• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Dungeon

Years
  • What has been the worst area/dungeon/level you have encountered in your video gaming history? How come it was so bad for you, was it bad design, an impossible boss, a secret item you could just never get?

I mean we all knoww everyone's top answer is this fucking place...

yCWb63C.jpg

So we'll go with your second worst ones!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Although I love the game a lot, some of the dungeons in Tales of Graces f are terrible. It's amazing anyone ever gets into the game when one of the earliest dungeons is Wallbridge, an absolute maze. The final dungeon for the main story and the added story are both horrific and like every other dungeon would have my roommates and I going "why are we still playing this game?" even on our 3rd or 4th playthroughs, lol.

Years
  • i'd say the temple of the ocean king in legend of zelda: phantom hourglass is probably the worst imo. i'm not a fan timed stealth portions in video games in general, and that's all this dungeon is. @_@

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • SMT: Strange Journey has one dungeon call Sector E that's full of warp tiles. The map is huge, with poison floors, pitfalls, and a ton of tiles that send you back to the beginning... 😠

SMT: Nocturne has the Amala Labyrinth which gets pretty bad the deeper you go, but that one is completely optional so I wouldn't put it ahead of Sector E.

pkmin3033

Fire Island Volcano in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, because I never want to leave it. One minute you're strolling through the Australian outback, then you're in Riverdance and that's it. God damn that track.

...but yeah, for mandatory dungeons I'd say the Great Crystal in Final Fantasy XII, because there is no map, and everything looks the same, and it is VERY easy to get turned around. It's the only part of the game where I follow a guide to the letter with maps laid out in front of me, and I don't care what that says about me. The first time I got lost in there for about five hours. Never again. I love FFXII, but I hope they fired whoever designed that fucking dungeon.

I can think of worse Zelda dungeons than the Water Temple, too. Jabu Jabu's Belly in Oracle of Ages springs to mind...as does the Sky Temple in Twilight Princess.

Cid

Years
  • Anything involving slippery floors or dropping boulders through floors at just the right spot in the early Pokémon games gave me a headache as a kid. I'm a lot better at them now than I used to, but it was still a pain to get through them.

Years
  • I honestly don't remember most dungeons off the top of my head from non-mmo games, which means they probably didn't annoy me that much, but I'll just do a blanket: water temples in general.

- The one from OoT of course, although I can get through that with few problems nowadays so it's gotten better.
    - Great Bay Temple from Majora's Mask made me quit the game, no joke. Finally got all the way through, couldn't beat the boss in time, was not about to redo all that. Haven't tried playing the game since, even though this was ages ago and I'm sure I could get through it now.
    - The Water Trial from Tales of Zestiria, while that wasn't at the level of a ragequit, was just really annoying in general. Oh what's that, you stepped in the wrong spot? Sucks to be you.

Seriously, is there some unwritten game rule that says "water-based dungeons should be annoying"?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • the fucking land of canaan is a bitch in xillia 2. there are like four possible pathways and it changes every time you go in? it's so fucking ridiculous. like i get it's the final dungeon, but it's annoying.

vile peaks in FF13 are annoying too. the enemies there are just hard to kill with what abilities sazh and vanille have at that point and you'll get stuck fighting those robot fuckers forever and a day. it's a pain.

and this might not count bc it's not a dungeon per se but more of a mission but fuck the tank level in jak II.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Stone Tower Temple from Majora's Mask. That place was such a pain. >:[ Anor Lando can eat a dick too, js.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2019
    I'll go ahead and admit to my weakness: Pokémon BW2's Victory Road.

Why, you ask? After all, Victory Road is never that difficult. Just a few Ace Trainers and some HM spots. Well yes, they are there and they are easy. But you know who ain't? That damn Hugh (or whatever you call your rival) showing up right at the end for one last battle.

This was during my White 2 challenge mode run, and I even added some extra limitations of my own like no healing in battle, very little switching etc. Most of my party was KO'd when he ambushed me outta nowhere, and I got promptly wiped. Had to walk all the way back up Victory Road all over again.

Damn you, Hugh.

User Anon 1848

Probably Wish Cave from the original PMD games. It was a 99 floor dungeon that reset your level to 5 upon entry iirc and you had to battle Jirachi at the end. You had to make this journey twice to recruit it and it could take far more attempts than that if the RNG gods weren't smiling on you. At least Celebi's 99 floor dungeon didn't force you to battle it and it would join your team automatically if I'm not mistaken. Mew's dungeon was a pain in the ass too because there was a good chance you wouldn't even find the thing and it had a very small recruitment rate.

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
    Years
  • deafently The nasty dungeon from Final fantasy legend 2. i played it and i kept dying and dying until i figured out i could easily run from the battles. but it still gives me the creeps as it had the most overpowered enemys IMO

Years
    • Seen today
    I never thought the Water Temple was that bad. The keys in the lobby can be troublesome, but after you find those the rest of the dungeon is pretty linear. The Great Bay temple is much worse. It's a similar dungeon, but with a time limit. I even thought the Lakebed temple in Twilight Princess was more complex than the Water Temple, since it had the giant rotating staircase.

My answer would the Mt. Itoi in Earthbound Beginnings. I grinded several levels each time I entered a new area in this game, and I was still horribly outmatched by the enemies here. You also lose your strongest party member halfway through. It's a dungeon of luck, since you have to constantly run or get crushed by everything.

Many of the NES game dungeons are brutal. The original Dragon Quest was another. No healing before the final boss, so that was also luck dependent because you have to run from enemies on the way there.

Last edited:

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • Hoenn's victory road in the GBA games is my worst nightmare, and I usually like going through victory road.

You need at minimum 4 HM moves to get trough. 5 counting the non-required flash, but it will make your life easier on the bottom floors.

It's full of strong and sometimes annoying trainers, without flash the bottom 2 floors are a nightmare, and don't even get me started on the waterfall segment.
    You can easily loop back to where you started because it all looks so samey there, I can never find the ladder to get back to on track to get to the league.

Even with flash that part is a nightmare.

Oh, and the worst version of the dungeon is in the original R/S, because of 1 little design choice. Putting Wally at the end can completely break your run of victory road, if you lose to him you have to trudge all the back through victory road just to face him again. Putting him at the end means you are more likely to lose to him
    because you already went through a bunch of Cooltrainers, therefore you're not at peak performance IE. your team might not have full HP and or full PP, and Wally is pretty strong. It never happened to me, but I can totally see it happening

This was fixed in Emerald, where he's put near the beginning.

At least when you're done with it, that's it. You can just fly to the League after that.

However I think OR/AS fixes victory road completely.

It's not a nightmare to navigate the bottom floors without flash, and in general I think the entire dungeon was easier to navigate. Yeah, Wally is still placed at the end, but I don't think going back to Ever-Grande to heal is as bad as in the GBA games.

Oh, and the ending maps with the flowers were a great touch IMO.

So yeah, Hoenn victory road in the GBA games (especially R/S) is just horrid, and the random encounters don't help. But at least you can use repel for that.

Back