• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Red Gyrados

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    While you surf thru Lake of Rage, there is a one particular Gyarados that have level 30 and it's quite shiny one regardless the outcome, it always give out Red Scale.

Did you planned to catch this shiny Gyarados if so is it going to be part of your team or just to boxing Thinking everyone is there FIRST SHINY or that you plan to defeat it instead.

HG/SS too have this shiny Gyarados on that location

Years
  • I did catch it in HGSS (and boxed it). It's too late in the game for me to add a water type. I already have one by then.

In the Crystal VC I just straight up ignored it as I mainly ran through that game several times in a row for the Celebi event at the end of Johto ^.^

Years
    • Seen today
    Allways caught, allways boxed. I suppose this might sound weird to a lot of players, but in the over 30 playthroughs I did across the eight gens I never had a Gyarados on my team yet.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Coming from gen 1 where it had always been a very elusive Pokemon, gen 2's version never seemed interesting to me. Back then I didn't even really comprehend the concept of shinies until I ran into a random one while leveling. I mostly just ended up boxing it or decided to use it as an HM slave. Doesn't help that gen 2 is Gyarados' weakest generation.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2021
    Was a really cool surprise the first time, and of course I caught it. I had no idea there were other shiny Pokemon as a kid, so the Red Gyarados was just a special Gyarados.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i always try to catch it, even though it's just the game's guaranteed shiny. bc like. free shiny. lol i didn't catch it as a kid bc i was dr. dumbass and didn't save in front of it so :) but i have used it in my party in both the originals and remakes on more than one occasion. gyarados is a rly fun pokemon so why not right

Years
  • Always caught because it's fun to catch shines. Always boxed. Hadn't played gen 2 in a while so idk. All I know is I have two shiny Gyarados' in Home via VC Silver and VC Crystal.

Years
  • I catch it every time but I only used it on my team once back during my very first Gen 2 playthrough of Pokemon Crystal about 8 years ago. Since then Gen 2 came out on Virtual Console and I did 3 new Gen 2 playthroughs but I always boxed the Red Gyarados as soon as I caught it, I did the same in my only 2 playthroughs of remakes (HG/SS).

Years
  • caught it for fun, but never really used it. i remember usually being excited to encounter it, but that's the extent of my excitement since the novelty of red gyarados wore off on me. :c

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • In my first ever playthrough at 5 years old I still understood it was a special mon and it made it onto my team of what was essentially Typhlosion solo run, I think it eventually became my Surf/Waterfall/Whirpool/Strength slave

Years
  • I never used it because I either 1) had a decent team at that stage, 2) it was too slow to level and it was easier to just turn it into an HM slave, or 3) I was only training my starter at the time (something I did as a kid when playing through GSC/RBY). So yeah, most of the time it just sat there. Tried using it a few times but stopped each time because that slow as heck level curve made it toooough.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2021
    I captured it and stored to train later. But the thing is, at that time I had a Gameboy Pocket, so I couldn't see its color

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2021
    not gonna lie, in my first playthrough i tried to capture it and i killed it by accident
    to get things worse, my save was too far behind, so i gave up
    but in all my other playthroughs i captured it

Years
  • Boxing it in the pc hahaha

Did u mix it up W other gyarados u have?

Me too didn't realise the existing of other pkmn or red gyarados is a shiny haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Major Agnostic

Pokemon Crystal Ultimate Developer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Honestly I now find blue Gyarados way cooler than red. I think part of it is because of how the colouring is done in gen 2, but I decided to make Gyarados red and pure dragon in my hack, and the blue version is the shiny. Works for me

Years
  • i caught the red gyarados in gen 2, but i actually did end up using it since i needed a surf slave at the time lmao. i've never played on actual console (im a dirty emulator user who doesn't wanna pay $600 for a copy of pokemon silver), so i was never able to transfer it. i do have a red gyarados in SWSH if that counts, though :V

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Always caught the Lake of Rage's Red Gyarados, but only used it in my main team in my first Crystal playthrough. He was really good backup for my Typhlosion.

Amusingly, I have a regular Shiny Gyarados - one I hunted and caught as a Magikarp in Let's Go Pikachu. His name is Surtur, and let's just say I'm way more attached to him than to both the aforementioned Red Gyarados and the non-Shiny Gyarados that I used in my main team! He's a gorgeous big red boy. He looks so good in LGPE's graphics I'm almost scared of transferring him forward.

Back