• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Character Description

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I really don't do much for physical description unless it's plot relevant. It's because my writing style doesn't seem to leave room for physical description, and also I'm mostly writing fanfiction and therefore am dealing with canon characters. I do describe original characters, but again with just plot relevant details.

Also, I think physical description was advised against many times in all the years I've spent reading about writing, so I've been trained not to have it in there unless it's important to know.

Bay

Years
  • Like Astinus, lately I haven't done too much physical descriptions as they tend to be canon characters and if their looks will be plot relevant. On my most recent works I perhaps mention a thing or two on their looks and what they're wearing, though that's usually if a character recognizes that person and such.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Without that sensory detail, your story may as well feature source less voices in a colorless, empty box.
    Sensory detail is definitely useful, but it doesn't have to come from how the characters look. It can come from the setting or action as well. I'm also of the opinion that if the characters' voices and personalities are sufficiently well defined, then readers won't have any trouble imagining them to have an appearance that's appropriate to the character, and moreover that they won't notice or mind.

The approach I usually take is to try to convey a complete emotional picture of a character, and to include physical description only where it contributes to that emotional picture. For example, I might include height if a character has a complex about being short, or maybe I'll mention the difference in height and physique between two characters if it affects the power dynamic between them. By default I leave height and basically any other physical descriptor out unless I think of a character- or plot-based reason to include them. Speaking anecdotally, I've never gotten a complaint for leaving out characters' physical descriptions, even in stories where I gave their rough ages and genders and that's it.

Years
  • I used to be really ham about describing characters, because I was more used to drawing and therefore having an exact picture of them, but now I narrow it down to specific physical details, ie bright red frizzy hair, a scar taking up half their face...

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I usually just do a general body description; hair, eyes, female's mouths, body type i.e. weight and height and so on. If there's something important or different about them though I'll touch in on that, such as a limp, missing limb, lazy eye or a piece of jewelry.

Especially for more romantic writing I don't like when people skimp out on more intricate facial and hand features and also the way that people don't describe the way that someone's face appears in climactic moments.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I honestly don't know how most of the characters look like in stories I've read, unless I've seen some piece of art of them. I rarely remember the intricacies of the description anyway, so while stuff like 'long blonde hair' will stay with me, descriptions that take more than two or three paragraphs are generally quickly forgotten. Especially because as soon as the description starts to sound even just vaguely like a character I know, or an actor, their face just takes its place. Because of that, I don't really use very detailed descriptions in my writing either. A quick rundown of the list of general features such as length, weight and hairstyle and color, and anything that is meant to stand out, but other than that, I try to keep it down.

Back