• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Best gen 4 starter in ur opinion?

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2019
    I always felt like Sinnoh had the best balance between starters, who's ur fav?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I really liked Chimchar; I found it very easy to balance with my favourite Pokemon upon playing the 4th Gen games!

Years
  • Chimchar's cute in its first form, but I never cared much about the evolutions. And while Torterra's concept of a turtle with an ecosystem on its back is awesome, I never got too attached to it either. Piplup on the other hand was really fun to play with! Water + ice + steel moves made it really great to use.

Eventually I'll try Turtwig again..... @_@

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Chimchar, honestly. I was never a fan of Piplup, and Turtwig is pretty slow, has a disadvantage to both Empoleon and Infernape somehow (because Ground is neutral to Water and whatnot.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2019
    I would have to say turtwig. I love Torterra because I have a whole continent as my partner lol.

Years
  • Gonna do a platinum run soon, might have to go with Chimchar was gonna go with turtwig but Chimchar looks the better option, went with piplup on my original run when it came out

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    I like Pochama/Piplup the most since it looks cute in its base stage, and evolves into one of my favorite Gen IV Pokemon. I really dislike Pottaishi/Prinplup, though. It's so bizarre and hideous to look at.

Years
    • Seen today
    After many years, I've finally decided that the Piplup line is my favourite Gen 4 starter. I like penguins, I like Water types, I like special attackers, and I like Empoleon's typing. Furthermore, I've used an Empoleon in Pokemon Renegade Platinum, and it was fantastic.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I genuinely love all of them! I think generation 4 has some of the strongest starters in terms of design. Overall, I'd say Infernape is my favourite. It looks so cool, I love its cry as well as its typing. Empoleon is elegant and Torterra is fierce, all are excellent in my opinion.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yeah I gotta agree with everyone else, Gen 4 is one of the very few generations with a whole set of starters that I love, making it a really hard choice! That being said, I've gotta go with Chimchar, I love its whole evolutionary line and Infernape just beats Empoleon for me. Poor old Turtwig coming in last, he's still great though :)

Back