in everything.

And I'm more tired of having it catered to. Way to stick to your guns and not be artistic or have any conviction, that you feel you have to shoehorn in couplings or characters to 'appeal' to a demographic.
It's sickening and only strengthening the notion of segregation.

And it's one of the worst aspects of Hollywood right now. As if Asians (Chinese to be specific) won't like a film because there aren't Asians in it.

How about just make a good story without worry about any of that crap and let people like it for that? By the same reasoning, even a bad movie is good so long as you're 'represented'. Give. Me. A. Break.

It's a 'fad' I'd love to see eliminated.
When did this BS mentality even start?

Last edited:
Back