• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Current fads you can't stand?

LillieAndNebby

Someone (not) very special!
Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    There are many fads that I dislike but my least favourite is today's music. Half of today's songs sound like their artists do not know the difference between the dollar sign and a treble clef(= their motivation is money, not music), the other half sounds the same (I'm pointing at Rooftop by Nico Santos and Sanctuary by Welshly Arms). I'll stick with Ravel!

Last edited:
    Years
  • On the topic, I tend to dislike fads that require exuberant amounts of money to be a part of. Like when I was a kid there were many designer brands that made you "cool" that I could not afford, so I was bullied.
    Other than that I don't really mind music or whatever.

Sirfetch’d

This might as well be a fad, but I'm getting real tired of people crying out "representation" in everything.

And I'm more tired of having it catered to. Way to stick to your guns and not be artistic or have any conviction, that you feel you have to shoehorn in couplings or characters to 'appeal' to a demographic.
    It's sickening and only strengthening the notion of segregation.

And it's one of the worst aspects of Hollywood right now. As if Asians (Chinese to be specific) won't like a film because there aren't Asians in it.

How about just make a good story without worry about any of that crap and let people like it for that? By the same reasoning, even a bad movie is good so long as you're 'represented'. Give. Me. A. Break.

It's a 'fad' I'd love to see eliminated.
    When did this BS mentality even start?

...but these people exist and deserve to be represented in media just like everyone else?? How is a show adding a gay couple, or PoC to shows catering to a demographic? I am really confused here. Do you go into town, or go to school or work and see nothing but cishet white people? I don't think that is the case. So what if a movie includes Chinese people? They are people too. They exist. Adding them into movies isn't just doing it to appeal to others.

Not really interested in starting a debate or anything because to each their own but I really don't see why people being represented in media is a "fad" or a problematic one at that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    ...but these people exist and deserve to be represented in media just like everyone else?? How is a show adding a gay couple, or PoC to shows catering to a demographic? I am really confused here. Do you go into town, or go to school or work and see nothing but cishet white people? I don't think that is the case. So what if a movie includes Chinese people? They are people too. They exist. Adding them into movies isn't just doing it to appeal to others.

Not really interested in starting a debate or anything because to each their own but I really don't see why people being represented in media is a "fad" or a problematic one at that.

My point was entertainment should not be used as a determining factor for 'representation'. Tell a good story first and foremost. Hell, even make a story about a topic like this if so inclined. A story you feel that needs to be out there. Fine.
    My issue was pointless inserting into everything to just not hurt someone's feelings.

Something as mindless as Star Wars, for example, since it's relevant again. It's a topic of debate that there aren't enough gays in it. It makes me want to smack my head into a wall. And then Disney of course, will just lop in a lazy character for it.

THAT is what I dislike. Shoehorning out of fear for the PC police. Token characters, essentially. Why anyone thinks being 'represented' in such a way is a good thing baffles me to no end.
    "Yay I'm a statistic, not a person!"

Last edited:
    Years
  • So strait white people deserve to be able to relate to and have positive role models from various media but everyone else should shut the fuck up?

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    This might as well be a fad, but I'm getting real tired of people crying out "representation" in everything.

And I'm more tired of having it catered to. Way to stick to your guns and not be artistic or have any conviction, that you feel you have to shoehorn in couplings or characters to 'appeal' to a demographic.

And it's one of the worst aspects of Hollywood right now. As if Asians (Chinese to be specific) won't like a film because there aren't Asians in it.

How about just make a good story without worry about any of that crap and let people like it for that? By the same reasoning, even a bad movie is good so long as you're 'represented'. Give. Me. A. Break.

cheers ill drink to that bro. why cant it be like it was in the 60s when minorities didnt ask for things

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    cheers ill drink to that bro. why cant it be like it was in the 60s when minorities didnt ask for things

Way to over generalize.

Read my second post if you haven't. I don't like pointless shoehorned 'representation'. I have nothing against any issue getting exposure, so long as it's not just pointless shallow lip service.
    It only propagates the notion of segregation. That "well black people can't like something if it has no blacks in it" and the like. It's nonsense that needs to be done away with.

Last edited:

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    Way to over generalize.

Read my second post if you haven't. I don't like pointless shoehorned 'representation'. I have nothing against any issue getting exposure, so long as it's not just pointless shallow lip service.
    It only propagates the notion of segregation. That "well black people can't like something if it has no blacks in it" and the like. It's nonsense that needs to be done away with.

ur right we need gray panther 2018

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024

I actually really agree with this. A movie should be judged based on its story line, the amount of character development, and the overall performance of the actors, not whether someone of a certain demographic is cast or not. I can understand the want for representation to an extent, however, I don't feel that it's a huge issue. In fact, we're seeing more diverse movies with casts of all races, ethncities, and sexual orientations, which is why I fail to understand why people continually complain about or boycott movies that don't fit their own agenda. It's absurd. Some people just love to be problematic nowadays.

Last edited:
    Years
  • This might as well be a fad, but I'm getting real tired of people crying out "representation" in everything.

This is exactly true. It's the reason why I now hate companies like Disney, Universal, Mattel and EA, because they're all turning anti-consumer and ruining their properties to pander to toxic feminists and minority groups, thinking it will make a quick buck. Such as changing an existing character to have an LGBTQ identity (such as Lando written as pansexual in Solo: A Star Wars Story) or replacing a male lead with a female (Rey becoming the new face of Star Wars is one). They also write every female character as a Mary Sue or a blatant stereotype.

Race, gender and sexual identity needs to be a natural feature of the character, and not their main character trait because if a character is known only for their race, or the sexual identity, it shows that the people who made those characters are lazy.

The Last Jedi from the Star Wars series is a well-known example at just how much people are pissed at this "representation" crap, especially with blatant SJW characters like Holdo (a feminist stereotype) and Rose Tico (a token Asian). SJW and representation crap was also the reason why many SW fans boycotted Solo, and its box office heavily underperformed as a result.

And now, it's said that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is going to have Captain Marvel take over as the leader of the group of heroes, after Avengers 4. Done solely because they want to cash in on the success of Wonder Woman (2017) and fitting the typical "replace man with a woman" agenda.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Must be nice to have so much representation that losing even a tiny, tiny percentage of it feels like a threat to your very being!! Haha! Imagine only seeing yourself represented in 98% of mass media instead of 99%. Blasphemy.

Anyway my least favourite fad right now is probably just clickbait titles in youtube. It's been a thing for years and it's the worst because the videos never actually address the baity title and it's just kinda turned me off of watching anything.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Must be nice to have so much representation that losing even a tiny, tiny percentage of it feels like a threat to your very being!! Haha! Imagine only seeing yourself represented in 98% of mass media instead of 99%. Blasphemy.

Really missing my point, it seems. :/

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Really missing my point, it seems. :/

Wasn't necessarily responding to just you, although I very much disagree with your points. I do not have the energy to debate this, though. This is probably a better topic for deep discussion rather than a one-off thread about fads.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I don't know if this minority in media discussion is over-over but I wanted to get my two cents in without disrupting the original light-hearted nature of the thread, so like Cherrim suggested I made a topic for it over here in case anyone else had something to add to it as well

Back on the original topic, it's died down a bit recently but the Steam store was like filled with awful survival games (as in the whole resource management/crafting/building/defending against the elements deal, not survival-horror) a while back, most of which stay in early access indefinitely, which is a shame because it's one of my favourite genres but that just made it more difficult to sort the good ones from the bad since everyone just wanted in on the fad and didn't really care about making good survival games.

Even that new-ish game Raft that everyone has been playing lately looks pretty bad and unpolished, and that's about the average quality of every other survival game that's been in the store lately.

Years
  • Anything featuring Anne Hathaway or Jennifer Lawrence.

I have never liked either one of these beloved stars in a single movie they have made. I saw both of the movies that they won oscars for Les Mis and Silver Linings in the Playbook and I can not for the life of me see what others see in these ladies. I don't see Jennifer Lawrence's great beauty, I think she's not funny and looked klutzy as hell in Hunger Games trying to wield a bow and arrow. I liked X-Men cause of Fassy and McAvoy, but was sick of looking at Lawrence's apple-cheeked face as Mystique.

The first time I saw Anne Hathaway in Brokeback Mountain my thoughts were this one of the phoniest accents I've ever heard. She was a sexless Cat woman and In Les Mis she was in the film for 10 minutes and screamed out some really bad singing and overacting, and people went on and on like this was Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice. Who needed the award was Anne's PR agent rather.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Personally, I try not to let myself be bothered or concerned with current fads. Let people have fun. If they wanna dab, wear jeans with holes in them, enjoy a horrible show like BBT..that's their prerogative.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Anything featuring Anne Hathaway or Jennifer Lawrence.

I have never liked either one of these beloved stars in a single movie they have made. I saw both of the movies that they won oscars for Les Mis and Silver Linings in the Playbook and I can not for the life of me see what others see in these ladies. I don't see Jennifer Lawrence's great beauty, I think she's not funny and looked klutzy as hell in Hunger Games trying to wield a bow and arrow. I liked X-Men cause of Fassy and McAvoy, but was sick of looking at Lawrence's apple-cheeked face as Mystique.

The first time I saw Anne Hathaway in Brokeback Mountain my thoughts were this one of the phoniest accents I've ever heard. She was a sexless Cat woman and In Les Mis she was in the film for 10 minutes and screamed out some really bad singing and overacting, and people went on and on like this was Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice. Who needed the award was Anne's PR agent rather.

A lot of actors and actresses are overrated tbh. They pull a good performance occasionally and people will praise them to kingdom come like they've done some groundbreaking achievements.

Last edited:
    Back