• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga I can't believe I was into {name of anime/manga here}

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Are there any anime or manga you used to be into when you were younger, but could never see yourself getting into ever again/now? Why?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I think before I really liked some tatsunoko shows like Yatterman and Gatchaman the Science Ninjas... actually I still like those shows a lot but I think the hype was just diluted a bit by some of the anime I now watch that are now my favourites.

Maybe they just didn't age well? I'll need to watch them again aha.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
A lot of shoujo manga I was into when I was in middle school, honestly. Stuff like Kamichama Karin, Kitchen Princess, Marmalade Boy are stuff I just could never get into now. Although there are plenty of shoujo manga I still read and shoujo anime I still watch, it's the older ones I just can't really like anymore. The only one I'm still really all for is Fruits Basket because it was my first manga that got me into animanga, so it's important to me.

I guess most of those are too straight for me, or just don't work for me in today's time? Idk.

pkmin3033

I was really, REALLY into Bakugan when it was first released. I still think New Vestroia is a really good series. It was like watching Duelist Kingdom in YGO, only more violent...I swear they just made it up as they went along, but it was surprisingly dark for a kid's show and it was comprised almost entirely of random battles between dragons and monsters. And Spectra was an amazing villain. Mechtanium Surge was pretty good too. I was actually sad when it ended. Thinking about it makes me cringe, and it makes me want to rewatch it at the same time. Sigh.

I'm embarrassed to admit there was a time when I thought the original Hellsing and Elfen Lied were good shows, too. I'd only just started watching anime though, so I think I deserve a little leeway here...

Years
My tastes have broadened but I wouldn't say that they've changed too much. If I liked a series 10 years ago there's a good chance I'd still like it now.

A lot of shoujo manga I was into when I was in middle school, honestly. Stuff like Kamichama Karin, Kitchen Princess, Marmalade Boy are stuff I just could never get into now. Although there are plenty of shoujo manga I still read and shoujo anime I still watch, it's the older ones I just can't really like anymore. The only one I'm still really all for is Fruits Basket because it was my first manga that got me into animanga, so it's important to me.

I guess most of those are too straight for me, or just don't work for me in today's time? Idk.

I'm not going to go near the last part of this post but in regards to ''older ones''. Have you seen/read the the likes of Oniisama e...., Revolutionary Girl Utena or Rose of Versailles? Shoujo encompasses far more than the series you just listed.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I'm not going to go near the last part of this post but in regards to ''older ones''. Have you seen/read the the likes of Oniisama e...., Revolutionary Girl Utena or Rose of Versailles? Shoujo encompasses far more than the series you just listed.

Seen Utena and Versailles. I'm fine with those. Probably wouldn't go through those series a second time, but I've seen them. I strictly mean the manga for what I said in my post. (Since Kitchen Princess doesn't have an anime anyway.)

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
Hmm.... if it's only anime then the myriad of .Hack shows I watched in the late 90's early 2000's

The original games quadrology haven't aged well at all... .hack// G.U. still kicks butt tho XD

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
Off the top of my head, I can only think of D.N.Angel and Elfen Lied. Maaaybe Desert Punk too, but the ending was kinda okay.

Defo to the first two, tho.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
I used to be a huge weeb as a kid and would watch thing just because they were from Japan. There's a lot of those shows I think were pretty trash and I was a tool for liking them.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
i honestly don't think there's any animes out there i regret watching. clannad i freakin' love still. the characters and story is so good, and it was the first anime i ever finished. elfen lied, sure the ending disappointed me, but i'm glad i watched it. i also watched mirai nikki (future diary) and i'm glad i got into that too. idk. there's a bunch of anime i tried to watch and didn't finish (like sailor moon, but i do really want to finish it, even if there are a lot of movies or something and i purely like the aesthetic of the show, as well as tokyo mew mew, but i really want to finish that too). i also did watch various episodes of yugioh gx and i enjoyed that too, even if looking back now the english dub is hell.

but yeah i dunno. i don't really regret watching any of the anime that i did when i was younger. if i hadn't watched any of the ones that came on 4kids (like kirby right back at cha, sonic x or mew mew power/tokyo mew mew), then i probably would've never found out about anime. i'm the only sibling in my family that likes anime tbh. my little sister thinks its cringe, all of it, and my big sister never got into it, but *shrug*. i'm glad i found out about anime, even if it was crappy english dubs on 4kids.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
I don't regret watching anything but I must confess I can hardly believe I could stand CGI animation in general terms. Nowadays it hurts my eyes to alarming levels lmao.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
I used to watch nothing but shonen up until I was about 18. Not sure what changed, but just never appealed to me anymore. Heck, almost any kind of action I don't watch anymore.

My tastes more converted to slight moe and romance/slice of life type deal. Clannad actually gave me a gigantic shove in that direction. Played the VN, watched the anime, never turned back.

Bioses

Bloodthirsty Warrior
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 13, 2017
I think I don't really regret watching any of the anime when I was young... my childhood was about Dragon Ball, Doraemon, Ranma 1/2 and Dr. Slump .etc

lv255

! צדק צדק תרדוף
Years
Sorry for the slight necro, the last one was ten months though so I think I'm fine, haha. I don't regret most of the anime I was into, since all of it was pretty original and interesting. One I do regret, though, is Attack on Titan ... I mean, I couldn't have known in the beginning what it was going to turn out to be, but I still feel stupid for initially being so into something written by an imperialist that turned into Holocaust fanfiction. :/ Let me tell you, seeing the stuff that's in the latest chapters is absolutely vile especially considering my background and ethnicity. I would never have dreamed of getting into it if I knew that was where it was going to end up, and that the author was who he was.

Everything else I was into when I was younger, though, I'm pretty okay with ... I was never into a lot of the stuff other kids were. Even when I was, like Sailor Moon, for instance, it was still original and interesting even if it is kind of for kids. The stuff for younger audiences, I usually watch the subs of nowadays, so I don't cringe like I would hearing some of the old late 90s/early 00s dubbing, which helps keep me from feeling embarrassed.

Oh, I do agree with mangalover101, though. I remember falling head over heels for Light when I was but a wee highschooler. Now I look at him and I'm like ... I was into that guy? The series is probably suspenseful if you don't have prior experience with it, but since I do, it just feels old and kinda lame to me. The live action was pretty funny, though, in that "it's so bad that it's funny" way. I would say "the M Night Shamalayan" way, but his stuff is just so bad that it's literally not even funny.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
The Pokemon anime. I used to love it. That's literally the most embarrassing thing from my past in anime I can think of.

Back