• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Feebas Hunt

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Soooo, Feebas. Feebas is quite an interesting pokemon from the Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald games which required a very... tricky way to fish for it.

feebas3.png

Feebas can only be found in one area which is Route 119. The trick is, he will only appear on six of the hundreds of tiles on that route. If you want to reshuffle the tiles, you'd need to change the trendy phrase in Dewford. Even so, Feebas is arguably the most difficult Pokemon to find in these games.

Even so, here are some questions!
    • Were you able to encounter Feebas?
    • How long did it take you to find one?
    • Were you able to catch one and raise it?
    • What do you think of this method of finding Feebas?

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Were you able to encounter Feebas?

Ye, it was really exciting when I found my first Feebas, since I read it was pretty difficult to find and I was determined to complete the Hoenn Dex in Emerald.

How long did it take you to find one?

The first time I found Feebas, it didn't take that much time as expected since it was in one of the top tiles over the waterfall near the weather institute. Once I restarted my Emerald game it was harder to find it, though.

Were you able to catch one and raise it?

Yep, and it turned into a really nice Milotic a little later, who became my strongest and favourite pokemon till now.

What do you think of this method of finding Feebas?

I don't actually think it makes any sense, like, at all. It sounds pretty random, actually. Would make way more sense if the tiles were already randomized by the time you start your game or just give Feebas a really low encounter rate.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Pretty sure I never caught a Feebas in R/S. Too much of a hassle to even make it appear.

I have to wonder though why they chose to have it be encountered the way it was

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I was a child so I don't remember how long it took me but I do remember actually catching one because I was trying to complete my pokedex in my original ruby version. I don't think I ever did it more than once in RSE. Such a beautiful pokemon it evolves to but such a pain to catch yikes.

Years
  • For the first time ever in my Pokemon Sapphire, I was able to catch one and evolve it into Milotic for my team! <3 I was so happy that day! ^_^

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i don't remember how long exactly it took for me to find a feebas, but i do know that fortune was in my favor bc i found a modest female feebas. so i was able to breed it for more feebas if i ever needed another lol. and it was able to actually, you know, evolve. i never hunted for another after that though. i had two GBAs and a link cable so if i was restarting another game and wanted to use milotic on my team, i was breeding one and trading it over bc eff that.

Years
  • When I played Emerald I literally tried every single tile in the water over and over again until my first feebas appeared! I didn't honestly think it was that bad, I had my Helen (as in Helen of Troy) in under an hour. A paltry price really when searching for the Holy Grail.

The real trick is getting her to evolve. Without the berry blending master and his gold pokeblocks I might have been in trouble, because my pokeblocks were not that good. Fortunately, he came to town randomly just a few days after I caught my Feebas. It is like the fellow was psychic, and knew I needed his help.

I kinda wish they had kept the old ways, and not made Feebas so easy to find in Oras. You should have to work hard to obtain something special, and I think that is the message that Feebas teaches us. Catching a Feebas means patience, and since Milotic is the "tender pokemon" and according to the pokedex "those that see it are said to forget their combative spirits" then I think it makes since that if you want a Milotic then you should be understanding and calm in the face of obstacles like this pokemon is.

I also loves the way it originally evolves because Feebas teaches us to see beyond appearances, and to be kind no matter what someone looks like on the surface. Because Milotic is beautiful on the inside just like is on the outside then its trainer also has to be noble. You have to treat this pokemon well, even though it is weak and can't win you battles, and everybody thinks it is ugly. You still have to love it, feed it and treat it like it is beautiful, and that is what makes it become beautiful eventually. YOU make it change from pitiful to beautiful because of how you treat it. It transforms because you take care of it, and treat it like it is something special, only then can Feebas finally it realizes its full potential like the ugly duckling that became a swan. But if you don't believe in Feebas, and don't think it is worth the time, then it will never happen. Feebas will stay rarely seen, tattered in the swamp.

I think it is interesting that you can find Gyarados in the wild in Hoenn, but not Milotic. Getting to level 20 isn't that hard, a magikarp might manage without you. However feebas can't, it needs to be more than just high-leveled or strong pokemon. It is all about the heart.

I think Feebas is a beautiful story, it is my favorite evolutionary method of all time, its so unique. As you might have guessed, Milotic is also my favorite pokemon in Hoenn.

Last edited:

S-MAN

Banned
    Years
  • Were you able to encounter Feebas?
    How long did it take you to find one?
    Were you able to catch one and raise it?
    What do you think of this method of finding Feebas?

I made my cousin catch me one no matter how much he agonized and complained about being unsuccessful until he caught it. He traded me it and I never have to worry about it now since I can breed more lol.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • I only ever found Feebas in the wild in Sapphire version, and then I just bred a few and traded them to my other games lol. It took me a few months to find a Feebas even after reading about their location in the official RS game guide, but back then I always played the games slowly anyway, so I wasn't impatient.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I've been able to encounter Feebas in generation III, yeah. One time, I wanted to get it off my bucket list of Pokemon things to do, so I tried my hand at finding one. It honestly took about three hours to find one. I was getting encountering countless Carvhana, so I'm really glad I was finally able to get one after searching for so long. I also caught a couple of extra just in case I wasn't able to raise its beauty stat out to maximum. I honestly think this method of capturing Feebas is tedious, but definitely work the hard work if you're willing to search for one and capture one, and getting a Milotic in the end is even more rewarding.

Last edited:

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • Feebas to me is a pokemon that has conditions for capture and evolution that just aren't outweighed by its stats. Milotic is a good looking pokemon with fairly good stats but there are many better water types that are far easier to secure. I have caught and evolved a feebas in some casual runs of the game and honestly I don't ever see why it deserved such silly methods to obtain, (evolving it makes much more so)... I'd honestly rather catch a Relicanth, wailord and go through the effort of getting the Regi's instead of investing time into this pokemon.

The only saving grace you could give to feebas hunting is all the Atk Ev's you get from carvanha

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ahhh good times. My irl friend and I had quite the journey with RSE Feebas. I was the one who much more often found and fished them out, while she was the better of us at evolving them. Sometimes finding Feebas took forever, but I had surprisingly good luck!

Cid

Years
  • Feebas from RSE is one of the hardest Pokémon to find, I swear. Let alone shiny Feebas from RSE. It is a great accomplishment and ripe for schoolyard rumors to catch one and evolve it into Milotic. Considering how prominent Milotic is in Wallace's team, too; it's hard to not look for a Feebas. Wish I caught one when I was younger. I don't think I've ever caught one even in the more recent games, haha. Maybe I should look for it on the GTS.

Back