• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Canadian government to announce marijuana legalization by July 1st, 2018

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-legal-marijuana-pot-1.4041902

The liberal government will put forth legislation that legalizes the sale and possession of marijuana in the week of April 10th, 2017. The provinces will then have until July 1st, 2018 to plan their rules & infrastructure for the public sale of the plant. The federal government will restrict sale to anyone below the age of 18, although the provinces will be free to overrule that age as long as it is higher. The drinking age in most provinces in Canada is 19 or older, but in Quebec it is 18 or older.

I think this is a great progressive step forward. Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Does this make weed more accessible or less accessible to children?

Also, despite me mentioning the word "dank" super often, I don't really like the smell and can't really see any benefits for me personally.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Well, in my opinion, this is progressive. Marijuana is less dangerous than drinking to start with. That's all I'm going to say.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Does this make weed more accessible or less accessible to children?

I'd say with legalization and regulation, in theory, it should be a lot harder for children, or anyone under the age of 18, to get ahold of weed. In theory, the black market is willing to sell to anyone, just to make a buck, and perhaps profit on impressionable young people.

Anecdotally, I can say it was a lot easier for a 16 year-old me to score a bag of weed compared to a mickey of vodka.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • I find it interesting to see how this will affect possible legalization here in the states. This is a very progressive step forward, and perhaps other places will follow Canada's footsteps in the future.

Years
  • Does this make weed more accessible or less accessible to children?
    Won't some 18 year olds still be in high school? If they can legally buy marijuana then it'll be pretty easy for them to sell or share it with other high school students who aren't yet 18. I imagine it'll make it more accessible for children.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • The fact that weed is illegal in a majority of countries around the world despite the fact that it cures cancer is an atrocity.

It is undeniable that hemp has great potential in a variety of products and could even make them more cost effective and that marijuana also has medical potential, but I think thats a bit of an exaggeration.

Regardless, I am happy Canada has passed this legislation. It might be a nice test for the US. Hopefully it works out!

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Won't some 18 year olds still be in high school? If they can legally buy marijuana then it'll be pretty easy for them to sell or share it with other high school students who aren't yet 18. I imagine it'll make it more accessible for children.

I thought most people are finished high school at 17, but it's true that a lot go back for a victory lap, as its known. Perhaps that's a big reason why most provinces bump up the legal drinking age to 19. I think the number of 19 year olds still in high school is pretty low, but that's just what I assume.

The flip side is, with how unregulated the market is ATM, any kid with the right amount of money can buy it if he finds a dealer. And they're not hard to find. Ask around to a few people who you think are into the drug and you'll always find someone who's selling it. It was much easier in my high school years to get a bag of weed by the end of the day than alcohol.

Years
  • Nothing cures cancer.
    Let's not bring fallacies into this.

Amen to that. Some cancers can be cured, but it depends on the cancer. There's definitely potential for its use as treatment - not necessarily cure, though. Haven't really looked into it, but I'd keep my eyes open for their potential use as treatment for neurological disorders as well, since cannabinoids affect neurotransmitter release. However, the most likely long-term outcome is that pharmaceutical research will tweak effective cannabinoids into something better - more targeted, more efficacious, less side effects, etc. It won't be so much that "weed cures cancer" as much as the active chemicals will be precursors for drugs that work better. We'll see.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Genuine question: why?

People say this is "progressive" and everything but all I see is legalisation of an intoxicating substance which, outside of medical uses (for which I agree, it should be legal where other drugs are less effective), has no purpose other than for self-indulgence. I realise, before anyone says this, that alcohol is worse - but that's not an argument; just because one thing is bad doesn't make something else which is less bad good.

Anyone who's even talked to me knows that I'm a loooooooong way off saying "ew alcohol and drugs are bad" (most of my friends irl are like "wtf you love drugs" when they hear this stance, haha) but legalising the latter just doesn't seem to have benefits to me.

And ftr, seconding the above: weed does not cure cancer.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Genuine question: why?

People say this is "progressive" and everything but all I see is legalisation of an intoxicating substance which, outside of medical uses (for which I agree, it should be legal where other drugs are less effective), has no purpose other than for self-indulgence. I realise, before anyone says this, that alcohol is worse - but that's not an argument; just because one thing is bad doesn't make something else which is less bad good.

Anyone who's even talked to me knows that I'm a loooooooong way off saying "ew alcohol and drugs are bad" (most of my friends irl are like "wtf you love drugs" when they hear this stance, haha) but legalising the latter just doesn't seem to have benefits to me.

If drugs are going to exist, they are better off being regulated and controlled by the Government. The alternative is having massive drug mafias, as the US found out when it banned alcohol. Legalize it and you can control its production, price and sales. Ban it, and you will have to devote trillions to law enforcement, put millions of people in jail and probably see smaller and weaker states/countries get overrun by mafias.

Years
  • Not to mention legalising weed and attaching a tax to it like alcohol and tobacco could be an excellent source of revenue for the government which can then be used to improve on government programs.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Genuine question: why?

You ought to broaden your perspective on the impacts legalization can have. If executed properly, it should take the power away from the black markets and funnel money to the government, which we then hope will be invested in the country's well-being (whether or not it will be is an entirely different topic). The goal is to impose an age limit on the substance, compete with the black market and eventually eliminate them by selling better product, more conveniently, that must adhere to health standards. This should, in theory, make the substance a lot less accessible to anyone underage. At the moment, dealers will sell to anyone who's got the cash. That won't be a concern after the government regulates and sells the substance.

Years
  • Weed does. Medical companies and governments are in it for profit though so they don't want the definitive cure out there.

This is just straight up not true. Weed can certainly aid in the treatment of cancer because it not only relieves stress but also pain and nausea, but it doesn't cure it at all.

Nothing cures cancer. Cancer is a collection of literally thousands of conditions caused by mutating cells. Scientists in the field these days tend to be pretty certain that a blanket cure for all cancer isn't even possible, even if for some forms there is at least a possibility.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-we-truly-cure-cancer/
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/15/lets-stop-trying-to-cure-cancer-says-cancer-professor/
    http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/cancer-questions/can-cancer-be-cured

Just a few examples. I don't know where you're getting this conspiracy theory but it's just plain wrong - not to mention disproved by the continued trend of governments legalising marijuana.

Back