The PokéCommunity Forums Entertainment & Media Anime & Manga
I can't believe I was into {name of anime/manga here}

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Old May 10th, 2017 (4:09 PM).
In too deep inside these streets aligned.

Nature: Lonely
Are there any anime or manga you used to be into when you were younger, but could never see yourself getting into ever again/now? Why?
Old May 10th, 2017 (6:16 PM).

I'm not really sure I have anything I was into in the past that I really regret being into or have a hard time understanding why I was into it.
Old May 10th, 2017 (7:06 PM).

Nature: Gentle
I think before I really liked some tatsunoko shows like Yatterman and Gatchaman the Science Ninjas... actually I still like those shows a lot but I think the hype was just diluted a bit by some of the anime I now watch that are now my favourites.

Maybe they just didn't age well? I'll need to watch them again aha.
Old May 11th, 2017 (6:11 AM).

A lot of shoujo manga I was into when I was in middle school, honestly. Stuff like Kamichama Karin, Kitchen Princess, Marmalade Boy are stuff I just could never get into now. Although there are plenty of shoujo manga I still read and shoujo anime I still watch, it's the older ones I just can't really like anymore. The only one I'm still really all for is Fruits Basket because it was my first manga that got me into animanga, so it's important to me.

I guess most of those are too straight for me, or just don't work for me in today's time? Idk.
Old May 11th, 2017 (6:47 AM).
Empty Chairs at Empty Tables

Nature: Quiet
I was really, REALLY into Bakugan when it was first released. I still think New Vestroia is a really good series. It was like watching Duelist Kingdom in YGO, only more violent...I swear they just made it up as they went along, but it was surprisingly dark for a kid's show and it was comprised almost entirely of random battles between dragons and monsters. And Spectra was an amazing villain. Mechtanium Surge was pretty good too. I was actually sad when it ended. Thinking about it makes me cringe, and it makes me want to rewatch it at the same time. Sigh.

I'm embarrassed to admit there was a time when I thought the original Hellsing and Elfen Lied were good shows, too. I'd only just started watching anime though, so I think I deserve a little leeway here...
Old May 11th, 2017 (7:02 AM).
thick steamy gunpla resin

Nature: Modest
    My tastes have broadened but I wouldn't say that they've changed too much. If I liked a series 10 years ago there's a good chance I'd still like it now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
    A lot of shoujo manga I was into when I was in middle school, honestly. Stuff like Kamichama Karin, Kitchen Princess, Marmalade Boy are stuff I just could never get into now. Although there are plenty of shoujo manga I still read and shoujo anime I still watch, it's the older ones I just can't really like anymore. The only one I'm still really all for is Fruits Basket because it was my first manga that got me into animanga, so it's important to me.

I guess most of those are too straight for me, or just don't work for me in today's time? Idk.
    I'm not going to go near the last part of this post but in regards to ''older ones''. Have you seen/read the the likes of Oniisama e...., Revolutionary Girl Utena or Rose of Versailles? Shoujo encompasses far more than the series you just listed.
    Old May 11th, 2017 (11:30 AM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lipstick Vogue View Post
    I'm not going to go near the last part of this post but in regards to ''older ones''. Have you seen/read the the likes of Oniisama e...., Revolutionary Girl Utena or Rose of Versailles? Shoujo encompasses far more than the series you just listed.
    Seen Utena and Versailles. I'm fine with those. Probably wouldn't go through those series a second time, but I've seen them. I strictly mean the manga for what I said in my post. (Since Kitchen Princess doesn't have an anime anyway.)
    Old May 11th, 2017 (12:12 PM).
    Memento Mori

Nature: Calm
    Well, pretty much any shounen.
    I'm not even sure if I will ever finish Bleach or Naruto despite only missing like 100 manga chapters or so.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
    Old May 11th, 2017 (7:29 PM).
    love live/Final Fantasy fan

i cant believe i was a sailor moon fan (this was back in my middle school days)
      Old May 11th, 2017 (11:59 PM).
      just a miserable pile of secrets

Nature: Careful
        Hmm.... if it's only anime then the myriad of .Hack shows I watched in the late 90's early 2000's

The original games quadrology haven't aged well at all... .hack// G.U. still kicks butt tho XD
        Old May 12th, 2017 (1:35 AM).
        What were you the god of again?

Nature: Quiet
        Off the top of my head, I can only think of D.N.Angel and Elfen Lied. Maaaybe Desert Punk too, but the ending was kinda okay.

Defo to the first two, tho.

Old May 14th, 2017 (11:46 PM).
        I was saying Boo-urns

I used to be a huge weeb as a kid and would watch thing just because they were from Japan. There's a lot of those shows I think were pretty trash and I was a tool for liking them.

Old May 23rd, 2017 (9:23 PM).
        PC's jacksepticeye enthusiast

Nature: Timid
          i honestly don't think there's any animes out there i regret watching. clannad i freakin' love still. the characters and story is so good, and it was the first anime i ever finished. elfen lied, sure the ending disappointed me, but i'm glad i watched it. i also watched mirai nikki (future diary) and i'm glad i got into that too. idk. there's a bunch of anime i tried to watch and didn't finish (like sailor moon, but i do really want to finish it, even if there are a lot of movies or something and i purely like the aesthetic of the show, as well as tokyo mew mew, but i really want to finish that too). i also did watch various episodes of yugioh gx and i enjoyed that too, even if looking back now the english dub is hell.

but yeah i dunno. i don't really regret watching any of the anime that i did when i was younger. if i hadn't watched any of the ones that came on 4kids (like kirby right back at cha, sonic x or mew mew power/tokyo mew mew), then i probably would've never found out about anime. i'm the only sibling in my family that likes anime tbh. my little sister thinks its cringe, all of it, and my big sister never got into it, but *shrug*. i'm glad i found out about anime, even if it was crappy english dubs on 4kids.
          Old May 24th, 2017 (6:08 AM).
          1/2,578,917 ☆

I don't regret watching anything but I must confess I can hardly believe I could stand CGI animation in general terms. Nowadays it hurts my eyes to alarming levels lmao.

As I am a robot, I am incapable of dreaming, but... how shall I put it? I have very much longed to
            MyanimeList » Last FM »
            Old August 2nd, 2017 (11:59 AM).

As 90s kid, I can't believe I was into Kobo-chan and Chibi Maruko-chan..
              Old August 2nd, 2017 (9:41 PM).

Nature: Mild
                I used to watch nothing but shonen up until I was about 18. Not sure what changed, but just never appealed to me anymore. Heck, almost any kind of action I don't watch anymore.

My tastes more converted to slight moe and romance/slice of life type deal. Clannad actually gave me a gigantic shove in that direction. Played the VN, watched the anime, never turned back.

I do Top 5's and 10's!!! =) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzjm9LgHjOX84HONdbyNROw
                Old August 13th, 2017 (5:18 PM).
                Bloodthirsty Warrior

I think I don't really regret watching any of the anime when I was young... my childhood was about Dragon Ball, Doraemon, Ranma 1/2 and Dr. Slump .etc
                  Old June 7th, 2018 (3:07 AM).
                  Banned

I can't believe I was into Death note! There are so many better anime out there
                    Old September 21st, 2018 (4:51 PM).
                    ! צדק צדק תרדוף

Nature: Calm
                      Sorry for the slight necro, the last one was ten months though so I think I'm fine, haha. I don't regret most of the anime I was into, since all of it was pretty original and interesting. One I do regret, though, is Attack on Titan ... I mean, I couldn't have known in the beginning what it was going to turn out to be, but I still feel stupid for initially being so into something written by an imperialist that turned into Holocaust fanfiction. :/ Let me tell you, seeing the stuff that's in the latest chapters is absolutely vile especially considering my background and ethnicity. I would never have dreamed of getting into it if I knew that was where it was going to end up, and that the author was who he was.

Everything else I was into when I was younger, though, I'm pretty okay with ... I was never into a lot of the stuff other kids were. Even when I was, like Sailor Moon, for instance, it was still original and interesting even if it is kind of for kids. The stuff for younger audiences, I usually watch the subs of nowadays, so I don't cringe like I would hearing some of the old late 90s/early 00s dubbing, which helps keep me from feeling embarrassed.

Oh, I do agree with mangalover101, though. I remember falling head over heels for Light when I was but a wee highschooler. Now I look at him and I'm like ... I was into that guy? The series is probably suspenseful if you don't have prior experience with it, but since I do, it just feels old and kinda lame to me. The live action was pretty funny, though, in that "it's so bad that it's funny" way. I would say "the M Night Shamalayan" way, but his stuff is just so bad that it's literally not even funny.
                      Old September 21st, 2018 (5:03 PM).
                      Banned

Nature: Hasty
                      The Pokemon anime. I used to love it. That's literally the most embarrassing thing from my past in anime I can think of.
                      Old September 29th, 2018 (9:06 AM).
                      (≧∇≦)/

Nature: Timid
                      fairy tail
                      i liked it up until acnologia's introduction right before the timeskip, but a shift to new animators was when it really started to dawn on me how...not good of a series it was. i picked up the manga around that time and the blatant fanservice + winning battles with no effort other than friendship (but mostly fanservice, won't lie) really grated me. i still adore Mystogan as a character and sometimes even wish we could go back to when the series was newer and more people seemed to enjoy it. it's nowhere near as good of a series as the younger me thought. =(

pair family mal llsif bandori ffxiv art
                      sheep x bobandbill 5ever
                      Old September 29th, 2018 (10:58 AM).
                      thick steamy gunpla resin

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Enpatsu Shakugan View Post
                        The Pokemon anime. I used to love it. That's literally the most embarrassing thing from my past in anime I can think of.
                        Is a child liking children's tv embarrassing really?

Pokemon anime is still the best part of the franchise though.
                        Old September 29th, 2018 (5:21 PM). Edited September 29th, 2018 by MysticalNinetales.
                        Mysteriosity is Beauty

Nature: Sassy
                        I used to really enjoy Sword Art Online.
                        The concept of a group of people becoming helplessly trapped in a simulation/virtual reality game is quite compelling. However, the series failed to live up to its potential. Initially, I was enthralled by the show, although Sao quickly developed into an utterly meaningless, repetitive series. A new character would be introduced and in the blink of an eye they'd be disposed of completely. It became this sort of never ending cycle of diminishing characters, which was very unappealing to me. Moreover, the plot itself just became so immensely bland. I finished season 1 and have no interest in any of the following seasons.
                        Old September 30th, 2018 (8:43 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by MysticalNinetales View Post
                        I used to really enjoy Sword Art Online.
                        The concept of a group of people becoming helplessly trapped in a simulation/virtual reality game is quite compelling. However, the series failed to live up to its potential. Initially, I was enthralled by the show, although Sao quickly developed into an utterly meaningless, repetitive series. A new character would be introduced and in the blink of an eye they'd be disposed of completely. It became this sort of never ending cycle of diminishing characters, which was very unappealing to me. Moreover, the plot itself just became so immensely bland. I finished season 1 and have no interest in any of the following seasons.
                        Would probably be a good idea to avoid anything by Reki Kawahara or adapted from stuff by him because they're all kinda like this.
                        Old October 2nd, 2018 (8:59 PM). Edited October 2nd, 2018 by MysticalNinetales.
                        Mysteriosity is Beauty

Nature: Sassy
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
                        Would probably be a good idea to avoid anything by Reki Kawahara or adapted from stuff by him because they're all kinda like this.
                        Thank you! I will make a mental note to avoid anime that he's had any sort of involvement with.

Quick Reply