• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Archie and Maxie's new designs in ORAS

Years
  • Archie and Maxie received updated designs when the Hoenn remakes, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, came out.

Their original look from RSE:

a2bbf2425475f004543364bd578af577a32c0132.png

Their updated look in ORAS:

817bb6c962233e8e17c494e8a021bce5c2ae2ab0.png

Did you like these updates? Which designs did you prefer more?

Years
    • Seen today
    I liked the updated versions, but felt it odd they went back in Sun/Moon and used the original designs again.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I liked the updated versions, but felt it odd they went back in Sun/Moon and used the original designs again.

This. It may be to signal that the incarnations of Archie and Maxie that we see in the RR episode are from different universes, but they still felt out place. Fortunately, Masters used the OR/AS redesigns so it's all good.

Anyway, I LOVE the redesigns. I was lukewarm towards them initially, but seeing them in-game coupled with the Bosses's personality changes made them grow on me. Archie in particular SKYROCKETED to the position of favourite villainous team Boss just because of his OR/AS overhaul. And nowadays the new Maxie doesn't fall too far behind either, although in some ways I prefer his Emerald incarnation.

Years
  • Archie's is better.
    Maxie is a mixed bag for me. I dig the ORAS clothing more, but not the glasses and attitude change.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I prefer the ORAS versions over the RS ones

Years
  • Imo they are alright for the games in which they belong to. Indeed the ORAS versions back in the original games would have looked "too much" and re-using the old designs would have been bad in ORAS, so I am glad they re-designed them for the remake to match the style of the game and the current generations.

I like all of them tbh, but if I have to go for my personal fav, I would choose the RSE designs. They make the characters a lot more realistic and they still look evil.

Years
  • Oras all the way for Archie. Physically he seems like a more towering, virile and mighty opponent to face. His mode of dress also better represents the sea by wearing mostly blue tones, a wetsuit-inspired theme and the gold chain with the anchor design. I think Archie not only looks way better, but Team Aqua as a whole does. Shelly became absolutely gorgeous. I also think giving the characters darker tans really made their designs more striking and different from Team Magma, and also seemed plausible because they love the ocean, and might spend their time walking the beaches of the region, and turning bronze under the sun.

I would probably also vote for the Oras design on Maxie too. He manifests more of his own character in the revamp and makes a stronger contrast to Archie. Maxie has a decidedly intellectual, formal and even very stiff look with the glasses and turtleneck. I wouldn't wear this stuff, but I like that he does! He looks like an eccentric scholar who would come up with this plan to change the world, and in the process breaks the laws of fashion with the shorts, boots and long johns, just like he breaks the laws on the land. In all seriousness though, I do think it's cool how the keystone for mega Camerupt is an accent on the frames of his glasses.

Back