• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How important is the story in a Pokémon game to you?

Years
I feel like I'm likely one of the few people that actually cares for the story in a Pokémon game. How important is the story to you? Do you think that Gamefreak needs to do a better job with the story? How could they improve it?

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
Years
The story hasn't mattered to me since Pokemon Crystal but I definitely feel like they could start fleshing out the newer stories.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
I care for it, but ^^^^^^^ I agree with this. I enjoy the storyline, yet I wish Gamefreak would do a bit more with it.

pkmin3033

I would care for the narrative in a Pokemon game if it had advanced or changed in any way at all since Gen III. I play a lot of JRPGs, and one of the main reasons for that is because of the rich narrative experience they can provide. I love a good story. This is something that Pokemon has never had. Ever. There is fundamentally no meaningful difference whatsoever between the narrative from Gen III right up to Gen VIII, and god is it tiresome by now. It was tiresome three generations ago. Now it's gone past absurdity into outright farce.

Game Freak need to either hire someone who knows how to write a story (or at the very least a different story, because they've worn Gen III's narrative right out at this point) or do away with that aspect entirely. You can just as effectively tell a story through worldbuilding as you can from having NPCs shoved in your face telling you what is going on...and I actually think this approach would work better with the main series Pokemon games, which does not give you a traditional party of characters, and can't really develop its NPCs properly (or even give them identifiable personalities beyond one or two character tropes) when they're out of sight for 90% of the game. You cannot develop a character in a meaningful fashion in 1 or 2 scenes by changing their appearance and Pokemon team, and if you have them holding your hand for the entire game they become a hindrance, because they have no real purpose other than to slow your progress...as was the case with Lillie, who never had anything meaningful to say.

A hands-off approach to narrative that focused on lore and worldbuilding would be much, MUCH less intrusive than what they currently have. Let the player decide how much of the story they want to dive into, rather than forcing it on them with these ridiculously banal streams of NPC dialogue. But for crying out loud, have enough there that the majority of it isn't left to the player's imagination, as it very clearly has been for several generations now. The existence of a more complex narrative and character in Pokemon games seems to be a figment of the player's imagination based on a few scarce breadcrumbs in the game, and that's just lazy and bad writing.

This is just the main series of games, of course. Whilst they're not the best narratives in the world by all means, the Mystery Dungeon series at least manages to establish character personalities, meaningful growth, and whilst they rely on the same initial premise of an amnesiac human stuck in the form of a Pokemon, they manage to flesh it out in different ways across the various games so that it feels like a different experience each time. Honestly, that's what I'd like to see from the main series of games if they're going to keep pushing this narrative of "evil team wants to use Legendary Pokemon to control the world" thing - expand on the reasons WHY, give some actual personalities to characters and have them develop over time, and offer a bit more player agency too. Perhaps some dialogue choices, or something that makes your character more than just a blank puppet. Give them a voice and an identity. Give us the opportunity to grow attached to the world and characters, or the opportunity to ignore it entirely. Don't just sketch in what we've had before and force us to sit through it and make up the rest ourselves.

Mewnair

Aka Regular Goat
Years
The issue with that is that the first two PMD games were made by chunSoft, not Gamefreak like the more recent ones were. The first two were imo the only pokemon games i've played with an immersive story.
I feel like 'monster catching game with hollow story loosely based on friendship' is a genre in itself now, and gamefreak is determined to run it into the ground.
Capcom, a god of making good games with at least passable stories, fell into the same pitfalls when it made MHStories. It traded out the humour, dry wit and non-intrusive story for a handholdy, 'kid-friendly' experience. The gameplay was fun and the customization was cool but the story was basically just a 'Pokemon's gen 3'-style annoyance. Which was weird as heck because it actually started out good. A prophecy, a mysterious plague, dark starts to two of the character's arcs, a tragic anti-hero/well-intentioned villain character... it sucks you in then the story's spell breaks around the time the player's starter (level 1 Velocidrome) reaches level ten.

But enough about that.
What I mean to say is I just want a monster catching rpg with good monster designs, a decent story and memorable music. It feels like too much to ask from Gamefreak nowadays, Sega, Sony and Microsoft don't seem to be interested and i doubt Capcom is gonna try again so I'm basically just relying on the indie scene. Here's hoping the nextPokémon game or even TEMTEM is gonna turn out ok.

Years
not very.

i've long since accepted that story in pokemon games will always pale in comparison to other parts of it. it's become increasingly apparent as the years go by that Game Freak doesn't care much about story themselves (although why they still bother including some sort of plot is beyond me), and rather it's more important to focus on what makes pokemon games memorable to many: either the trading, battling, or breeding aspects. the whole point is to interact with other people and make friends with pokemon and all that sort of rainbow feel-goodsy stuff.

although honestly, i'd agree about removing any sort of plot completely. gen 3's whole "defeat evil team that's doing x, save the world" thing is getting rather tiring at this point after so many iterations...

Years
not very.

i've long since accepted that story in pokemon games will always pale in comparison to other parts of it. it's become increasingly apparent as the years go by that Game Freak doesn't care much about story themselves (although why they still bother including some sort of plot is beyond me), and rather it's more important to focus on what makes pokemon games memorable to many: either the trading, battling, or breeding aspects. the whole point is to interact with other people and make friends with pokemon and all that sort of rainbow feel-goodsy stuff.

although honestly, i'd agree about removing any sort of plot completely. gen 3's whole "defeat evil team that's doing x, save the world" thing is getting rather tiring at this point after so many iterations...

Yeah, I can agree that if they aren't gonna change anything they mise well take out the story entirely. The problem is that they know fans will buy a literal box of s h i t if it had a Pokémon label on it. So they have no reason to change or switch things up.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
The story in Pokemon games has never been good enough for me to care about them. On the other hand, sometimes the story has been bad enough to really anger me and/or make me skip on a Pokemon game entirely. I've given up any hope that a Pokemon game's gonna have a really gripping story, and so I hope that at least it's not gonna make me want to break stuff and bang my head against a wall.

Lately, they've even been failing at that.

What is really sad is that the character designers create top-tier waifus like Leaf and Serena and then throw them into games with average to poor stories.

Sw/Sh are a perfect example of a game where no (or just the gym challenge) plot would have been better than the mess they tried to shoehorn in. Did I buy Shield thinking it would have a great story? No. Did I know it would be as bad as it was? Also no.

So to sum it up, I don't play Pokemon games for the story, but I do care when the story is so bloody awful that it ruins the rest of the game for me.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy Pokemon the most with as little story as possible. I don't think there has ever been a good story in Pokemon. I said this recently and someone quoted me saying it's because they half ass all the stories and I have to agree. If by the grace of god they could churn out a truly good story then maybe I would enjoy it. I will say the stories in Blue/Red Mystery Dungeon and in Explorers of Sky surprised me, granted they had different developers, but it just shows that IT IS possible to write a decent story for Pokemon in a game.

As of now I don't believe Game Freak is even capable of writing a decent story and if they have no plans to reach out for help in that department then I say totally scrap any story and focus on exploration/battling.

Years
Quite important, but not insanely so! I appreciate a good story a ton (one of the many reasons I adored BW so much) but play mostly for the adventure and Pokémon collecting aspect of the game, which is very fun for me regardless. 👍

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Pokemon games are the only ones where I can completely negate story. I have no expectations for it, and there hasn't been any story I consider "good" in the main series. There's been aspects, such as I thought Ghetisis was a good villian, but the entire thing wasn't thrilling or anything. The pacing is always awkward because nothing major ever seems to happen until after the 7th gym. Until then you fight through grunts and maybe a hideout, but most of the time the plot gets shoved into one section.

Still, something is better than nothing. I dislike Kanto because I feel like it's a slog of trainers without any events.

Back