• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worries and Concerns...

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
  • As with new games, we get all hyped for them and speculate on things we hope are in the games and when the games come out, there's often disappointment among the fanbase, because something we liked from previous generations was removed, or the game lacks something like a Post-game.

So, what are your worries and concerns?

I'm worried that the characters we've come to love may not be in the new games, I'm also worried that the games may not be good, after seeing how they barely showed any interest in UltraSuMo in the Direct and made them seem unimportant.

pkmin3033

I'm worried that the characters we've come to love may not be in the new games
    Hahaha, I'm the exact opposite to you, I'm worried that they will be, and that they'll be just as intrusive as they were the first time around. I absolutely despised SM's cast, they lacked personality or any kind of development and were a hindrance to the real draw of the games - the exploration and actual gameplay - rather than an effective storytelling medium. I'm extremely concerned that it'll be another game where Lillie leads you everywhere by the hand again and Hau just shows up every now and then with that mindless grin plastered across his face.

Although if I'm honest, I have no expectations of these games, so I have no worries. My concerns are more for the future of the handheld they are on than for the games themselves...the games themselves will be exactly like every other Pokemon game, both the good and the bad. Different bits will be good and different bits will be bad, but in the end it'll be exactly the same as it has been the last 20 years and I guess that's OK. GF are nothing if not consistent.

Years
  • I'm not concerned about much since I feel US/UM will improve on nearly everything S/M had, but I my biggest concern is that how will the timeline of the games be affected if these games' story is literally confirmed to be an AU.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I was going type a long-ish thing but then realized I could get the gist down in less words: basically my concern is that these games will be just another Pokemon game and another indicator that Game Freak has no interest in anything other than just churning out the same thing every year to rake in easy $$$$ rather than striving for true quality.

While third versions tend to be "better" than the original pair they're based off of, it's still not to the level that i'm looking for.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I just hope the alternate storyline is justified and feels totally different to the originals. I don't want a retelling of Sun & Moon with a few minor tweaks and upgrades, I want a totally new experience in Alola with new characters and hopefully some existing. A sequel would be ideal as that means we'll be in for a new experience similarly to B2W2 which worked really well imo.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I'm worried that the story will be too similar to S/M. If it was, there wouldn't be any surprise plot twists because everyone who has played S/M will already know about Nebby and the Aether Foundation.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I just hope the quick turn around isn't a negative thing. While recycling is more sensible with Pokemon, I hope future reveals do a bit more to alleviate my concerns that US/M isn't just the same game we got a few months ago with a few extras thrown in.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I know USM will kinda be SM with a fresh coat of paint, but I'm worried it'll be solely that. Like, no new areas, changed pokedex, significantly different story bla bla.

Years
  • I know USM will kinda be SM with a fresh coat of paint, but I'm worried it'll be solely that. Like, no new areas, changed pokedex, significantly different story bla bla.

I don't think you need to be worried about an expanded Alola Dex because I think that is likely happening. Sun & Moon were known for having the lowest number of in-game obtainable Pokemon to date, so a dex expansion would make sense.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I don't think you need to be worried about an expanded Alola Dex because I think that is likely happening. Sun & Moon were known for having the lowest number of in-game obtainable Pokemon to date, so a dex expansion would make sense.

Haha yeah, Pt and BW2 both had expanded/changed pokedexes so I'm not too worried about it. And the trailer did initially state a slightly different story, so I guess that curbs by worries a bit too.

Off topic, but: 'Straya mate.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I don't want the same story with the same characters... I won't buy the same game twice. I would like if it would be set some times after the main events. Maybe Lillith can come back, older? What if she's our mother
    I don't want more UB too. They are alright but I feel like the number is high enough. Maybe one new or two, kinda Legends, but no more than that.

Years
  • I'm not worried about too much tbh, I think the good features we saw in SM will still be present and that they'll improve upon a bunch of things. My main worry is that the game places too much emphasis on Lille, she was one of the stars of SM and yes she's great but I don't wanna have her in the spotlight so much this time around (if she is to feature), but that's just me.

JediPanda82

Kanto master
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2017
    I would really like to see the festival plaza replaced with a similar online system to alpha and omega it is quite annoying having to stand around in there waiting for trades or battles I was dissapointed with the online in sun and moon however loved the characters as well as the cute z moves with some neat martial art like aspects and the defend your title aspect was amazing and I see some online potential there as well allowing friends and global members to challenge would be cool

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • My only worry and concern is that USUM doesn't fill the holes that SM left open. There's a lot of content opportunities that could be put into USUM; I hope Game Freak doesn't pass up on this.

^ This

Especially since the release of USUM is just in a mere 5 months... That's probably the fastest Pokémon main series game announcement to release date yet! I feel like there's a HUGE possibility that GF did rush to put out USUM that they didn't polish it as much as they could've.

Years
  • Especially since the release of USUM is just in a mere 5 months... That's probably the fastest Pokémon main series game announcement to release date yet! I feel like there's a HUGE possibility that GF did rush to put out USUM that they didn't polish it as much as they could've.

I'm sure the time between B2/W2's announcement and Japanese release was also 5 months. I'm pretty sure that Game Freak had been working on this since S/M's early pre-release days so I'm sure they spent a lot of time polishing stuff.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • ^ This

Especially since the release of USUM is just in a mere 5 months... That's probably the fastest Pokémon main series game announcement to release date yet! I feel like there's a HUGE possibility that GF did rush to put out USUM that they didn't polish it as much as they could've.

The thing is, they start working on games pretty darn early, for example, Pokémon Black and White started development in 2006! So, I think SuMo and Ultra SuMo started development in 2010, 2011 or 2012. So it is possible that they will fill up holes and add to Alola.

pkmin3033

There is less work to do with these games regardless, too - they'll use the same visuals and region as Sun and Moon, which saves a hell of a lot of time development-wise. The shorter time gap between release shouldn't be too alarming or indicative of a drop in quality...at least, not by itself.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • The thing is, they start working on games pretty darn early, for example, Pokémon Black and White started development in 2006! So, I think SuMo and Ultra SuMo started development in 2010, 2011 or 2012. So it is possible that they will fill up holes and add to Alola.

Very true! But there's always the concern of the critiques after the game is actually released and what they could do to improve the game I guess.

/lol @ "too much water"

Back