• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PewdiePie vs Mainstream Media

Years
Edit: I think I need to see some examples of implicit bias in order to get a clearer picture of your argument because I'm not sure if I fully understood your argument... I don't think I did

There's the old "I'm not racist, but I don't like black people." But mostly I'm talking about the kind of bias that people aren't aware of until it's pointed out to them. Like, not wanting to go to certain parts of town, crossing the street when approaching someone walking toward you, that sort of thing. If you have a "type" of person you would date and it happens that it doesn't ever include someone of a certain race then that might be a good example of implicit racial bias (because anyone of a certain race should be able to fit into your type unless you believe that no one of that race could).

But the gist of the idea is that people can have ingrained prejudices without knowing they're affecting their actions. Some would say that's racism, or a sign of racism, or an aspect of racism.

With advance of social media like twitter and youtube etc, the need for old media to report the news is increasingly diminishing. I'm assuming this is also why I'm starting to see more clickbait garbage from even the likes of WSJ not only to stay relevant but also to try to bring down icons of new media like Pewdiepie. Whether this tactic works in favor of the old media or against them remains to be seen I guess.

If news shifts to social media how would it be possible to have universally authoritative, trusted sources, when everyone is following their own niche news outlet?

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
Pewdiepie is red pilled, consequences weren't surprise if you know who owns and controls Disney, Google and mainstream media.

Years
Esper said:
There's the old "I'm not racist, but I don't like black people." But mostly I'm talking about the kind of bias that people aren't aware of until it's pointed out to them. Like, not wanting to go to certain parts of town, crossing the street when approaching someone walking toward you, that sort of thing. If you have a "type" of person you would date and it happens that it doesn't ever include someone of a certain race then that might be a good example of implicit racial bias (because anyone of a certain race should be able to fit into your type unless you believe that no one of that race could).

But the gist of the idea is that people can have ingrained prejudices without knowing they're affecting their actions. Some would say that's racism, or a sign of racism, or an aspect of racism.
I see your point.

I still wouldn't use the word racist to describe those who have a implicit racial bias, which can stem from reasons other than "people of x color is intrinsically superior to people of y color" which is what most people think when it comes to the word racism.

If news shifts to social media how would it be possible to have universally authoritative, trusted sources, when everyone is following their own niche news outlet?
There are no universally authoritative trusted sources in the mainstream media. If you want a more balanced view on pretty much anything these days, you have to get information from multiple different sources that each have different political viewpoints.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
(Originally I was going to post this on the Entertainment & Media section but I figured this does raise questions for some serious discussion that I don't think is appropriate for that section.)

So You all probably know what happened by now, but Pewdiepie is under another attack by the mainstream media for "espousing antisemitism" with his jokes.

If you aren't in the know, basically Pewdiepie has been dropped by Disney and Youtube for making what some people can consider off-colored jokes, which he has apologized for already. But arguably the bigger story in this is that WSJ and many other mainstream media news outlets have used this to "prove" that Pewdiepie is racist anti-semite.

My opinion on this is, well, I've been lacking trust in mainstream media more and more in recent years and this incident further illustrates to me why.

What are your thoughts?

For future reference, this would have been appropriate in VG if you did post it there.

I'll give my thought ms on the matter at a future point in time.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Pewdiepie is red pilled, consequences weren't surprise if you know who owns and controls Disney, Google and mainstream media.

What even is red pilled.

And well, Disney is a public company whose CEO is Robert Iger, Google is a public company whose owners are Sergei Brin and Larry Page, and the mainstream media is a cluster of millions of things that don't really mean anything. The WSJ, for instance, is owned by the same guy who owns Fox News, Rupert Murdoch.

If what you mean to say is "this is all a conspiracy involving *insert paranoia here*", I should offer you the possibility that some people may simply think that saying "kill all jews" and "Hitler did nothing wrong" as a joke is of poor taste.

Also, I agree with Scarf's argument. If your default reaction is "media lies, so I'll only believe whatever my only favourite media source says", then chances are you'll become less, not more informed. If you think media distort the news, check different outlets of different biases and draw an average. But I reject the notion that there are two equally respectable sides to every discussion. If a Republican says climate change is false or that Trump's inuguration crowd was the largest ever, that's not a "respectable opinion", but a lie. Not challenging lies on the basis that "some people believe them" is not "being fair and balanced", but rather devaluating the truth.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
What about the idea of implicit racial bias? As in, someone who doesn't think they are racist or biased but still shows some kind of bias in their actions.

I think most people are guilty of this. It doesn't mean they're bad people, it means they've been shaped by an inherently racist society. I've found myself doing things I'd consider racist any other day of the week.

Please take your thinly veiled antisemitism somewhere else. This isn't Stormfront.

Years
My view point: You don't get to decide what's funny. You don't get to dictate what one can or cannot say (under certain instances like gag orders and NDAs it's acceptable) otherwise you open up huge cans of tape worms begging to feast on your bones. You should be able to laugh at everything and everyone. If you can't do that then you might need to do a reevaluation and perhaps learn how to ignore people because people can say whatever they want to say. Unless you're the brain patrol, sod off.

Here. Pulled up a 'You're never supposed to joke about Hitler or Jews!' joke. Enjoy.
Edit: Ooh! Bonus points for me being politically correct! Have a Trans tell you jokes. Yes.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
Years
I, myself, am Jewish and while I have a dark sense of humor, I really thought what Pewdiepie did was in very poor taste. I don't hate the man, as it was never his intention to be offensive, but this is why it is so important to be careful about what you say. Now, I hate how politically correct society has become in the last decade, but still, he shouldn't have been surprised by the backlash he would get. Anti-Semitism is already on the rise in America, and when you have the power to influence young children, it is important to watch what you say, otherwise you risk offending a lot of people, which is exactly what happened.

I will say this: I do find it really sad how the media doesn't cover how much good Pewdiepie has done, too. He gives a lot of his money to charity, but of course that was never covered, and that is just as bad. The media is only bothering to bring up the bad in people instead of also realizing that they've done some good in the world as well, and that is just not right.

Back