• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

self-assertion

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    how effective are you at making yourself heard? do you struggle to stand your ground in the face of persuasive techniques or internal doubt? likewise, are you someone who is easy to convince - does it require much persuasion to shake your footing on a belief of yours?

Years
  • I'm as gullible and malleable as a small child made from wet clay, and I slur too much for anyone to understand me. Were I to make myself understood, I'd be hurled from house and home on the grounds of grand impertinence. I've only won about two arguments in my whole life and upon failure I become demonic.

So naturally I'm going to run for president.

Years
  • If I want you to hear my then you're going to and if you want to change my mind you're going to have to work for it.

pkmin3033

I don't see the point in asserting myself when I'm not really invested in things to begin with tbh. I don't have anything to prove to anyone else, either.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    i used to be godawful at asserting myself but over time i learned to just say fuck it and ask for what i want. and it's gotten me places!

on the topic of being convinced sometimes i'll act like the person convincing me did a good job but then still hold the same opinion. which can be worse sometimes i suppose.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    on the topic of being convinced sometimes i'll act like the person convincing me did a good job but then still hold the same opinion. which can be worse sometimes i suppose.

not necessarily
    letting people feel like they won is an important way of navigating some social arenas! it's a smart way of de-escalating and letting someone a) feel valid or b) put their guard down so you can see their true motives. letting someone feel they got their way can just be the smartest method of navigating things. no one has to win every conflict or ideological disagreement, and a good sign of emotional maturity and pragmatism is accepting this. that being said, if you feel like you're swallowing a rat, that might be a different situation entirely. but... pragmatism nonetheless, i suppose.

baire

many such cases
    Years
  • I don't typically make any attempt to make myself heard because having random people listen to me is not something im very interested in, but this changes a lot when Im talking to people I know

idk what counts as being easy to convince, but I've taken really drastic 180 degree turns in my beliefs/views over the past two years on most topics thanks largely to my friends - contemporary art, ethics, epistemology, music, linguistics, philosophy of science etc. - I have no regrets (its been a WILD experience).

I think the only views I have that haven't changed since high school would be how I think of political philosophy (big fan of Rawls) and the philosophy of math. these ones I'm really firm with

Years
  • I don't.
    I've been beaten down enough that I really can't. I don't even speak irl unless spoken to

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I'm not really assertive unless I feel really passionate about the topic. I am open to other viewpoints, but whether I'm convinced depends - some views I have been convinced to change very easily, and others not at all.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • i'm really bad at asserting myself. i hate confrontation. like marth said, i don't really speak unless spoken to. i'm not good at standing my ground at all, and i tend to cry out of frustration or anxiety and shake a lot when put into situations i am uncomfortable with, especially when it comes to confrontation and standing up for myself. i've always been like this.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    i try to be when i'm being a manager but other than that i suck at it. i've gotten better at it over the year (thanks to well .... being a manager) but definitely a weak point that i need to work on

Last edited:
    Years
  • I used to not be assertive at all when I was younger because I'm just not into conflict like that. While I'm still mostly the same way, I'm a lot better about standing up for myself and my own beliefs and thoughts.

Back