• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Debate Death Penalty

Years
  • Hey all, been a while since we had a discussion relating to this but what is your honest opinion on one being sentenced to death? Are there crimes where you feel death would be a viable solution? Do you believe everyone deserves a chance at rehabilitation? Why?

For me, I always have the panging feeling of "what if this person is innocent and was wrongly convicted? What if they lose their life for nothing? Can the courts really decide to put their family through this?" Also if you're in prison for life you have plenty of time to be eaten away by the guilt of what you have done, or have the other inmates inspire it in you.

Years
  • You can't undo death. I don't think it's worth the moral risk of a false conviction. There will always be criminals who get away with injustice regardless of whatever criminal system you choose but you can avoid taking innocent life, which would be the greatest injustice.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I view it as immoral. I don't believe that murder is justifiable whatsoever. I don't think that anyone has the right to decide when other's life should end. As a Christian, I believe that is up to God. Furthermore, I strongly believe in rehabilitation. Of course, you can't rehabilitate everyone, however, I think that many (if not a majority) of those that commit heinous crimes have psychological issues that can be perhaps be treated in some fashion. I don't think locking someone up and throwing the way the key deals with these possible underlying issues, nor do I think that terminating someone's existence is at all necessary. Call me naïve, but I believe everyone deserves a second chance at life, even if it is a life behind bars.

pkmin3033

Honestly yes, I think the death penalty is a viable solution for some crimes, where it has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the person committed that crime. Why should the taxpayer pay to keep these people locked away so that they don't commit any further crimes when they're beyond hope of rehabilitation, or the crime is so serious that it's not safe to allow them back into society? They're nothing more than a drain on society's resources at that point. I don't think the right to life of a murderer who killed someone with deliberate intent should be respected when they deliberately took away that right for someone else, for example.

Prison really isn't that much of a punishment. I don't think there is any evidence that suggests the death penalty is a deterrent, but it would mean the removal of the problem, rather than just keeping them locked away in relative comfort for the rest of their lives...not even that, sometimes.

Last edited:

Kolar™

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2020
    Death penalty, huh? As far as i am concerned, i don't think it happens even twice a year. So why bother? There are so many type injustice going on, also i believe, 95% of death sentence at modern times for the real guilty once, and they deserve it. So here is my answer, death penalty might be a injustice, but it is a far far less one and more a good punishment.

Years
  • Honestly yes, I think the death penalty is a viable solution for some crimes, where it has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the person committed that crime. Why should the taxpayer pay to keep these people locked away so that they don't commit any further crimes when they're beyond hope of rehabilitation, or the crime is so serious that it's not safe to allow them back into society? They're nothing more than a drain on society's resources at that point. I don't think the right to life of a murderer who killed someone with deliberate intent should be respected when they deliberately took away that right for someone else, for example.

Prison really isn't that much of a punishment. I don't think there is any evidence that suggests the death penalty is a deterrent, but it would mean the removal of the problem, rather than just keeping them locked away in relative comfort for the rest of their lives...not even that, sometimes.

It actually costs more to pursue the death penalty than it does to just keep someone locked up and prison is not nearly as nice and easy as a lot of people want to portray it, especially prisons like the US run (and they're not even the worst).

As for my own stance, not only do I take moral issue with it on account of the potential for accidentally taking the life of someone innocent - as has happened several times before - but I'm also of the opinion that if you've committed a crime severe enough to earn the death penalty, then you probably don't deserve the release of death. You should live out the rest of your days in misery.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Maybe I'm an edge lord misanthropist but I've never really cared. If someone's a known kid diddler and we kill them, that's fine with me. I've also never believed that pursuing a death penalty somehow costs more than keeping someone alive for 50 years but who knows, maybe it's got to do with the due process that goes into trying to get them in the chair or injected. Still, seems like it should cost a whole lot less than someone taking up resources but I've never looked too deeply into it. Probably due to the aforementioned apathy and somewhat to do with the fact that we don't go with the death penalty very often. Usually, at least in America, we're more likely to give them life without parole. And more power to those who deserve death who kill themselves while in prison -- gives the rest of us a lot less to worry about.

Still, most crimes aren't really good enough to warrant killing someone but some simply are (serial killers, said diddlers). As for keeping them locked up and letting the guilt eat away at or inmates have them for the rest of their lives, that seems a more torturous option (though serial killers and diddlers often don't feel remorse or guilt) but, again, I don't have any sympathy when it comes to people who truly deserve such a fate.

tl;dr, I'm pretty apathetic on this topic.
    *cue the Emo Kid song; Dear Diary, Mood: Apathetic*

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • Death penalty, huh? As far as i am concerned, i don't think it happens even twice a year. So why bother?

It happened 22 times last year in America alone.

And we are not even in the top ten of countries who do it the most often.

Years
  • So my main problem with the death penalty is this; we as taxpayers waste billions of dollars every year trying to get it to stick. They appeal it a billion times every time someone gets it and 80% of the time they can appeal out of it. It actually costs MORE to put someone to death than to just let 'em rot in jail. As far as ethics, most people put to death 100% deserve it. And the justice system runs a fine tooth comb through all the evidence and whatnot before sentencing to death nowadays. So, it's pretty difficult for an innocent person to get sent to their death.

Maybe I'm an edge lord misanthropist but I've never really cared. If someone's a known kid diddler and we kill them, that's fine with me. I've also never believed that pursuing a death penalty somehow costs more than keeping someone alive for 50 years but who knows, maybe it's got to do with the due process that goes into trying to get them in the chair or injected. Still, seems like it should cost a whole lot less than someone taking up resources but I've never looked too deeply into it. Probably due to the aforementioned apathy and somewhat to do with the fact that we don't go with the death penalty very often. Usually, at least in America, we're more likely to give them life without parole. And more power to those who deserve death who kill themselves while in prison -- gives the rest of us a lot less to worry about.

Still, most crimes aren't really good enough to warrant killing someone but some simply are (serial killers, said diddlers). As for keeping them locked up and letting the guilt eat away at or inmates have them for the rest of their lives, that seems a more torturous option (though serial killers and diddlers often don't feel remorse or guilt) but, again, I don't have any sympathy when it comes to people who truly deserve such a fate.

tl;dr, I'm pretty apathetic on this topic.
    *cue the Emo Kid song; Dear Diary, Mood: Apathetic*

So the main thing that costs more to send someone to death is legal counsel. Because of their right to appeal, most are appealed for atleast a decade. Therefore, the court appointed lawyer they get fighting it ends up costs the taxpayer a pretty penny.

Last edited by a moderator:

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    So the main thing that costs more to send someone to death is legal counsel. Because of their right to appeal, most are appealed for atleast a decade. Therefore, the court appointed lawyer they get fighting it ends up costs the taxpayer a pretty penny.

Ah, so lawyers are basically the devil. Well, that makes sense.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • So my main problem with the death penalty is this; we as taxpayers waste billions of dollars every year trying to get it to stick. They appeal it a billion times every time someone gets it and 80% of the time they can appeal out of it. It actually costs MORE to put someone to death than to just let 'em rot in jail. As far as ethics, most people put to death 100% deserve it. And the justice system runs a fine tooth comb through all the evidence and whatnot before sentencing to death nowadays. So, it's pretty difficult for an innocent person to get sent to their death.

As far as cost goes, read this:

https://ballotpedia.org/Fact_check/Is_the_death_penalty_more_expensive_than_life_in_prison

If America does indeed want to look like the moral side, we should abolish it. Remember when I said 22 executions doesn't even put us in the top ten? China does not release its numbers, but the number they executed last year alone is rumored to be over a thousand.

Ah, so lawyers are basically the devil. Well, that makes sense.

Ah yes, the old reliable Evil Lawyer Jokes. Just remember, jokes like that are funny up to the very minute you need to hire one.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
  • I would say it's more morally justifiable to have someone proven innocent and given a chance to leave the slammer alive after spending years for something they haven't done rather than kill them and deal with the moral impact of killing someone and finding out they were innocent all along.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    It is not a problem of who deserves what but who can judge. Life is equally easy as death and both of them cannot be seperated. Life creates life and also taking it, since there're no convenient reaper-like gods with the exception of time. Dealing death is possible, even in pseudo-democracies that modern people know. But to make it 'fair' it cannot be left to chosen elites, because of corruption. If a person is killing a part of the nation (its citizen) then the nation (all) should eliminate such threat (together). To understand the law is to understand what a state really is, what functions nations are carrying. We are not living in our countries just to take but also to give. For the sake of the future, threats must be eliminated. One thing for sure is that world don't really care for such details.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • Wrongful convictions are always a big big issue for death sentences.
    I've heard of hundreds of stories of people wrongfully convicted, killed on the death sentence, and then a few years later being found innocent.
    It's a tragedy.

Back