The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Seventh Generation
Seventh Generation Why does this Generation receive so much hate?

Seventh Generation Alola, trainers! Come discuss the latest generation in the Pokémon series with us! This includes Sun & Moon as well as Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon.

Old April 23rd, 2018 (5:41 AM).
The Unyielding Flame

Nature: Adamant
I think the Pokemon Bank put me off considerably too.

I'd be willing to pay money to trade Pokemon over to a new system, like the Switch, but to suddenly have the same console now unable to connect, despite being able to do it in the last two games; that was intentional and it was intentional to squeeze more money out of fans.

That put me off right away, but then I just didn't like the game at all either.

As Jane mentioned, I recall the opening cutscene lasting an hour or so, the Pokemon designs and story being a bit uninteresting for me (though I did like the fire cat starter) and the fact the arrow keys no longer worked.... it began adding up for me. That I simply did not enjoy this game and had no desire to keep playing.

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 23rd, 2018 (5:21 PM).
u5uk1r0k

Nature: Bashful
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enpatsu Shakugan View Post
    I think the Pokemon Bank put me off considerably too.

I'd be willing to pay money to trade Pokemon over to a new system, like the Switch, but to suddenly have the same console now unable to connect, despite being able to do it in the last two games; that was intentional and it was intentional to squeeze more money out of fans.
    What's wrong with pokebank?
    -Nurse Joy
    “I like shorts! They’re comfy and easy to wear!”
    -Youngster
    “Mostly I breathe fire, but want to exchange numbers?”
    -Firebreather Walt... Sure, I'll give my number that let's anyone know where I am to a strange shirtless firebreathing man who ran up to me and attempted ot incapacitate my pets...
    Old April 24th, 2018 (1:36 AM). Edited April 24th, 2018 by Orithan.

I'd rather the OG Sun/Moon's "easy" difficulty over US/UM's poorly balanced "hard" difficulty; which includes straight up unfair fights that more or less demand bringing specific counters or straight up cheesing with Z-Moves like Kiwae's Thick Club Marowak + Salazzle, Ultra Necrozma and the final trial's Ribome. This type of so called "elite" difficulty can straight up softlock less patient or experienced players from the rest of the game.
      Even if OG Sun/Moon are easy, you still have to earn your victories and are not trivial; many of the totems like Mimmikyu are challenging unless you overlevel and steamroll them or otherwise cheese them.
      Pokemon has never been really hard. It's always been a mild challenge at most (aside from some really unfair battles like the aforementioned battles in US/UM) to those who are experienced with the series.
      Old April 24th, 2018 (3:04 PM). Edited April 24th, 2018 by Enpatsu Shakugan.
      The Unyielding Flame

Quote:
      Originally Posted by w1f1pa55w0rd View Post
      What's wrong with pokebank?
      The annual fee to transfer Pokemon between the exact same systems that previously worked in every other game.

It's transparent as all hell that it was purely for profit. And they disabled any other option but it, to essentially bully people into using it, and the fee.

I could tolerate such a system, even the fee, if it was needed, like, say, to port 3DS Pokemon to something like the Switch, but in S/M's case, it was pure greed.
      Put me off instantly.

Didn't help I didn't like the game, but that certainly didn't help it.
      Old April 24th, 2018 (9:34 PM). Edited April 25th, 2018 by Nah.
      u5uk1r0k

Can you transfer Pkmn from SM/USUM to Switch via the Pokebank without paying for another service

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Orithan View Post
        I'd rather the OG Sun/Moon's "easy" difficulty over US/UM's poorly balanced "hard" difficulty; which includes straight up unfair fights that more or less demand bringing specific counters or straight up cheesing with Z-Moves like Kiwae's Thick Club Marowak + Salazzle, Ultra Necrozma and the final trial's Ribome. This type of so called "elite" difficulty can straight up softlock less patient or experienced players from the rest of the game.
        Even if OG Sun/Moon are easy, you still have to earn your victories and are not trivial; many of the totems like Mimmikyu are challenging unless you overlevel and steamroll them or otherwise cheese them.
        Pokemon has never been really hard. It's always been a mild challenge at most (aside from some really unfair battles like the aforementioned battles in US/UM) to those who are experienced with the series.
        Dude, if you played Platinum or D/P, you remeber Cynthia, right? Probably the herdest NPC, mroe than Red. Atleast with him I had Lvl. 90 Pkmn. I used my level 60-65 team and was still steamrolled. That's the difficulty I want in the newer generations. ORAS wasn;t easy, but it wasn;t hard. SM was so easy, I trained on the league without items and won every single time. There's no point now. The games are damn tutorials to attract new players.
        -Nurse Joy
        -Youngster
        -Firebreather Walt... Sure, I'll give my number that let's anyone know where I am to a strange shirtless firebreathing man who ran up to me and attempted ot incapacitate my pets...
        Old April 25th, 2018 (1:51 PM).
        The Unyielding Flame

Quote:
        Can you transfer Pkmn from SM/USUM to Switch via the Pokebank without paying for another service
        Apart from direct trading (I don't have any friends with 3DS' and only have one myself), I think Game Freak has made the Pokemon Bank (and thus fee) mandatory if you ever want to trade Pokemon yourself from one generation to another.

And actually, I don't think trading between generations even works anymore P2P either. That's just between the same game.

Yeah, the ONLY way now is that Pokemon Bank. Pretty sleazy.
        Old April 25th, 2018 (6:55 PM).
        u5uk1r0k

It's not that bad. Dude, honestly, I am happy
          Spoiler:
          that Lillie;s story was razed to the ground. I hated her
          . However, many don't seeem to like this, but I think it's a godsend.
          -Nurse Joy
          -Youngster
          Old April 26th, 2018 (1:12 PM).
          10000 year Emperor of Hoenn

Nature: Careful
            Quote:
            Yeah, they just didn't seem to have the grinding aspect, or the work for the results ideology. Everythign was practically given to you. The games were just too easy, and the post game was basically non-existant after the UB missions. Only competitive battling improved, imo.
            It was the same with Gen VI.

I liked better this Gen than the previous 2 tbh xD. Though like Nah said before, the newest Gen does tend to get a lot of hate. I still recall how Gen III (and this was before I joined any Pokemon forums), IV, V, and VI got a ton of hate...
            Old April 29th, 2018 (6:54 PM). Edited April 29th, 2018 by MegaWeedle.

I still haven't actually finished Sun & Moon. I think I'm currently in some library, looking up something about some legendary pokemon for reasons I can't remember. It makes for a strange contrast to the very similar X&Y and ORAS, both of which I just loved, and blitzed through in roughly two weeks, deliberately slowing myself down to make them last.

For me, the issue wasn't the new pokemon, or the available older Gen pokemon, or replacing gym badges with trials, or the difficulty level. All of those things seemed absolutely fine to me. What killed Sun & Moon for me was just how intrusive the story was.

I don't mind that the story wasn't very good. The vast majority of Pokemon games have pretty poor stories, but it doesn't matter. That's not what I play Pokemon games for. I don't care about the evil Team's plans, or the legendary being woken up this time, or my rival's personal journey. I just want to catch Pokemon and make them battle other Pokemon.

Sun & Moon's story wasn't any better or worse than any other Pokemon game's. But it was much harder to ignore. It seemed like the game was constantly stopping for yet another cutscene, and they were so pointless. Just Hau or Lillie or some other person rambling on about nothing for an eternity. To rub salt in the wound, they give you Mass Effect-style dialogue options - none of which make the slightest of difference in how the story progresses, meaning that all it achieves is slowing down the cut-scenes even further!

It probably wouldn't have been quite so irritating in earlier generations. Mostly because the cut-scenes were much simpler and progressed more quickly. NPC enters from offscreen, talks to you for a bit, you can hold down A to make the dialogue appear on screen more quickly, and then its over. B&W's storyline could be pretty frustratingly intrusive too (I could quite happily go my entire life without reading another of N's banal monologues ever again), but didn't suffer so much from this because the dialogue could be skipped through more quickly.

But now there are establishing shots and camera angles, and the NPCs can actually gesture and do things beyond walk and stay still, you get to see the protagonist staring and grinning like has suffered brain damage in response to all of this, and in theory this should make these cutscenes more interesting, but in practice it just makes them longer. On top of that, the dialogue doesn't seem to be able to be sped through in the same way, instead the speech bubble appears, the dialogue appears, then it skips to the next line in its own time. (I could be misremembering here, it's been a while since I last fired up Sun & Moon.) I don't care about whatever the heck is threatening the world this time - just let me battle Pokemon!

It wouldn't have been so bad if the story - like in most Pokemon games - didn't take itself so damn seriously all the time. I liked, for example, how deliberately stupid Team Skull was, and that fire (?) trial made me genuinely laugh out loud in a way I rarely do while while playing Pokemon (those post-game scenes in ORAS where you get the extra starters were similarly uncharacteristically hilarious, to the point where it seems like you've just wandered into a different game.) Were the tone a bit more like this, and less aggressively dull, I wouldn't have nearly as much issue which how much prominence the story took up in the game.
              Old May 3rd, 2018 (4:03 AM). Edited May 3rd, 2018 by colours.
              • GT

Nature: Quiet
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire View Post
              I liked better this Gen than the previous 2 tbh xD. Though like Nah said before, the newest Gen does tend to get a lot of hate. I still recall how Gen III (and this was before I joined any Pokemon forums), IV, V, and VI got a ton of hate...
              Isn't that interesting? And yet all of those generations years later are one of the most beloved (except for Gen VI, people justifiably aren't a fan of that generation).

Really though, I think as we get older, our standards became much more stricter, because we expect Pokemon games to grow up with us. Pokemon games will always be, at their core, whimsical and nonsensical. The plot and characters were never supposed to be something to write home about, because that was never the point of Pokemon.

I think the best way to have fun with Pokemon games the way some of us did as kids is to stop giving a muk about all that in the first place and play Pokemon for what it's supposed to be: a pocket monster game that lets you breed, train, battle, and trade hundreds of creatures back and fourth. That's how Pokemon has always been and I think some of us need to drop the expectation that it'll change because it's likely that it won't.
              Old May 20th, 2018 (3:23 PM).

Nature: Jolly
                All new generations do. When Pokémon Switch comes out you’ll see plenty of complainers.

My 15 favorite Characters are Swanna, Samurott, Charizard, Lugia, Reshiram, Kyurem, Aegislash, Xerneas, Diancie, Kommo-o, Lunala, Ultra Necrozma, Shiron the Windragon, Dragon and Bowser! My #0 is Swanna!! My #1 is Samurott!
                Old May 22nd, 2018 (7:19 PM).
                OT: Edgar

Nature: Modest
                  I just didn't like the Pokedex telling me where to go next all the time.
                  Plus having someone check on me all the time I enter a new place letting me know about the place or something else, was quite a pain.
                  Old May 23rd, 2018 (10:06 AM). Edited May 24th, 2018 by NewtonRPG.
                  Newton

True, you want to explore a new place on your own, then all of a sudden, it spoils for you. Besides, only you have the choice to catch Pokémon, not the dex...

I honestly like Gen 7, but I never understood why Gen 7 received so much hate... If Game Freak wants to try something new, let them try something new, because having the Gyms again would be repetitive for the game.

[align=center]
                    Name: Lucky
                    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage[/align]

Old June 18th, 2018 (5:15 AM).
                    high as hope

Nature: Quirky
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by colours View Post
                    lol

the reason why people dislike this generation is more or less because of USUM. because the way USUM was marketed made it seem like it was going to be another B2W2 instead of being a third game and that ended up pissing a lot of people off. there's nothing inherently wrong with alola as a region, only the way the games were designed to portray the region.

this is why i strongly wish that USUM was an actual sequel instead of a third game, that way seventh generation would get MUCH better reception. i just dont think game freak really treated seventh generation with the kind of care it really deserved in the long run because a sequel would've been a perfect send-off to seventh gen, being the last games on the 3DS line and all.
                    I think you have the best point here. I was definitely deceived by the US/UM marketing too, especially since there was so many B2/W2 vibes I picked up on. I even feel the difficulty here was very unfair, especially with stuff like Ultra Necrozma or some very tough Totems like Marowak, Ribombee, and the new wide-coverage set on Kommo-o. Beating that Necrozma without a Zoroark is a pipe dream, and don't get how I was able to beat it without such a Pokemon.
                    Old June 18th, 2018 (9:00 AM).

Nature: Quiet
                      If anything, Gen 7 had a ton of flaws that really bothered me. The first and biggest problem that Gen 7 had was the incredible amount of hype it got, especially with it being an anniversary special. The whole thing felt like a major let-down. The game was incredibly slow (Especially with how fast paced gen 5 and 6 were) and by lord, the trials were a real bore and above, the poorly executed inclusion of Red and Green/Blue. I did not even bother buying USUM and boy am I glad that I did not.
                      If there is anyone out here suffering or struggling to get through life, then please listen to my song. I hope it gives you the energy to continue fighting so you can see a brighter day.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSfyWlEdZAc
                      Old June 18th, 2018 (2:40 PM).
                      Perfection gimmick ! !

Nature: Lonely
                      People hate the seventh generation because it tried to be different from the past six generations...you know, the Island Trial, and apparently people seem to really hate Lillie.

Needless to say, I find the hate annoying. :)
                      Old June 20th, 2018 (8:06 PM). Edited June 20th, 2018 by strangerhypno.

I didn't hate the trials that much, it's that they were different from gyms mostly in name. The trials were similar to gyms in many ways which I didn't like for a supposed new concept. I didn't mind Lillie either, but she's not a groundbreaking character. I guess the unskippable cutscenes and tutorials didn't help either. The biggest gripes I have with gen 7 games is the pokemon designs and boring handheld tutorials, oh and the cheap ploy known as USUM.
                        Old June 21st, 2018 (11:05 AM).

I never finished this gen, but the older the gen, the more old heads there are who will think "things have changed!!!!1!11!11!!"
                          Old June 21st, 2018 (2:57 PM).
                          Unprofessional Unprofessional

My biggest problem with this gen is the fact that USUM are so similar to SM, making the gen seem like 4 of the same game. I don't really mind that USUM were 2 versions rather than 1, but being 'enhanced' versions rather than sequels really made them disappointing. Gamefreak has shown that it is capable of creating sequels with B2W2. Overall, because of this, Gen VII is pretty okay with 2 okay games, and 2 less than okay games. And now Let's Go are coming out, which are sort of Gen VII, so this Gen might get even less okay.
                            Living Pokedex Complete: Y, C, LG, E, Pl, HG, B, B2, X, Y, OR, AS, M, UM
                            Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1 and ~RNC~

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
                            Old July 3rd, 2018 (7:13 PM).

Nature: Modest
                              No National Pokedex and MeleMele island is basically tutorial.
                              Old July 4th, 2018 (10:27 AM). Edited July 4th, 2018 by Entei Fan.
                              Canine pokemon fan

Location: Hamsternidia , somewhere in the universe
                                Nature: Gentle
                                I think:

No new Eeveelutions
                                Lame starters* (From Sylveon)
                                New rule 34 female grass type pokemon (From Sylveon)
                                Marowak is now a ghost type (Wow gamefreak, what a nod to the mother Marowak's ghost in pokemon tower)

* - I generally like the water starter

Original nick - BH
                                Name - Bartek
                                Old July 4th, 2018 (1:55 PM).
                                True-blue Shiny Hunter

Nature: Jolly
                                  This game had a Kanto fetish. Period. Also cough cough Hapu and Olivia cough cough

"A brawl is surely brewing! It's on!!"
                                  Old July 4th, 2018 (2:56 PM).
                                  (≧∇≦)/

Nature: Timid
                                  Maybe I just don't pay enough attention, but I don't see this generation getting that much hate? Certainly much less than you'd expect from a game that abolished the gym system we've been used to since the franchise's beginning. It has its fair share of issues (no national dex, cutscenes, etc) but the level of dislike I've seen is nowhere near the complaints I've heard about gens III and V.

my personal opinion, alola is<3

pair family twin mal llsif bandori battle server
                                  Old July 4th, 2018 (3:02 PM). Edited July 4th, 2018 by Topaz Light.

Nature: Gentle
                                    My distaste for Alola comes from a few things:
                                    • An incredibly-slow start laden with an insufferable amount of unskippable tutorials.
                                    • The game forcing the region to be traversed in a completely linear way and making you do all the "main goal" things in the very specific order it wants you to, despite that it actually has a layout that's conducive to being explored in at least a somewhat nonlinear fashion for the first time since Sinnoh. The first four generations all at least had some points where you could choose which order you wanted to do certain things in, put them off until later, etc.
                                    • Cutscenes are placed rather carelessly at some points and are disruptively-frequent, even if the characters themselves are relatively likable.
                                    • The Island Trials really aren't functionally all that different from Gyms except that instead of engaging with the game's main mechanics, most of the time is spent on shallow gimmick minigames.
                                    • The Island Trials actually bring me into my next point which is that I despise the whole reinforcement-calling mechanic. It's really more annoying than anything and the fact that the Totem Pokémon make heavy use of it is a major point against them for me.
                                    • I feel about Z-Moves the same way I feel about Mega Evolutions: They're basically limit breaks, but in Pokémon. I do not think Pokémon needs or is even improved in any meaningful way by having limit breaks in it. Having two flavors of them instead of one does not change that.
                                    • I don't like Ride Pokémon. This is probably going to be the very most controversial of my opinions on Generation VII, but I legitimately preferred HMs, at least conceptually. I really enjoyed having my own Pokémon be the ones performing those field functions; it makes them feel like exploration partners in addition to combat ones. Ride Pokémon, meanwhile, are very blatantly a gameplay function and only a gameplay function, and I feel no attachment to them whatsoever if that's the only way in which I "have" the Pokémon being used in gameplay. I think I'd prefer if they made it so that every Pokémon of each species always had all the field abilities of all the HMs they could learn all at once, but they didn't take up move slots and couldn't be used in battle, and you'd unlock the ability to use them as you got Gym Badges or something. That way, it would still be your own Pokémon helping you out with field traversal functions, but it would also solve the issue of necessitating that move slots be consumed by them such that they'd be a huge pain to free up for other moves.
                                    Old July 9th, 2018 (10:54 AM). Edited July 9th, 2018 by atmmachine11.
                                    Jumping portals since 1997.

Nature: Quirky
                                      I like it a lot actually, the only thing I have to complain about is something others brought up which is Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. I am legitimately tired of them making mediocre sequel/middle games. I actually loved Black and White 2 and felt they added/changed enough for them to be worth it, however Ultra Sun and Moon do barely anything to make them new. Maybe it has to do with the fact Black and White 2 were 2ish years after the original's release whereas US and UM were released about a year after.

Oh I almost forgot, there is one thing I'm not a fan of and that's the lack of a national dex, it makes zero sense and doesen't make me want to bring any of my Pokemon over.

______________ __________________

Quick Reply