• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It's pronounced ARKeus

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
  • Sometimes I feel the pronunciation of Rayquaza's name is Ray-quay-za, while other times I pronounce it as Ray-quah-za.

For the longest time for some reason, I pronounced Kyogre as Kai-or-ga.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • So apparantly, Piloswine isn?t pronounced Pillow-swine like I thought, but actually pronounced Pile-oswine? Though I?ve been using the former pronounciation for way too long to change it so...

Years
  • Maybe it's because I focused on the 'arc' in Arceus, but I've always pronounced it like a 'k' and not an 's', and actually found it weird when people pronounced it the other way.

Overall, I'm usually pretty good at converting to the proper pronunciation of Pokemon once I learn I've been saying it wrong, but that usually only happens early on in a generation. The only two that slipped by in recent memory were from Hoenn, as I'd been pronouncing Linoone as "lin-oone" instead of "line-oone", and Chimecho as "chime-cho" instead of "chime-echo" (even though I remember James having one in the anime, I ignored that somehow).

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • I consistently pronounce it Rayquaza as Ray-kwah-za. On the anime they say Ray-kway-za and I hate it.

I also pronounce Arcanine as Arc-anine (short a, similar to an "uh" sound) instead of Ar-kay-nine. (like canine, which makes sense, but I still don't like it hahah).

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2019
    I always pronounce Lopunny as "low-punny" instead of "lop-unny". I get why it's "lop-unny" but idk, it's hard for me to get used to.

edit: actually thinking about it, I don't even pronounce the word "Pokemon" right. It's supposed to be "Po-kay-mon" but that just sounds so awkward to me. It's "pokey-mon" END OF DISCUSSION

Last edited:

The Foogle

Gone For Good
    Years
  • I always pronounce Lopunny as "low-punny" instead of "lop-unny". I get why it's "lop-unny" but idk, it's hard for me to get used to.

edit: actually thinking about it, I don't even pronounce the word "Pokemon" right. It's supposed to be "Po-kay-mon" but that just sounds so awkward to me. It's "pokey-mon" END OF DISCUSSION

Same here I always pronounce it low-punny. I also always pronounced it arse-eus, and pokemon poke-uh-mon

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I always read Bunnelby as buh-NULL-bee, even knowing it's supposed to be pronounced BUNNEL-bee...It sounds nicer to me. >.<

Years
  • I always pronounce Rayquaza as "ray-KWAH-za," even though its name is based on the word quasar. I just prefer it that way
    I also have a tendency to say Vaporeon as "VUH-poreon" instead of "VAY-poreon," don't know why.

And then there's me when I was younger.....I'd always pronounce Beldum as "Bel-DOOM." Sounds dumb, I know.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I think it's possible that some Pokémon names can have more than one correct pronunciation, just as "Pokémon" itself, from what I've researched, has more than one correct pronunciation. I learned some time ago that "cicada" can be pronounced sik-KAY-duh or sik-KAH-duh, so I believe that Nincada could be pronounced nin-KAY-duh or nin-KAH-duh (or even neen-KAY-duh/neen-KAH-duh if you want to stay true to the Japanese pronunciation of ninja). Arceus has been pronounced ar-KEE-iss, ar-KAY-iss, and ar-SEE-us officially.

For ages I somehow butchered Ho-Oh's name as HOO-oh (part of it may have been younger me thinking HO-oh sounded naughty).

EDIT: If you look at the Japanese spelling of Arceus, it's possible that the K sound may have never been the intended pronunciation. It's アルセウス (A-ru-se-u-su), not アルケウス (A-ru-ke-u-su). It's also possible that the original pronunciation was censored due to sounding vulgar.

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • It appears I am one of those who pronounces the c in arceus as an s, just realized my mistake. I feel dumb.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • When I was much younger, I didn't know how to say "Kyogre." My cousin scammed me by telling me that it's pronounced Ky-oag-ray. He told me that the 'e' at the end had an accent, and had to pronounce it like an "ayy" because it was Spanish. Because I was really small and also didn't speak Spanish (and never heard actual Spanish) I assumed that he was telling me the truth. And I continued to say it like that until I was 10 or 11... By this time I was well aware of how Spanish sounded, but I was too stupid to actually know that I had been tricked.

Years
  • I pronounced Kyogre as Ky-org for years before I found out it's real pronunciation. And needless to say, I was pretty miffed. :s

... Same could be said for Rayquaza, in which I pronounced it quite literally as "Ray-qua-za". Sigh.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well I can't participate fully in this thread because I likely pronounce all Pok?mon names "wrong", including Pikachu d: Since I learned the names with a Swedish accent. Pikachu for me sounds like "pick-up choo" almost, but without the p of course.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • When I was much younger, I didn't know how to say "Kyogre." My cousin scammed me by telling me that it's pronounced Ky-oag-ray. He told me that the 'e' at the end had an accent, and had to pronounce it like an "ayy" because it was Spanish. Because I was really small and also didn't speak Spanish (and never heard actual Spanish) I assumed that he was telling me the truth. And I continued to say it like that until I was 10 or 11... By this time I was well aware of how Spanish sounded, but I was too stupid to actually know that I had been tricked.

I thought the pronunciation was ky-oag-ray before hearing its name in the anime. Well, more like kee-oh-gray.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ray like manta ray would definitely make more sense than... ogre.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • Le'ts take a moment to appreciate I still mispronounce one of my favorite Pokemon since I'm so used to saying it wrong... GARDEVOIR
    I used to pronounce it as guard a vore.
    I was close, but so not XD

Back