• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Smash Bros

Years
  • I've been on a Smash Bros binge the past few days so I might as well make a thread on it. Who do prefer to play as? Any stages you really like? Or any characters/stages you can't stand?

Are we all in agreement that Sheik and the Ice Climbers are terrible?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    i mainly play fire emblem characters. absolutely surprising right?

But of the FE characters it's mostly Robin and Lucina. As for stages, I prefer the simpler, less gimmicky stages like Final Destination or Battlefield. I like my fights to just be between me and my opponent and not have to fight the stage too (though the argument can be made than no stage truly does not affect a battle). But if we're just screwing around I'm fine with most stuff, just don't go to Hannenbow, fuck that stage

Cid

Years
  • I've been on a Smash Bros binge the past few days so I might as well make a thread on it. Who do prefer to play as? Any stages you really like? Or any characters/stages you can't stand?

Are we all in agreement that Sheik and the Ice Climbers are terrible?
    I like playing as Pikachu. Back in Smash 64, Pikachu was my favorite character to play as, and the comfort of him always being in a Smash game-- even the fan-made ones, makes me come back to playing as him every time. Of course, with every new title you have your fun new characters like Lucario and Richter, but I always seem to come back to the cute yellow guy. And when I tried my hand at competitive Smash, which was mostly a bust, Pikachu was my main through thick and thin.

As for the stages, I love Palutena's Temple. It looks amazing, graphically. Plus the fact that you can listen to Pit's Smash Taunt there, Palutena's Guidance, is just the cherry on top, haha. I love Kid Icarus Uprising's dialogue, and they somehow manage to capture its charm with just this Easter egg. Granted, tournament-legal stages are always the best when it comes to competitive matches. But ignoring that, then yeah, Palutena's Temple. Honorable mentions would be all of the EarthBound stages: Onett, Fourside, New Pork City, and Magicant, because I love that franchise.

I don't like Sheik in Smash either, but as a character in OoT, she's cool. I just don't like her Smash moveset, I think. Oh and I'm actually a fan of the Ice Climbers. They're cute and unique, and their game of origin is a fond childhood memory.

But if we're just screwing around I'm fine with most stuff, just don't go to Hannenbow, fuck that stage

+1 on Hanenbow. That stage is just not good. :'D

Years
  • used to main kirby, then mained pika, then mained zelda, and now im settled on cloud and haven't budged since

granted, i haven't played smash in a long time (lack of time and whatnot) everytime i've gotten back into it, i've always been drawn back to cloud. his limit break kit is really fun to mess around with!

Years
  • But if we're just screwing around I'm fine with most stuff, just don't go to Hannenbow, fuck that stage

+1 on Hanenbow. That stage is just not good. :'D

Either I don't remember this stage or I don't have access to it. I just looked at it though and good lord is it terrible. Why would you inflict this on another human being. I find stages like this one, stages that actively work against you and become a bigger hindrance than your actual enemy, extremely irritating and will take something simple like Battlefield or Boxing Ring over that any day.

For characters I still flit around a bit but I use Lucario the most probably because his moveset is the most intuitive to me and I like the mix of long and close range. I've also been using Corrin, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Inkling and Ridley a fair bit - in particular Inkling, Ridley and Corrin.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    The Smash bros I played the most is brawl and there I used to main Lucario at first (duh), but after a while I realized I'm not that fond of his gameplay. Then I switched to... well... Ice Climbers...
    After that was Link, but I haven't played Brawl in quite some time.

pkmin3033

I have played every Smash Bros. title. I got into the series with Melee, which I actually loved - the single player content was pretty great (for its time, and for a young teenage me, who was hugely impressed by the Gamecube generally) and, more importantly, I had friends to play it with. I mained Pikachu for a while and just spammed Thunder every match (which annoyed my friends immensely...which is why I did it) but after they picked the Ice Climber stage EVERY TIME to negate that, I started using Roy. Roy is my boy.

I went back to the N64 version afterwards for some reason...because I enjoyed Melee and wanted to see where it all started, I guess? It was...eh. I didn't play it for very long.

I bought Brawl but I honestly hated it - the story mode was utter garbage, and I didn't have anyone to play it with. The 3DS/Wii U version of the game didn't impress me either, because it was designed solely for PvP...I don't like PvP. At all. Ultimate I bought at release, played through the single player content, got every Spirit, then sold it. Again, not a fan of PvP, and no friends to play with anyway, so once I'd done the single player content - which to be fair, took me around 85 hours - there was no reason to keep it any more...it's not really a game that inspires a second playthrough.

I'm not a huge fan of arcade-style fighting games (I did enjoy Dragonball Xenoverse and Dissidia, but those are borderline ARPGs) and I refuse to play PvP, so Smash as a series has a very limited appeal for me now. Plus, all those moveset clones...I HATE moveset clones in games, I really do. Include them properly or don't bother to include them at all!

Years
  • Then I switched to... well... Ice Climbers...

I forgive you.

I went back to the N64 version afterwards for some reason...because I enjoyed Melee and wanted to see where it all started, I guess? It was...eh. I didn't play it for very long.I bought Brawl but I honestly hated it - the story mode was utter garbage, and I didn't have anyone to play it with. The 3DS/Wii U version of the game didn't impress me either, because it was designed solely for PvP...I don't like PvP. At all. Ultimate I bought at release, played through the single player content, got every Spirit, then sold it. Again, not a fan of PvP, and no friends to play with anyway, so once I'd done the single player content - which to be fair, took me around 85 hours - there was no reason to keep it any more...it's not really a game that inspires a second playthrough.

It's interesting that you say this. Outside of some early experiences with Melee (I think) that I never owned, Brawl was my first Smash game and I don't like it nearly as much as Ultimate either. I think that had a lot to do with how uncomfortable it was to play on the wii controller though.

Why don't you like pvp?

Years
    • Seen today
    I main King Dedede and have since the release of the Wii U version of Smash 4. I can also play Mario, Pokemon Trainer, ROB, Bowser, but not at the same level.

Aside from the newer games, my favorite is Melee. I'm okay at it. I can do some of the technical stuff, such as wave dashing and moon walking, but I'm not a good player by any means. (Sometimes I launch myself off stage when I try these things). In that one I play Link and Falcon.

I would like to get everybody into Elite Smash in ultimate, but realistically it won't happen. I'm stuck with 11 characters in it, and the rest hover below 5 million GSP. Recently I've stopped trying, and I just play the online Tourney Mode.

I played Smash 64 just long enough to unlock everybody, then didn't touch it again.

pkmin3033

It's interesting that you say this. Outside of some early experiences with Melee (I think) that I never owned, Brawl was my first Smash game and I don't like it nearly as much as Ultimate either. I think that had a lot to do with how uncomfortable it was to play on the wii controller though.

Why don't you like pvp?
    I used the Gamecube controller to play Brawl, because yeah, the Wiimote was not really designed with games like that in mind. Ultimate I played in handheld mode - like basically everything else on Switch - and it wasn't quite as comfortable as a Gamecube controller, but still comfortable enough for me to not hate every second of it, haha.

I don't like PvP for a couple of reasons. I've found that when I play PvP titles there is often such a disparity between my skill level and someone else's (either way, although with common PvP genres like fighting and racing games my skill level is dramatically below my opponent's, because they're not the sort of game I generally play) that it means it isn't even going to be a contest. Losing repeatedly is very tiring and not much fun - I'm not a sore loser, but I do play games to win - and there's no real entertainment in winning constantly either. That, plus in my experience PvP leads to a lot of hostility between people and I'm really not a competitive sort of person anyway. It's just...not fun.

Even if I wanted to play with random people I wouldn't, because I don't like the way competitive Smash is played. Too much dodging, arena throwing, edge grabbing, etc etc - I've watched a few matches and it doesn't look like much fun at all. I understand that it's very technical and requires a lot of skill, but it doesn't make for the greatest gameplay, at least in my opinion. All the rules and whining about what is "fair" and what isn't bothers me as well: one of my favourite things to do in Melee with friends was to turn off every item except for Pokeballs, crank items up to max, go to the Pokemon Stadium level, and spend the match - stock, not time limited - lobbing them and seeing what came out. Would people online play that way? I doubt it. People take it so seriously, which is about as far away from fun as is possible for me: if I want to take a game seriously, I'll play something like Disgaea, where I can lose myself in grinding and statistics. A fighting game, for me, would be something quick I'd play to unwind and relax (kinda like how I play Warriors titles, actually) not something I want to get caught up in...that's incompatible with Smash PvP.

...and yeah, I don't have any friends to play with now. If I had a group of friends I was comfortable with who were around the same sort of skill level with these games as me, I expect it'd be a lot of enjoyable. It was with Melee, where it was literally anyone's game. But I don't, and I've been out of the genre for so long that I'm awful at them comparatively and I don't really have the motivation or interest to practice and improve when it's not a genre I really enjoy to begin with.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • I main Joker, Cloud, and the Samuses, and my fave stages are Mementos and Midgard. I never do the PvP but that's mainly due to not having Switch online. My favourite game is of course Ultimate, which I prefer to play with the Gamecube controller because whatever game you prefer, if you don't think GC is the single best Smash controller you are a FOOL.

Years
  • I main Joker, Cloud, and the Samuses, and my fave stages are Mementos and Midgard. I never do the PvP but that's mainly due to not having Switch online. My favourite game is of course Ultimate, which I prefer to play with the Gamecube controller because whatever game you prefer, if you don't think GC is the single best Smash controller you are a FOOL.

I'm pretty happy with the Switch controller, but my limited experiences with the Gamecube controller weren't bad.
    That being said... I have large hands so playing with just a Joycon doing local pvp takes some getting used to lmao.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I'm a Luigi main in Ultimate who also likes to play Ridley. I play other characters like Mr. Game & Watch and Piranha Plant.

Pretty much any tournament-legal stage that isn't Battlefield is probably my favorite stage to play on. King of Fighters Stadium is pretty high up there, too.

Years
  • out of interest: what is everyone's favourite stage to play in?

Thinking on it, probably Pokemon Stadium or standard Battlefield. The former has a unique spin but it's not as obtrusive as other stages with gimmicks to them. Battlefield is fun because it's all Smash no gimmick.

I'm a Luigi main in Ultimate who also likes to play Ridley. I play other characters like Mr. Game & Watch and Piranha Plant.

Pretty much any tournament-legal stage that isn't Battlefield is probably my favorite stage to play on. King of Fighters Stadium is pretty high up there, too.

People use Game & Watch?

Years
  • started playing Smash again after not touching for a good while (months, really). still pretty rusty but im still holding my own against Lv. 9 AIs so that's gotta count for something! this is only because i quickly remembered how to play Cloud decently since i've been using him for like.... ever. pretty much the only character i use nowadays lmao

Back