• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Curious if this sounds like a good idea:

The Tri-Starter Challenge
-You must complete one game three different times.
-You must use one starter per run
-No using the same starter in different runs
-You cannot use any pokemon more than once between runs. IE If you use raticate in one run, you cannot use it in another.

My Preferred Rules:
-Set Battle Type
-No using items in battle besides pokeballs

The second and third rule seem a bit redundant. That said, I think it could be interesting.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
I'm doing grass type starter only run in radical red but am stuck at koga as his swellow out speed everyone and ohko plz suggest a strategy

11wildy

Me!
Years
I'm doing quite a fun challenge right now. I am prohibiting myself from using any pokemon, any moves or any items (in battle) unless they are introduced in that generation. Starting in gen 2. With a level limit to stop overlevelling

This means I used 3 Unown to beat Falkner, Hidden Power was my only available gen 2 move. After Falkner my Cyndaquil could learn Mud-Slap!

Also needed that same Unown with HP Fire to beat Bugsy...

And to beat Morty I had to breed an Eevee, evolve it to Umbreon before level 16 to get Pursuit. So now I'm grinding that.

My Return Granbull wrecks stuff, Quilava's best move is Rollout (until I get Flame Wheel) and Umbreon has Nightmare/Attract just to get rid of another 2 earlier gen moves

This is harder than it seemed at first xD

Years
I'm doing quite a fun challenge right now. I am prohibiting myself from using any pokemon, any moves or any items (in battle) unless they are introduced in that generation. Starting in gen 2. With a level limit to stop overlevelling

This means I used 3 Unown to beat Falkner, Hidden Power was my only available gen 2 move. After Falkner my Cyndaquil could learn Mud-Slap!

Also needed that same Unown with HP Fire to beat Bugsy...

And to beat Morty I had to breed an Eevee, evolve it to Umbreon before level 16 to get Pursuit. So now I'm grinding that.

My Return Granbull wrecks stuff, Quilava's best move is Rollout (until I get Flame Wheel) and Umbreon has Nightmare/Attract just to get rid of another 2 earlier gen moves

This is harder than it seemed at first xD
That's some dedication. Good luck with finishing it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i considered doing something like that at one point too but damn that really does take some dedication lol

11wildy

Me!
Years
Honestly, it adds a proper challenge and some thinking to an otherwise easy game.
Right now it's almost casual, just not having optimal movesets and coverage with my 4 Pokemon. I'm considering catching Skarmory, but it will suck until Kanto when it gets Steel Wing. it's not that great, maybe I'll stick with Typhlosion, Granbull, Umbreon and Lanturn

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Alchemy Run Challenge

1. Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released or put in the Pokémon Storage System permanently (or may be transferred to another game, as long as the Pokémon is never able to be used again during this run).
1a. Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. To revive a dead Pokemon, you must give up a Pokemon of equal level, or a Pokemon who's levels add up to that dead Pokemon's level.
1b. Reviving a Pokemon may only be done once.
Optional: Pokemon revived by this method may have a restriction, such as only three moves, no using held items, etc.

2. The player may only catch the first wild Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first wild Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances. If the first encounter in the area is a double battle, the player is free to choose which of the two wild Pokémon they would like to catch but may only catch one of them. This restriction does not apply to Pokémon able to be captured during static encounters, nor to Shiny Pokémon.

3. The player must nickname all of their Pokémon, for the sake of forming stronger emotional bonds.

4. The player may only use Pokémon they have captured themselves.

5. The player may not voluntarily reset and reload the game whenever things go wrong. Being able to do so would render all of the other rules pointless.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 25, 2022
Thoughts on a dual type challenge and ways to make it interesting? Here are some of my ideas:

1. Must always have the same distribution of types on your team, except when using one pokemon (ie one pokemon with type 1 and one with type 2, one pokemon with type 1 + one pokemon with type 2 + one pokemon with both types, etc). You can catch pokemon and put them in your pc for later, but cannot battle with them until your type distribution is even.

2. Obviously set rotation/no auto switching

Also, I was thinking about a "Theme" challenge where you choose a tv show, game, or book you really like or are currently interested in and another person will come up with a type/theme requirement for your run/challenge based on it. Additionally, you could specify if you want to do a specific character from that book/game/show etc or a theme based on the entire work, but if you choose a character perhaps the other user chooses which it would be? Tbh, I am really only interested in doing this due to my current hyper fixation on the game omori and want to do challenges based on what I believe each character's type preferences would be.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
anyone doing anything fun that doesn't have a challenge thread lately? i've been streaming a couple of challenges. doing 1st route pokemon only in emerald which has been really fun and not as hard? except for the wattson fight lol fuck that. and then i'm doing no move left behind in yellow which has been interesting too. forces me to use pokemon i normally wouldn't, which i always appreciate in a challenge. there is a thread for it somewhere years ago that i made, but i didn't want to revive it aha.

i do intend to play through each gen in both challenges though, i'm really looking forward to how difficult gen 4 1st route will be considering that's just. what? starly, bidoof, and MAYBE kricketot? hahaha. i'm in danger :)

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
Hi,

Please give me a challenge for a youtube series.
Maybe something rage inducing for the content.
Also something not too hard like the emerald kaiso hardcore nuzlocke.

Thank you

-----

I've put your original message in this thread instead of in the new post you made, as per the rules and FAQs of this section! It works way better in here and keeps the section clutter-free.

-----

That said, if you're looking for rage-inducing challenges, nuzlockes seem to be your best bet. Add in some random events such as the ones in the Switchlocke or Apocalocke variants, or consider playing some games blind, and you have a pretty nice recipe! There are, of course, many other difficulty hacks that aren't as hard on you as Emerald Kaizo but still worth checking out, such as the Drayano hacks (for example, Blaze Black / Volt White).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 25, 2023
Hello! Does anyone know if the current manager of the Monotype thread is still open/active?

Only asking because I'm a huge fan of monotypes and I want to participate, and it would be rather hard without someone to register my participation in the first place, LOL.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Hello! Does anyone know if the current manager of the Monotype thread is still open/active?

Only asking because I'm a huge fan of monotypes and I want to participate, and it would be rather hard without someone to register my participation in the first place, LOL.

They seem to be active yeah, they were online like 3 hours ago.

That said, actually being listed isn't really that big a deal here, so feel free to just to sign up and start doing the challenge.

They'll get around to editing you in the OP eventually

Years
Hey guys, newbie here. I came up with an Avatar themed challenge I've been testing myself and so far it has been pretty interesting and balanced, but I'm open to suggestions to polish the challenge even further.

ATLA Challenge

1. Locked Starter (that's the Avatar)
    • must be always present in the team
    • must have one move from each nation as soon as possible
    Additional rule: Ash Mode. Starter can not evolve past their initial stage (in case they're already evolved when obtained if you're playing a randomizer for example).
  2. One slot saved for HM slave, always in the team, of course does not participate in battles and can be from any nation because they are the token non-bender.
  3. Four additional team members, one for each nation of the Avatar universe:

Water - Water, Ice, Grass, Poison
    Earth - Ground, Rock, Fighting, Steel
    Fire - Fire, Electric, Dark, Dragon
    Air - Flying, Bug, Psychic, Ghost

• Normal and Fairy types (the non-benders and Avatar reincarnations respectively) can represent any nation.
    • Dual types represent both nations. So if their typing matches two different nations,
    too bad, better find a Normal or Fairy type to compensate the empty spot.

• Should one team member faint during a main battle (trainers, gym leaders, etc.) they must be replaced with other Pokemon from the same nation type(s).
    • That fainted Pokemon is locked / banned from all following battles until the next badge is obtained. If all pokemon faint, you must restart the whole battle (this isn't a Nuzlocke after all)

Extra settings: Before battling the Elite 4 the HM Slave may be replaced with a legendary. They may as well be spirits aiding you in your quest.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 25, 2021
Hello guys i have one idea for lucky randomize pokemon challange(also for nuzlocking)
It should be call color and number challange
Idea:Colors are gona be types and numbers are gona be for pokedex
Basicly u put number of pokemons in ur pokedex and randomize it
after that u randomize color and for example u get
47 yellow and after that u are able to use electric type but here is a catch
47 number u can go in ur pokedex and see if there is any pokemon available 5 numbers above 47 and 5 numbers below of pokedex and if there is closest electric type between those numbers u are able to use that pokemon and this challange can be done by a lot of ways
For exampe every route u roll and see if u get lucky and thru ur run u are able to catch that pokemon

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
This seems to be the random challenge but with extra steps on how you do the randomizing.

And unlike the uniform-ish distribution you'd get in the normal random challenge (or at least most variants like Random monotypes, Random monocolors, Random Uniforms, etc.), this has a weirdly skewed distribution.

Which means that in general I'd expect this to skew hard for "no catch" or to skew even harder towards the more prevalent types / colors like Water, Flying, Normal, Blue, Brown, etc.

So that's a bit meh in my opinion, because I feel part of the fun of a random challenge is bringing out the more unusual Pokémon (although I do agree that having different distributions handy like the "Double Uniform" or something like "Inverse Rarity" could be fun)

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I don't think so, you can make the thread if you want, although to be honest, I don't think it's gonna be that popular.

I've tried my hand at that once and outside of LGP/E it's really a lot of grinding and trawling. Still, I'm sure there are other people in the forums that are probably going to be into that.

In the meantime, if you want to document your playthrough you can use the Travel Journal forums.

AMP017

Trans Sylveon Enjoyer
Years
I have an idea for a Nuzlocke for Sword and Sheild
Basic rules:
A fainted Pokemon MUST be released.
Only Catch the first encountered Pokemon in an area. Because of the wild area Max Raids are Prohibited to be caught. Each section of the wild area is a seperate area.
Use a random number generator for your starter
No purposely running into wild Pokemon on the surface, only grass random encounters.
Masterball can only be used on a legendary
No DLC areas
Before starting your run choose if you want to start over at your last save or restrart the run when you black out.
Name all Pokemon
Special Rules:
Wonder Trade ever other Pokemon you catch. For example, When I catch Pokemon A, Pokemon B is wonder traded. Starter does not count for this.
Eternatus can't be used against Leon.
Pokemon can only evolve one time. So if you catch a Rookidee, it can only evolve into Corvisquire, or be traded away.
Pokemon that were Wonder traded must be around the same level. So trading a level 21 it has to be 18,19,20,21,22,or 23 or be retraded.
Shinies can be used or transfered but are still released when they faint.
No Major Glitches
For every 6th Pokemon caught you must release one of the Pokemon IN YOUR PARTY!(including the sixth pokemon)
After each gym battle you can attempt to catch one of the strong Pokemon in the Wild Area or choose a surface Pokemon to catch. You get three tries to catch whatever you choose.
No fishing.(except for when the above applys)
Optional:
No Lake of Outrage
No Unnesacary battling
No Curry

Reply If you would like to do this!

Last edited:
Back