• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Are Pokémon X/Y characters chibi?

Years
  • I mean, I don't know. I am just wandering.... Personally, I don't think they are. There's a weird style with them, like they seem to have big heads, but I just don't think they're chibi. Am I missing something, perhaps?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Depends on how exactly one defines chibi, but I think that a lot of people would classify them as chibi.

Years
  • I personally don't see them that way. Chibi is an even smaller/rounder style for me typically, like what we see in BDSP. XY's style is close, but not fully on the chibi level to me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • like sorta? but not? idk how to describe, i guess it's like what nah said that it just kind of depends on who you ask. i'm on the fence lol but i mean overall, it's not like i have an issue w the character models/designs for gen 6. i do prefer them in 7 and 8, though, neither of which i would consider chibi.

Years
  • like sorta? but not? idk how to describe, i guess it's like what nah said that it just kind of depends on who you ask. i'm on the fence lol but i mean overall, it's not like i have an issue w the character models/designs for gen 6. i do prefer them in 7 and 8, though, neither of which i would consider chibi.

yes, i can't say as well, but i have never thought they could be chibi. in the new bdsp is pretty clear, in gen 6 games I just think they're weirdly proportioned, the weird thing is the head being a lil bigger than the rest of the body but in general i'd say they're not chibi, even because the characters are children, therefore they're short, but idk some people say they are...

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    For me there have always been different chibi "styles". Some focusing more on a bigger head and a smaller body, others trying to balance things a little bit better, etc.

I think I've heard that actual chibi style tries to imitate the anatomy of a toddler. That is, the head is still pretty big, but the body also happens to be long enough to be somewhat believable.

I think, I'd say they are. At least given the shape of the models it kinda makes sense to me.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I don't really see it. Their heads are proportional to their bodies honestly.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I'd say they're chibi in the sense that they're not going for realistic proportions, but not chibi in the 4-koma manga sense (extreme proportions).

At the same rate, I'd say Gen 7 and Gen 8 are going for anime realism as their art direction.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I originally didn't consider them chibis, but I have seen so many people call XYORAS and even SM all called chibis. So I guess it depends on the people? I consider chibis more like the Funko Pops and the graphics in BDSP

Back