• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Ancient Platinum

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
Years
  • Going to get mapping again for this soon, once I've prepared a clean base. I promise it's not abandoned!

EDIT: May as well clarify some stuff, the thread needs to be rewritten.

1. There will be P/S Split
    2. There will be Fairy Type
    3. Names are capitalized like in Gen 2
    4. Uses Sinnoh Dex, but you will be able to obtain everything from Gen IV (Mamoswine, Regis for Regigigas etc.)
    5. PokeGear will somehow be reworked into PokeNav, but don't expect some of the gimmicky apps like Coin Flip.
    6. Formes will be implemented but most likely will only change typing and not stats (Cherrim, Arceus, Giratina etc.)
    7. I will try my best to implement animations but no promises
    8. Event Pok?mon are unlocked post league (Darkrai, Manaphy, Shaymin, etc.)

I think that's all for now, if anyone has questions or requests I will answer :)

Last edited:

pgattic
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    So, uh, is this still being worked on as of 2019? I'm not seeing much progress right now. I'm excited to play this game, but if this project is dead, I'd like to know.

Last edited:

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • It's currently on hiatus, and I've given my resources for it to Bloodless (who is currently working on a Ruby devamp). Once we finish our respective projects it will probably be picked up again.

I mainly started my current project to get better at the disassembly for when I work on this again. The technology has also evolved since then and there's a lot more I can do with it now, like proper cries and several features in the DS games.

Last edited:

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • I worked on some tiles today, expect some unique tilework done for this:

dcy454f-bac99a52-30bf-4515-915b-0eb15e9d6eaa.png

If you have tile spriting experience and would like to contribute please PM me, there's a lot of work that needs doing to get this going for a full region :) I know fans have been waiting for this game for a long time and it is on my bucket list.

Preferably speaking, I'd like to have the game actually mapped out before I even start. The less things that might discourage progression with the hacks development (tile designing, assembly features, bugfixes) the better. This is an issue I've run into a lot with Orange and for this project, being a demake I think it will be quite possible. It's also reassuring for people to look at the hacks progression and see a full world map.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I worked on some tiles today, expect some unique tilework done for this:

dcy454f-bac99a52-30bf-4515-915b-0eb15e9d6eaa.png

If you have tile spriting experience and would like to contribute please PM me, there's a lot of work that needs doing to get this going for a full region :) I know fans have been waiting for this game for a long time and it is on my bucket list.

Preferably speaking, I'd like to have the game actually mapped out before I even start. The less things that might discourage progression with the hacks development (tile designing, assembly features, bugfixes) the better. This is an issue I've run into a lot with Orange and for this project, being a demake I think it will be quite possible. It's also reassuring for people to look at the hacks progression and see a full world map.

Oh hey those tiles look great, beautiful palettes as well. I really like what you did with the trees! I don't have experience spriting tiles for GBC, but I'd certainly be up for giving it a shot if you need an extra pair of hands at some point in the future.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Update to the world map, and yes, as of tonight sideways stairs are a possibility thanks to WasabiRaptor!

dcyw1xl-18ee2827-702c-41f1-af06-41613b4084eb.png

And here's another piece that took JaceDeane and I 2 days to get right. Rangi also contributed the stairs going downward near the top to the back of the mountain.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Pokémon Ancient Platinum is almost like a "what if Diamond, Pearl and Platinum were Generation II, rather than IV?" scenario.

This is really awesome, I'd be very much looking forward to seeing how much progress will be made with this hack, best of luck to you!

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • https://www.deviantart.com/piacarrot/art/Ancient-Platinum-World-Map-2-17-19-782894319

Here's a link to the world map I update every few days. I just updated it today with a lot of huge progress and revision. Jubilife now has stairs going every direction, and one less Gatehouse. Ravaged path works as the gatehouse in this case now, and 204 is split into 2 maps that use different tilesets.

I did get a little ahead of myself, and you can see Valley Windworks is complete (atleast outside, ive not touched indoor tilesets yet).

Would like to thank Mmmmm, MonstaRules and FroggestSpirit for contributing a lot of music code to this project, there's a lot that will be featured from those artists.

EDIT: One thing I'd like to discuss is what features to keep from the Orange base. For one, I'd like to keep the B2W2 Repel system, as well as the Orange surf speed. Some other things that are controversial but make the game a bit more easier to slog through would be the BW Exp system, Catch exp and the Gen 6 Exp Share. Let me know what you think. Playing Platinum on my DS again is proving that your non-ace Pokemon get left behind pretty easily and this might help with that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gen 6 was my second favorite generation and enjoyed the exp share for that gen since it helped me manage a team of six as I had a team of six fairly early on surprisingly.

I don't know how the bw exp system would make it easier with the fact that the higher level you got the less experience you got after battle, that gen was the hardest gen for me.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Gen 6 was my second favorite generation and enjoyed the exp share for that gen since it helped me manage a team of six as I had a team of six fairly early on surprisingly.

I don't know how the bw exp system would make it easier with the fact that the higher level you got the less experience you got after battle, that gen was the hardest gen for me.

It makes lower level Pokemon much easier to level, but does make it harder for your highest level Pokemon to get levels if they're already overlevelled.

Back