• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Who's your starter?

Turtwig, Chimchar, or Piplup?

• Turtwig

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Piplup

Votes: 54 48.2%

• Total voters

Rye the Shy

Basic Boot
Years
    • They/Them
    • :)
    • Seen May 18, 2021
    This is one of the few Pokémon games where I really like every one of the starters. I've never been the kind of person to go for Fire types, though, so I will probably go with Piplup.

Years
  • I'll go with Piplup in this game became I like the water type best, but sometimes I choose the grass type. Very rarely do I choose the fire starter. Though I have chosen Cyndaquil and Torchic on occasion in Gen II-III replays.

That's my reply to 'why Piplup?'

Cid

Years
  • Piplup! He was my starter in Diamond. I was so happy when he was first revealed because I love penguins, and having a penguin starter was the coolest thing.

It's a bit of a hassle to have two Pokemon weak to Fighting and Ground, but I always just had to have Empoleon and Lucario in my Sinnoh journeys.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2021
    Piplup, I've always been choosing between Blue Pókemon and Water Pokémon.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Which Starter?

Which starter should I go with? Note that I have no interest in Turtwig. So, this is between Chimchar and Piplup. Eventually though I will go with both since I am buying the dual pack. But I was wonder who I should pick first. I like Piplup a lot and it was the one I originally went with in the original DP and even Platinum. However, I don't like its evolved forms at all. On the other hand in the past year or so I started liking Chimchar. It's a pretty cool Pokemon and it's really strong too. And unlike Piplup I do like Chimchar's evolved forms. But Piplup brings back memories from when I played DP for the first time on my very first save file. So, I am unsure.

Years
  • Which starter should I go with? Note that I have no interest in Turtwig. So, this is between Chimchar and Piplup. Eventually though I will go with both since I am buying the dual pack. But I was wonder who I should pick first. I like Piplup a lot and it was the one I originally went with in the original DP and even Platinum. However, I don't like its evolved forms at all. On the other hand in the past year or so I started liking Chimchar. It's a pretty cool Pokemon and it's really strong too. And unlike Piplup I do like Chimchar's evolved forms. But Piplup brings back memories from when I played DP for the first time on my very first save file. So, I am unsure.

If it is the same Dex then you'll want to go Chimchar. You can get other good water types in the region, Gastrodon, Gyarados, Bibarel, and Buizel. There are no other good fire types in the region, however.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I'll be getting Piplup this time around 😁 In the originals, I chose Turtwig, yet had the hardest time deciding between the two

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Since Gastrodon exists, I don't feel a need to get Piplup, sorry pengu fellow. The only time a grass starter has felt ok is Bulbasaur, so most likely I'd just do like in Platinum and roll with the fire starter. It's not easy to find awesome fire pokémon (at least not until later on) in many games, so fire starter often feels best for me even though it sometimes makes gyms harder.

Empoleon671

不要
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    hmmm. piplup. hands down. but it is hard since i love all three...i might use all 3 actually LOL

Years
  • Definitely going with Chimchar, at least for my first playthrough. It's my favourite of the Sinnoh starters (although I like all of them) and it'll be cool to play through Sinnoh the same way I did my first time.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    Chimchar was my very first Sinnoh starter, but I like the other two's secondary types much more. Fire/Fighting is just too common among starters, not to mention Ground and Steel give immunities. I'm leaning towards Piplup the most because Empoleon looks super cool, though Torterra is awesome too.

Back