• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: [SPOILERS] Summarise competitive potential of Sun/Moon Pokemon!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • WARNING THERE ARE DATAMINED SUN/MOON SPOILERS HERE ABANDON THREAD IF YOU CARE ABOUT SPOILERS

Ambitious group project gogogo! Basically - pick a new Pokemon/Alolan form and discuss briefly how good it is based on stats, abilities and movepool. Yep, we have that information now. You can choose to only focus on the final stages of each line. I'll compile the info and put it into a collab Daily article. Any contributions will be credited. Don't worry too much about things changing as people play the game - this is theorymon stage after all.

I'll compile stuff in this OP prior to article form. We'll need thing in a similar format - maybe stick to a few paragraphs at most per Pokemon, if you want include ideas for sets for each but not necessarily. Feel free to discuss how the article should be structured, etc too. IMO - singles and VGC.

Maybe a section at the end about changes to old Pokemon (e.g. Gengar losing Levitate for Cursed Body) can be done too.

USEFUL LINKS
    Text of all Pokemon and their movepools
    Stats of all new SM Pokemon
    Video - New Starters Stats/Abilities/Movepool
    Video - New 'normal' Pokemon Stats/Abilities/Movepool (Part 1)
    Video - New 'normal' Pokemon Stats/Abilities/Movepool (Part 2)
    Video - New Legendary Pokemon Stats/Abilities/Movepool
    Video - Alolan Forms/Zygarde Stats/Abilities/Movepool
    Video - Ultra Beasts Stats/Abilities/Movepool
    Old Pokemon Ability/Stat changes
    New Z-Moves/Moves (latter toward the bottom)
    Summary of new moves for old Pokemon

The following Pokemon still need to be done!

Oricorio
    Ribombee
    Lycanroc (no need to have sets for both forms, just recommend the better form's set, although you can discuss both.)
    Wishiwashi
    Mudsdale
    Lurantis
    Shiinotic
    Bewear
    Tsareena
    Comfey
    Oranguru
    Passimian
    Palossand
    Silvally
    Minior
    Turtonator
    Togedemaru
    A-Golem
    Mimikyu
    Bruxish
    Drampa
    A-Exeggutor
    Tapu Fini
    Lunala
    Niheligo
    Xurkitree
    Kartana
    Guzzlord
    Necrozma
    Magearna

Last edited:
    Years
  • I guess I'll start things off!
    Name: Kommo-o
    Type: Dragon/Fighting
    Base Stats: 75/110/125/100/105/85
    Abilities: Bulletproof/Soundproof
    Potential moveset #1
    Belly Drum
    Sky Uppercut/Brick Break
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake

Potential Moveset #2
    Dragon Dance
    Sky Uppercut
    Dragon Claw/Outrage
    Earthquake

This Pokémon seems to be a very versatile sweeper, with access to both belly drum as well as dragon dance. Has a 4x weakness to fairy, but with the Soundproof ability, it's immune to Pixilate Hyper Voice, the most common Stab fairy move in the high tiers (especially in doubles). It will force those fairy types to run Moonblast to counter it, and run sub-par movesets.

In regards to stats, he's a pseudo-legendary, with BST of 600. So he's already strong as it is, but with how the stats are spread out, he's incredibly bulky, so he could probably be run the same way Tankchomp currently is.

I just think with access to dragon dance and belly drum that it might be wasted potential.

All in all, very solid looking Pokémon. Can't wait to test him out once Sun&Moon comes out!

dribbling excadrill

Dribbling Excadrill
    Years
  • Honestly no clue. I set up a draft league tournament to see how somethings might work in that format but I am just going to watch a bunch of games until the metagame settles. Nah Ill probably just wait a day or two then hop right in

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2016
    Salazzle @ Life Orb
    Ability: Corrosion
    Evs: 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Sludge Wave
    - Flamethrower
    - Hidden Power Ice

This is a great late game sweeper. It has an amazing base speed of 117 leaving only 6 Pokemon in the current OU metagame that outspeed it, those being Weavile, Dugtrio, Mega-Lopunny, Talonflame, Tornadus-T, and Mega-Manectric. It has amazing coverage with fire, poison, and ice and should be used as a late-game sweeper once all its checks have been knocked out. Pokemon to look out for off the top of my head are Heatran, Tyranitar and Chansey obviously. Everything else gets OHKO'd after rocks at +2 (I ran the calcs lol). The idea is to bring it in on something that doesn't like it, such as Scizor who can't do anything to it, set up a Nasty Plot on the switch and wreck everything that is brought in. Like I said, you're going to want to set up after its checks have been removed, Heatran walls this thing and potentially gets a flash fire boost if you misplay.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I guess I'll start things off!
    Name: Kommo-o
    Type: Dragon/Fighting
    Base Stats: 75/110/125/100/105/85
    Abilities: Bulletproof/Soundproof
    Potential moveset #1
    Belly Drum
    Sky Uppercut/Brick Break
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake

Potential Moveset #2
    Dragon Dance
    Sky Uppercut
    Dragon Claw/Outrage
    Earthquake

This Pokémon seems to be a very versatile sweeper, with access to both belly drum as well as dragon dance. Has a 4x weakness to fairy, but with the Soundproof ability, it's immune to Pixilate Hyper Voice, the most common Stab fairy move in the high tiers (especially in doubles). It will force those fairy types to run Moonblast to counter it, and run sub-par movesets.

In regards to stats, he's a pseudo-legendary, with BST of 600. So he's already strong as it is, but with how the stats are spread out, he's incredibly bulky, so he could probably be run the same way Tankchomp currently is.

I just think with access to dragon dance and belly drum that it might be wasted potential.

All in all, very solid looking Pokémon. Can't wait to test him out once Sun&Moon comes out!

Substitute is a more reliable way of helping Kommo-o get a Belly Drum off, given its vulnerability to status and lack of priority. It's also useful for triggering Salac Berry at 25% so Kommo-o can actually outspeed things. Of course, you need to get Fairy Pokemon out of the way before even bringing in Kommo-o, as they wall its STABs. Also, Earthquake is redundant with Sky Uppercut, while Outrage's confusion side effect won't be helpful if Kommo-o is forced to stay in.:
    -Substitute
    -Belly Drum
    -Dragon Claw
    -Sky Uppercut
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Salac Berry
    Ability: Soundproof

Kommo-o has access to Autotomize, which allows it to fix its average Speed in a different way. While Dragon Dance sets can handle physical sets, Autotomize can make special Kommo-o just as viable. As mentioned before, Kommo-o's STABs are resisted by Fairy Pokemon, which is why it needs Poison Jab or Flash Cannon for them. On another note, all three of its abilities are good, so it doesn't matter what you pick:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Sky Uppercut
    -Poison Jab
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

or
    -Autotomize
    -Clanging Scales
    -Focus Blast
    -Flash Cannon/Flamethrower
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Psychic Surge
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Moonblast
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball

Tapu Lele holding Choice Specs becomes an obscenely strong wallbreaker with good coverage and good STABs that, by virtue of its ability, provides useful support to fast, frail sweepers that despise priority. With things like Pheromosa and Kartana running around with gay abandon at the moment, that's both a good and bad thing...!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Decidueye is a mixed attacker stat-wise, but his movepool heavily favors a Physical set. Its signature attack, Spirit Shackle, can really mess with opposing strategies by preventing them from switching out, and I reccomend almost always using it on your team. If you choose to run a secondary STAB attack, Leaf Blade is the strongest option. Decidueye also gets a nice assortment of Flying-type attacks like Brave Bird and Acrobatics, as well as Roost for recovery and the highly coveted Defog to remove hazards. It's other coverage is lacking, but what is there is powerful. Sucker Punch is fun to toy around with, and is Decidueye's only decent Priority attack. U-Turn allows you to gain a lot of momentum. Substitute and Swords Dance are also always good options to consider. I currently run a Choice Band set, as shown below:

Decidueye @ Choice Band
    Ability: Overgrow
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Spirit Shackle
    - U-turn
    - Brave Bird
    - Sucker Punch

The Choice Band turns Decidueye into an eccelent revenge-killer by making all these attacks do a lot more damage, but locking you into spamming one of them until you switch out. Overgrow is Decidueye's only legal ability, so we tolerate it. Max attack makes you do more damage, and Decidueye's Speed is so low that it works out better just to put those extra EVs into HP. Spirit Shackle, Sucker Punch, and U-Turn I mentioned above, and Brave Bird is just the strongest attack it gets, and doubles as a great thing to annoy Buzzwole with.

------

Alolan Persian is a tricky character, and serves as an excellent lead and pivot. Its stats are pitiful, with the exception of its excellent speed. It has two of the best abilities in the game in Fur Coat and Technician, and either can be used well. In the coverage department, pure Dark is a fine typing, but its coverage pool is limited to pretty awful moves. However, a better plan is just to ignore the awful Attack stat by running Foul Play, which uses the opponent's instead. Persian-A also gets access to the coveted Fake Out, and it has an decent support pool with Parting Shot, Taunt, Roar, and Toxic. I advise running a more supportive set, as shown here:

Garfield (Persian-Alola) @ Darkinium Z
    Ability: Fur Coat / Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Foul Play
    - Parting Shot
    - Taunt

The ability is your choice, Fur Coat makes Persian incredibly physically bulky, while Technician powers up Fake Out to the point where it can actually do damage to some squishies (I prefer Fur Coat). Anyway, Fake Out is helpful for breaking Sashes, getting free turns, and stopping play for a turn to give you a chance to reconsider your strategy. Foul Play hits enemy squishies hard, especially if they are weak to Dark. Taunt stops people from abusing your time waisting to set up on you. Parting Shot is an awesome move, as it allows you to scout what your opponent will send in, and then weaken it's attack while switvhing out to a counter. This effectively forces a switch, with relitively low oppertunity cost. Darkinium Z is used for Parting Shot, as you can afford to not use your item slot for something else here and it also provides Parting Shot with a Healing Wish affect, fully healing whatever ally comes in to replace Persian.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • Surprised no-one has posted this yet:

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - U-turn
    - High Jump Kick
    - Poison Jab
    - Ice Beam

U-turn lets Pheromosa pivot out of its checks, such as Aegislash. High Jump Kick is Pheromosa's best STAB attack that rips through anything weak to it. Poison Jab lets Pheromosa hit Fairy-types that would otherwise wall it. Ice Beam only really hits Landorus-T, which would otherwise completely wall Pheromosa. This thing can easily sweep late-game if its checks, such as Aegislash and Toxapex, have been removed, and if it has Psychic Terrain support. A Bisharp / Tapu Lele / Pheromosa core sounds interesting in my head, but I've yet to try it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Bump! This may still be a good article to have! Both singles and VGC discussions welcome too (just need to clarify what is which for obvious reasons).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    You could do separate articles for Singles and VGC probably--different metas and all that.

Did you want more sets posted too?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm also surprised no one mentioned Toxapex, one of the best defensive Pokemon introduced in Sun/Moon. It's insanely bulky and has Regenerator + Recover to ensure it almost never dies.:
    -Scald
    -Toxic/Toxic Spikes
    -Haze
    -Recover
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Black Sludge/Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Regenerator

Pelipper also got massively buffed in the generation shift. It gained Drizzle as a secondary ability (which it should have had since its introduction in Gen III, as both existed at the same time). Pelipper has a slow U-turn to get rain sweepers in safely, Hurricane as a secondary STAB that never misses in rain, Defog to clear hazards if you don't have a hazard clearer already, and Roost as more reliable recovery. That being said, it now outclasses Politoed as OU's rain setter:
    -Scald
    -Hurricane/Defog
    -U-turn
    -Roost
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Damp Rock
    Ability: Drizzle

The Bug/Water Pokemon Golisopod and Araquanid, while not completely viable, have good niches. Golisopod has three priority attacks to make up for its bad Speed (First Impression, Aqua Jet, Sucker Punch) and solid Attack and bulk. Though its Emergency Exit ability hampers its ability to stay on the field for too long, it can be used to your advantage by bringing in an appropriate check/counter. Hazard clearing support may be needed to make sure Emergency Exit doesn't trigger at inappropriate times; Golisopod also has Leech Life to sustain itself when necessary:
    -First Impression
    -Liquidation
    -Leech Life
    -Aqua Jet/Sucker Punch
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Assault Vest

Araquanid's offensive stats may be practically nonexistent on a fully evolved Pokemon, but its Water Bubble ability makes its Water attacks hit a lot harder. As an added bonus, it protects it from the burns that would cripple it and gives it a handy resistance to Fire attacks:
    -Liquidation
    -Leech Life
    -Poison Jab/Scald
    -Sleep Talk
    Nature: Adamant/Brave
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Water Bubble

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Magearna seems to be making the bigger splash in Doubles Ubers so far, but of the new Steel-Type legends I am far more excited about and impressed with Solgaleo. I'm 28-3 with it on the ladder and I just gotta say.

It locks down and punishes the xerneas/groudon combo so hard next to a Primal Kyogre. Wide Guard on a Steel-Type cover legend was something the format needed, and lets you preserve your wincon against the opposing Xerneas as long as you stay on top of the weather war.

Meanwhile, offensively it is nothing to sneeze at. Slap a life orb on that bad boy and you've got yourself a house. It tanks and outpaces Rayquaza and gets unintimidated Rock Slides off against Salamence, and can take any hit that Magearna can dish out. Yes, it dies to Foul Play from Yveltal. Build the team for it.

Solgaleo @ Life Orb
    Ability: Full Metal Body
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Sunsteel Strike
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake
    - Wide Guard

I'd probably swap Wide Guard out for Thunder Wave or Zen Headbutt in Singles.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • You could do separate articles for Singles and VGC probably--different metas and all that.

Did you want more sets posted too?
    Fair idea there - may as well go with that. (Or if something is in place for both for most pokes, a two page article... but former may be better).

And yes please! I'll note also that general views are welcome too - needn't be just sets. E.g. "This pokemon won't see much use about tier X/in VGC due to [reasons]".

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I'll throw in a set I guess:

Zygarde-Complete @ Leftovers
    Ability: Power Construct
    EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Thousand Arrows
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Coil

Pretty sure this is more or less what everyone's using on it in Ubers Singles right now. The bulk investment+Coil makes it so that you can safely activate Power Construct as long as you keep it away from Xerneas and Primal Kyogre (or most things with relatively powerful Fairy/Ice attacks really). Once Zygarde has achieved its 100% True Power, it becomes a monstrous (physical) wall, having absurd bulk thanks to its enormous HP stat, Coil, and Rest (which also means it doesn't need to worry about status screwing it over). Thousand Arrows is the only attacking move you really need since it bypasses Flying/Levitate immunity to Ground. Swapping Coil with Dragon Dance may be a possibility if you're willing to sacrifice some physical bulk for Speed.

It's very reminiscent of CroCune.

On a more OU related note, Keldeo is likely going to take a significant hit in usage I would think. The game just introduced five very viable Pokemon that give it a very hard time: the four Tapus plus Toxapex.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Okay, another update! I've decided to skip compiling things in a post and have made an article draft instead in Wordpress, including everything suggested so far with some changes including to layout (e.g. on WP we have a table format for sets) and typo fixing. The more knowledgeable (than myself at least) battling Daily writers will check stuff that's in there/will be in there. Let me know if you want to help out with that too outside of providing descriptions/sets!

I've opted for a Singles article, so please submit those first. If there's interest we can repeat this exercise for VGC/Doubles. But given the size of the project let's stick to one type at a time.

Again, only for new Pokemon (including Alolan forms and Zygarde forms which are new; Complete has an entry now however). I've had to leave out the Pelipper entry as a result - but we can always do articles on specific Pokemon later. Also again, a short summary about the Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses and how viable they are, and if you want a set as a suggestion, is all that is needed!

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I'll try to come up with a few writeups on some of the new 'mons a bit later. Right now I would just like to say that Pelipper itself doesn't deserve an article - perhaps writing an article about rain teams in gen 7 would be better suited.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I'm going to write a piece about Alolan Ninetales and Mimikyu for now, but if you guys have anything to add after I'm done with that, feel free too!

Edit: Alolan Ninetales is done.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Tapu Bulu
    Tapu Bulu is an excellent Pok?mon for bulky offense, with its 115 base defense and great sustain through Grassy Terrain and Horn Leech. Its Grass / Fairy typing gives it an array of useful resistances as well as a notable immunity against Dragon-types, which gives Tapu Bulu plenty of opportunities to switch into a variety of threats such as Garchomp and Landorus-T. Additionally, Bulu functions well as a wallbreaker with its lethal 130 base attack stat, capable of OHKOing a multitude of Pok?mon with Wood Hammer when equipped with a Choice Band.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech
    - Megahorn / Superpower / Zen Headbutt / Stone Edge / Rock Slide
    - Megahorn / Superpower / Zen Headbutt / Stone Edge / Rock Slide

The last two moves depends on which coverage your team needs. Megahorn lets Tapu Bulu deal with Tyranitar, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth; Superpower nails Heatran and Ferrothorn; Zen Headbutt helps against Mega Venusaur and Fighting-types; while Stone Edge / Rock Slide deals with Flying-types and Bug-types on the switch. Tapu Bulu can also opt to run a build that is more suited to bulky offense by forgoing Choice Band and going for a more bulky, setup sweeper role by utilizing either Swords Dance or Bulk Up, and Leech Seed to deal with common switch ins.

Although it lacks a physical Fairy-type move, Bulu is still capable of checking a multitude of threats while hitting as hard as possible. Overall, Tapu Bulu is an amazing Pok?mon that will surely impact the metagame.

Celesteela
    Having solid stats all around, Celesteela certainly has potential to become one of the top-tier threats in the OU metagame. Its great defensive typing, access to moves such as Leech Seed and Toxic, as well as the ability to force switching, makes Celesteela a top-tier defensive threat. Celesteela's offensive prowess is nothing to scoff at as well. With access to moves such as Flash Cannon, Flamethrower, Air Slash and Autotomize, Celesteela can serve as a late game cleaner once everything else has been weakened. Unlike other Ultra Beasts, however, Celesteela does not benefit much from Beast Boost since it will not be performing a sweeping role most of the time.

Defensive / specially defensive tank set:
    Celesteela @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Sassy or Relaxed nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Heavy Slam
    - Flamethrower / Toxic

Offensive / lategame cleaner set:
    Celesteela @ Leftovers / Life Orb
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Autotomize
    - Flamethrower
    - Flash Cannon
    - Air Slash

Last edited:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Dhelmise @Assault Vest or @Choice Band
    -Nature: depends if you want an offensive or defensive version; both have same move set
    -EV's: same deal
    -Anchor Shot
    -Shadow Claw
    -Power Whip
    -Filler: Rock Slide/Switcheroo/Earthquake/Brick Break

I LOVE this pokemon! Its tanky and hits hard with its base 130 attack stat. It always comes through.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Thanks, guys! :) Updated into the article (bar Dragon's as yours was already there, haha. I proof-read it though.)

Updated the to-do list and put it in the OP. Going to see about a cover image as well for someone to make in the Daily's section thread for that. Please keep them coming!
    I'll try to come up with a few writeups on some of the new 'mons a bit later. Right now I would just like to say that Pelipper itself doesn't deserve an article - perhaps writing an article about rain teams in gen 7 would be better suited.
    Agreed there. Something to consider down the track!

Back