• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you like Goh?

Years
  • go/goh is ash's newest traveling companion, from the Pokémon 2019/Journeys series. he's been a bit controversial since some people dislike the fact that he catches so many Pokémon so easily (even if he is a reference to the mobile game Pokémon GO). what do you think of him? please mark spoilers accordingly!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I haven't fully made up my mind about Goh yet, there's different points that I do like and things that I don't. I enjoy how he's more... logical than Ash and that he sort of challenged Ash on the way he communicates with Pokemon, rather than just going along with Ash's out of the box style, that personality type is probably the default for what the Pokemon creators go for because it's so easy to develop and grow.

Having a character based off the Go mechanics was always inevitable, however I don't like how it comes across as so trophy-like, we're used to Ash & companions catching Pokemon and developing them along with the rest of the team, but with Goh that's only happening to Scorbunny, and so far that was only at the start of the series. But there's still a lot of time left, so who knows. But so far I haven't made up my mind. Hopefully they give him more purpose soon.

Last edited:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Yeah i like him, i wonder if the polish dub will give him an girly voice like Ash's, because he looks very feminine with those eyelashes

Also he's the first of the main cast to catch Cubone

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • He definitely gives a fresh feeling to the series. I like how he's not necessarily a rival either and more of a friend of Ash's instead.
    I also admire how he has his own difficulties as well.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Goh is precious and fresh and we love him.

Years
  • I started watching the series subbed, switched over to the dub once it came out, and now I am back to subbed.

Personally, I can comfortably say that I feel he's grown to my liking a lot more than he did from what I saw dubbed, he's passionate and super hyper, but also very observant and cautious in some ways as well. Overall, it's really a nice personality that I like to see in a character, especially contrasting Ash.

Zarude

Self-Certified Comma Abuser
    Years
  • Haven't watched too much of the new show yet, but so far, Goh's cool in my book.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I really like Gou! Even when he can be a little annoying at times, I really like seeing him being the voice of reason and even giving advices to Ash. Its a nice contrast to see, finally we get a character who wants to catch all the Pokémon and that's interesting because he could literally have any team and surprise others if he liked to battle more. Its cool to see his development and backstory, and i really hope we get to see a closure to his character since i dont think the anipoke will switch to him next season and leave Ash out of the anime.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Not a huge fan of him, especially since he catches so many pokemon so easily. A lot of them make sense, but there are some he catches that should be near impossible for him to catch without weakening them. I will say that there are some episodes he is awesome in, I think I just need a bit more time to get adjusted to him since i've only watched 20 episodes.

I will say he is far from my most hated character, that still being Rotom Dex.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I loved him from the first preview and the first manga chapter which summed up episode 2'd plot!
    He reminds me of Trip in his sometimes high-handed and socially awkward manner and booksmart nature (I spoke way too soon when I thought "oh, he'd be a more likeable/well-received Trip!"), but he's also a unique character with his own unique quirks.

The sparkling bishounen aspects are funny, the dialogue is written in a much more fresh and true to life manner in this series and it makes his friendship with Satoshi/Ash so fun to watch... reminds me of Gon & Killua in HXH, just really heartwarming watching these two young boys make friends and go on adventures!

I don't like the way captures are made in this series, I miss seeing trainers challenge or befriend Pokemon first, it has more honor to it, but it's fine, I don't ever blame characters for writing decisions around them.

I also liked that he disapproved of Ash interfering with wild Pokemon, letting wild animals overcome minor injuries and difficulties on their own is necessary for their strength and growth, feeding wild animals is normally forbidden because you can make them too trusting of humans and endanger them (poachers/hunters take advantage of this, etc.), it's very realistic. I liked that difference.

I love Gou.

Years
  • I haven't seen much of the current season, but from what I have seen I do not like Goh, Pokemon has strayed away from the whole gotta catch em all motto and mentality over the years, I don't like that aspect of Goh that catches Pokemon for the sake of catching them, since the anime has always been keen on relationships of trainers and Pokemon it seems to me off that Goh has an old standard approach to Pokemon and leaves them to never be seen again. I don't like the story of his Scorbunny either, he attempted to release it twice, I don't know the context behind that but I still don't find it good that he came to this idea twice. I think this mentality worked perfectly with Paul since he clearly was the type of guy who focused more on being the best trainer without the heart of it and of course he was the rival that Ash had conflict with, so it worked. With Goh, it doesn't work because he's the good guy and I don't think it's good for him to do something that Paul basically did and be apparently in the right. I could be very ignorant to go since I don't know more of him as a person, but for the most part those quirks really keep me from liking anything else about him.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    Please don't judge him on out of context scenes! The Japanese version was never about that "gotta catch 'em all" mentality, that line was made up for the English franchise. "I get (catch) Pokemon!" was the Japanese tagline.
    I don't like the way he captures Pokemon either, I wish the Pokemon Go influence never touched the anime, but that aside...

Unlike Paul, Goh loves his Pokemon so dearly and dislikes battling, that's why he and Scorbunny but heads at first. Scorbunny loves battling and wants to be strong. Goh, at least up until the halfway point of the series thus far (I'm still making my way through and watched some eps out of order, for transparency's sake), hates battling.
    He didn't think Scorbunny should take things so seriously...

Also, Goh suffered a loss as a child that shook his trust in friendship. He made a friend called Tokio, promised to meet with him, and kept waiting outside, even bringing warm soup to keep his friend from getting cold, waiting until it was dark and it rained on him, while he waited for one of the only friends he ever made aside from Koharu/Chloe. He returned alone, miserable, soaked with rain and mud.

He thought he was lied to and made a fool of and it would be years (until current timeline) where he'd find out the truth of what happened to his friend.

He's very scared of losing friends.
    He even thinks a minor disagreement with Ash cost them their friendship and asked very meekly and shyly if they could be friends again at the end of the episode.

Goh is not Paul. It's not that he doesn't care about his Pokemon, it's that he cares so deeply, but he's so scared of rejection, that his mind catastrophizes minor differences in approach and priorities and personalities and thinks "we can't be friends after all..." or "you'd be better off without me."

He's a very socially awkward child and I find that very relatable and endearing.

The show definitely should spend more time with his Pokemon, but we do rarely see them playing in the gardens of Sakuragi/Cerise labs, etc. He does train with them too, he's just more preoccupied with meeting & capturing Mew, trying to catch every Pokemon to work his way up, than in battling or training for battles. That's why it looks like he doesn't care.

It's an issue with how the show is written, rather than his character specifically, in-universe, he loves them all dearly and doesn't care much for battling or strength. He'd be better suited as a researcher or something, honestly.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2021
    I hate "Go",he changed how i look at the whole series and he is stealing all of Ash's spotlight and i hate it period

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • No, my second least favourite character in the entire Pokémon Anime. Only slightly less awful than Serena.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    I like the concept of Goh's character as a collector, but I also like seeing development and personification of pokemon in the party. So I like Goh, but I would like to see his pokemon's characters more often.

Back