• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

brock

Years
  • I thought he was funny as a kid but not as much anymore... especially remembering infamous comments he made about underage women and waiting for them to become adults. I'm glad he at least gets reprimanded for it, even if it's not too serious/mostly comedic value. This behavior seems a bit more common in Japanese media unfortunately. I don't dislike him or anything but prefer some of the other male companions tbh.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I don' think he normalized it, but... he definitely shouldn't have been acting that way. It's definitely not funny to constantly just hit on women like that. I think it hit its worst point in the Diamond/Pearl anime where I feel he was the most disgusting about it. u_u

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Ahhhh, yeah, that's my biggest gripe with anime!Brock. To be fair he does get dragged away and/or beaten up when he steps out of line, but he never really learns from it. I'm glad he's no longer a main cast member these days, and that this aspect of his characterization didn't bleed over to the game version of Brock like, say, Misty's did.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It's humor. It's just that kind of humor that didn't age well.

Regardless of how advanced they might be in other areas, Japan has never been a model to follow in regards of how they treat and portray women in real life or in fictional media.

So, maybe Brock's kind of humor still works there? I don't know, but in many countries it would probably not work anymore. People are way more sensitive to this kind of stuff, and things that were seen as funny twenty years ago can easily cause more drama and controversy than laughs these days. It's like the joke with the creepy old man spying on the Grass gym ladies, which has been later censored/removed.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I guess I'm in the small minority who don't really care. I don't find it offensive. The most offensive part about it is just how often they used the joke. It got old fast when it was every single episode. I would've preferred it if the joke occurred less often so it wasn't as repetitive.

And I kinda wish the chicks would've gone all Johnny Bravo mode and karate kicked him in the face, but that kind of slapstick humor doesn't exactly fit Pokemon's style.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I didn't mind it back then and still don't now. I guess what audiences found to be acceptable in the 90s/2000s isn't anymore.

If I were to critisise then it would be how often we saw it and it also conflicted with Brock's serious/mature personality.

Years
    • Seen today
    I never thought about it too deeply. Even as a kid I knew his behavior wasn't socially acceptable.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • I like his humour and the girls' reactions to it. Remember Cynthia's cool reaction? 😂😂 She stopped Crogunk from attacking Brock! 😂 Heroine!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I personally don't see anything wrong with Brock's behavior. He is simply a teenager that enjoys approaching women. I never saw his actions as blatantly disrespectful towards women. If they're not interested in him, then they can simply reject him, which almost always happens. Luckily for him, Olivia was definitely interested. I was happy for him.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • I personally don't see anything wrong with Brock's behavior. He is simply a teenager that enjoys approaching women. I never saw his actions as blatantly disrespectful towards women. If they're not interested in him, then they can simply reject him, which almost always happens. Luckily for him, Olivia was definitely interested. I was happy for him.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to YouTube that rofl

Back