• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon running outo of ideas?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Believes not. Switched up the usual gym formula in Alola. Introduced different battle styles like Triple, Rotation, Inverse, and Max Raids. Added gimmicks like Megas, Z-Crystals, and Dynamax. Designed Pokemon with multiple superficial forms like Deerling and Vivillon, as well as functional variations like Alolan and Galarian forms. Tried more substantial changes with Let's Go and Legends: Arceus. Stuck in smaller touches like playing with your Pokemon in Amie/Refresh/Camp and trainer customization.

Sticks close to the original formula, yes. Does not mean new ideas have not appeared.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    nah that money be rolling in too good for them to stop making at least somewhat quality content

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Of course not. There's still plenty of ideas, in my opinion. Pokemon isn't going to run out of ideas any time soon. Contrary to what people may think, Game Freak is still pretty creative.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm of the same mind as Palamon. At least regarding regions and environments and characters, they're being far more creative and extravagant these days than in the first few gens. There's plennnnty of more things to milk for money create and enjoy in this franchise, I believe.

However, I do stand by that later pokémon designs are often blergh compared to early ones. I just prefer the cute Kanto and Johto styles forever.

Years
  • Not really.

Sure, sometimes a new mon design is a bit close to something that already exists.
    I think they've been doing a solid job at designing mons at least. There's always at least a couple good new designs to look forward to for me in each new gen, and there's less duds than in the older gens =3

Alola and Legends Arceus were also quite the breath of fresh air!

Years
  • I don't think so. The most important thing to me are Pokémon designs and they're still creating really amazing ones each generation. Love a lot of Galar designs and the starters for gen 9 are some of the best yet. :} The game formula itself works well too, and is always a lot of fun. So yeah, definitely wouldn't say they're running out of ideas - I think they're just not too keen to experiment as much with new things with how well the series does using the existing formula.

Years
  • no

it's probably to a lot of people's chagrin (even mine, to some extent) that Game Freak simply won't move on from the gym challenge formula, but i mean... it's what has been working and what has been generating profits, so there's no reason in their eyes to stop now. that said, they have been making efforts to deviate from the traditional formula when and if possible (legends: arceus being the biggest example), which is most certainly welcome. i personally wish they'd do that a bit more often, though.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    They've been doing a lot of one-off gimmicks. That makes me believe they still have enough ideas to spare for a bunch of generations yet to come.

They did stop introducing bigger changes. The last one must have been Fairy Types in gen 6, I think? Though, that's also "just" two generations ago. They do have a tried and true formula they've used for ages and they do keep it around. But I don't think that's too bad. After all, we see them playing around with some of those mechanics, as well.

I do wish we got a new exploration mechanic, though. Taking away HMs left a hole they still haven't managed to fill to this day (Thinking maybe something like Xenoblade 2s Field Skill mechanic).

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I'm starting think people saying that Pokemon is running
    Out because of the moto lizard legendary Pokemon and the MegaMan esque Pokemon.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I wouldn't say so. If anything, these are evidence of them having ideas since they're concepts we haven't seen before in Pokémon unlike say "Generic fish", "Generic bird", "Generic rodent" and so on.

And of course, both Legends Arceus and Gen IV (based on trailers) have a very different look and feel from other games in the main Pokémon franchise.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Definitively not running out of ideas IMO. Actually I would say that they are giving us back pending ideas, sort of. Farigiraf is already a closer connection to the original Girafarig concept from the G2 betas, for example, and "Pokémon battles on motorcycles" has been a meme since at least R&S but now we can have Pokémon battles on motorcycles that are Pokémon. Being able to expand well to regions based on Countries That Are Not Japan (of which there's like, at least 208 and I'm not counting eg.: US states or regional provinces) is also a good indicator.

GF's issue lies not in not having ideas. It lies in extremely bad quality of implementation, in no small part due to an "agile development" style release schedule.

Back