• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Small Writing Competition!

moonlightning

Bird Of Thunder
Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2019
    I had to rush to finish mine because I was going away so I'm unhappy with the quality of mine. I'm glad I got it done and was able to participate. The prompt was excellent and allowed lots of wriggle room when it came to ideas.

IanDonyer

Time to kick ass? Definitely.
    Years
  • I love my entry. I'd go as far as to say it's probably, in my own opinion, the second best thing I have ever written. :p I do kind of wish I would have gotten off my ass and redid the ending when I had the time to do so, but... *shrug*

Wishin' can't help what's already done, eh? As LightofTruth said, good luck to all.

Townes

Gentlemanly Hazard...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    Meh, I'm quite happy with mine, but it was done in a tremendous rush and I'll always know that it wasn't my best work :/ Nevertheless, as long as it was semi-acceptable.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I love my entry. I'd go as far as to say it's probably, in my own opinion, the second best thing I have ever written. :p I do kind of wish I would have gotten off my ass and redid the ending when I had the time to do so, but... *shrug*

Wishin' can't help what's already done, eh? As LightofTruth said, good luck to all.
    Once all the judging is over and we post our stories, you can always make the revisions you want to and post it alongside the original after you get some feedback.

Wish I could say I have your confidence, but I don't. :P One thing I can say, though, is that I really made use that extra time for polishing and proofreading, right down to the last hour. xD

That said, I'm very much looking forward to reading your entry, especially with all this proclaimed confidence. Here's hoping you deliver! (But not too much; I still want to beat you, ha! >:D )

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Well I learned that if you're going to do any 'Creative' contests during the GT8 and you don't have that much personal time to begin with, just do one. >_>

I ended up trying to work on my entries for the SWC and two other art challenges, with the first art challenge not even coming close to completion.

In the end, I guess maybe I should just focus on the SWC next year if I don't want to rush it. D;
    I'm not too happy with my ending because I think I should've made a bigger impact with my writing there, but no... I just had to rush it.
    Anyway, good luck everybody!

Here's hoping to some excellent entries, seeing as we've got a lot of talented writers this year!

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Actually, most of the work in the Poetry section tends to be original, so there's no need for that attitude. Please don't be so quick to judge - there are just as many talented people in the Poetry subforum as there are in FF&W proper. I can say that because I hang around both >_>

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Indeed, this is getting rather off-topic guys. Feel free to discuss your entires or the competition itself but there's no need to say 'wow poetry section!' or the such.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    This site has fan-poetry?

Heaven help us...
    Mind you, try telling that to PokeCommunity's poets face to face and let's see what that'd make you feel.

Besides that...such a shame I didn't get the chance to enter. The whole majority of school hindered me from even thinking of a main idea. ):
    There is always a next time though, so I'm totally waiting for that. :)

Years
  • I'd love to see some of these entries once the winners have been announced. I'm curious to see how long some of them are. Mine was shorter than I'd hoped it would be, only a few hundred words, since I spread myself pretty thin across so many events.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • My entry was close to 3,000 words. But I didn't enter anything else in the GetTogether (it seems ironic that it made me even more reclusive), so I had more time to put into it (I still managed to be rushing it on the last day, however).

What I'd be really interested to see is everyone else's interpretation of the prompt, and to see how similar they are or how far they stray from one another.

Years
  • Actually, most of the work in the Poetry section tends to be original, so there's no need for that attitude. Please don't be so quick to judge - there are just as many talented people in the Poetry subforum as there are in FF&W proper. I can say that because I hang around both >_>

All right, I'm sorry. I just assumed that poetry inside a fan-fiction subforum (as I'd heard), would necessarily all be fan-poetry. I suppose you might say that my experience of reading any sort of fan-fiction, has been almost universally negative. I'm not saying I can do better.

I apologise.

Now I have to say something on-topic to legitimise my post. Er. I.. I hope I win. Or failing that, I hope a really really good short story wins. And that I come in second in that case. I am also dreadfully tense, because I can't quite remember when I last went in for creative competition.

Nam

Years
  • >< My ignorance has struck once again. For some reason yesterday I began having ideas for some fanfic and today I discover this writing contest. I should really explore this forum a bit more... And the thing is, I bet I could've used 'Cast Aside' pretty well.

I guess I'll wait for next year... Good luck to everyone. Looking forward to reading your work. ^^

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    As an update to those wanting to know (and in an effort to be on-topic), the judging is almost over. So expect the results to be posted soon!

And to everyone who wanted to enter but missed their chance... Understandable. You can still post a story/poem based around the prompt, and at least I will be willing to score it as if it was an actual entry.

---​

All right, I'm sorry. I just assumed that poetry inside a fan-fiction subforum (as I'd heard), would necessarily all be fan-poetry.
    That's assuming that all the stories posted in Fanfiction and Writing are fanfiction. FF&W has original stories, or stories for other fandoms, being posted to it.

Plus, there's the assumption that all fan-poetry is bad, which doesn't hold true either.

Years
  • That's assuming that all the stories posted in Fanfiction and Writing are fanfiction. FF&W has original stories, or stories for other fandoms, being posted to it.

Plus, there's the assumption that all fan-poetry is bad, which doesn't hold true either.

If you weren't the person in charge of this topic I don't think I could really say anything without getting into trouble. You have taken me up on it, so not to respond would be as bad as saying, well, this:

The "... and Writing" part is news to me. I was told "hidden away in the fan-fiction area". That doesn't sound like the same thing at all. Am I entirely to blame for making a comment based on misinformation?

I also didn't assert that all fan-poetry/fiction is bad. Just that a good lot of it is badly written. I'd stick out my neck and say, most of it. I've never seen fan-fiction I would say was objectively good. Yes, that does include mine. If you can show me a fan-fiction on the same level as Sherlock Holmes, or The War of the Worlds, or Treasure Island or The Lord of the Rings, or even one of the better Discworld novels, I can promise I'll never make a sweeping statement about fan-fictions again.

Until then, I'm sorry, this is freedom of speech and freedom of thought. If it's my opinion that fan-fiction is generally a bit awful, that is just my opinion. I don't believe anyone would take more than very slight personal offence to that comment as some have implied.

Sorry for being adamant about this, but most, if not all of you reading this are used to expressing your own biases and prejudices and feelings and opinions through rhyme or prose; but because mine may not be very popular, they may not be expressed?

And, on-topic gibberish: oh goody judging nearly done I've probably wrecked my chances of even placing second now I don't know why I was stupid enough to get into an argument with the person judging my entry.

Last edited:

IanDonyer

Time to kick ass? Definitely.
    Years
  • As a judge, Astinus cannot legally lose his objectivity. And to be honest, you're sounding like an ass assuming he would anyway. <_<

On-topic: judgingisalmostdoneohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapianisexcitedianisexcited

Also to answer someone's curiosity (I forget who's D:), my entry was about twelve pages long and close to 5k words.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • As a judge, Astinus cannot legally lose his objectivity. And to be honest, you're sounding like an ass assuming he would anyway. <_<

On-topic: judgingisalmostdoneohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapianisexcitedianisexcited

Also to answer someone's curiosity (I forget who's D:), my entry was about twelve pages long and close to 5k words.

I was gonna say something, but this pretty much sums it up, lol.

From the looks of the many posts and entries, there are a lot of people who put so much effort into this competition including myself. With results coming soon I just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck.

Back