• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Why does this Generation receive so much hate?

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2020
So what I've gathered from this thread is that I might as well forgo playing Sun/Moon and go directly to US/UM?
-yeah, I'm a little behind generations-

Last edited:
Years
Aside from all the other talking points that also reflect my disappointment in this generation, I will point out the UI when using the online features is not as smooth as I would like it to be, which leaves something to be desired.

That's Festival Plaza, the most unanimously-hated feature of this entire generation for you.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
So what I've gathered from this thread is that I might as well forgo playing Sun/Moon and go directly to US/UM?

Yeah, definitely skip Sun/Moon and just go for the Ultra versions

Years

As Nah and Colours said, you are much better off going for US/UM. They are clearly the superior versions, since they already have mostly the same story progress as S/M, but with additional stuff like useful Move Tutors and the Mantine Surf minigame which can be really useful for grinding up BP to purchase certain items or use the Move Tutors.

While the postgame isn't as expansive as say, HG/SS or B2/W2, it still has some good postgame content like Rainbow Rocket, Battle Tree and exploring Ultra Space, where you can catch various Pokemon, as well as each of the Ultra Beasts.

Last edited:

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
That's Festival Plaza, the most unanimously-hated feature of this entire generation for you.
Indeed, a feature that had much potential but (very) poorly executed. Though, USUM made a slight improvement that you can (sort of) redesign your castle. However, the rigid UI is something I will never get used to.

Years
Indeed, a feature that had much potential but (very) poorly executed. Though, USUM made a slight improvement that you can (sort of) redesign your castle. However, the rigid UI is something I will never get used to.

Actually, both SM and USUM have the ability to redesign the castle, though USUM does add that Rainbow Rocket castle.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
Is that so? Well, I'll be...

I suppose that's what I get for being relatively apathetic to the Festival Plaza in Sun. Then again, this only proves our case of the Festival Plaza being an overall failure.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Is that so? Well, I'll be...

I suppose that's what I get for being relatively apathetic to the Festival Plaza in Sun. Then again, this only proves our case of the Festival Plaza being an overall failure.

Alright, I may in fact, be in the minority, but I actually like Festival Plaza. Sure, it's not as quickly accessible as the PSS from last gen and you have to go into a new interface and then connect from in there as opposed to jumping right in, but it provides a lot of stuff to do outside of simply "get in, get online, do what you need", such as Bottle Cap farming, dying your outfit, quickly removing unwanted EVs, buying some useful items, and (if you have it set up) a fast way to power-level to 100 that isn't as monotonous as killing Chansey after Chansey. Getting online can enhance the experience more in a somewhat similar manner to the PSS, making the place feel like an ingame online hub, which matches the spirit of what Pokemon truly is. The only real problem is the steep learning curve, especially if you're more used to the PSS, but when you're in, it can get quite fun. Another minor gripe was how hard it was to farm Festival Coins in SM, and you had to rely on fortune tellers to get the boosts. USUM though, alleviates this by increasing the gains from monotonous tasks while it also provides the Battle Agency, which can really rake in the dough.

In essence, it took the concept of the Join Avenue from B2W2, and expanded upon it.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
Being someone who has been more or less away from conversations about this generation pretty much since SM came out, I feel like I have a untainted opinion of this generation, and it isn't really a good one.

Don't get me wrong, I liked a lot of the Pokemon they added (especially Mimikyu), and the story had a really strong premise. But that is about it, all downhill from there. A lot of little problems added up to make playing the games a lackluster experience, and even an unbearable one at times.

1) I'll start with the Rotom Dex. I actually hate that thing with a burning passion. It was annoying, ruined any feeling of exploration, and took up the entire bottom of the DS screen at all times. It sounds great to have in a game for the younger kids to have fun with, but without an opt out option it just mocked me the whole time.

2) Then came the button scheme. For the previous two games on the 3DS i was still able to use the D-pad as my primary walking and running control. When i turned on the game for the first time and couldn't use the D-pad the way it had been for literally every Generation before it, I felt lost. I still do actually, it just doesn't feel natural.

3) When i found out they were ditching gyms for another type of game progression tool I was optimistic whether it could be done well. I think they had a good idea, but it ended up falling into an uncanny valley where it was pretty much a re-skinned gym with no context... I found it hard explaining to myself why they were significant, which brings me to my next gripe.

4) Z-moves are stupid. I don't like them. They look terrible, they are too powerful, and they don't make any sense. I literally can't find any reason to like them, and as a result I never used them.

5) This is connected to my D-pad sadness, but I also really don't like having to ride Pokemon. I never thought I would say this, but I miss HMs. They were more logical (sorry, but the summon idea is actually stupid), didn't take my bike away, and I still had my D-pad.

6) As for the story... I didn't like Han (I think that was his name). Lilly was cool, and team scull was pretty funny at times, but overall it ended up being oversimplified for such a convoluted and complicated plot line. They had a lot of room to have some really cool battles and events, and they didn't use their story to it's full potential. At least in my opinion. This is probably the one complaint that everyone will disagree with me to some degree.

7) Finally, the main reason that I don't like this generation was the game itself. Despite how it looks, this is at least 90% of my problem with the game. I felt like the game was too linear. I always had that red flag on the bottom of my screen, like I was just going through the motions. I miss when i could do things out of order to an extent. I know it hasn't been that way since Gen 3, but this game exemplified that feeling. There was no alternate path, only the one they laid out in front of you. There was no challenge. I couldn't even feel like I was making the decisions for myself.

A lot of these problems I have here can be attested to me just having grown up a bit. I think that is the issue for a lot of the people here. But this game didn't have to be this way. Like I said, these are all relatively small complaints on their own but add up to be a big issue. If SM has received a lot of hate, this "so many little things" would be a pretty good reason why.

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2020
As Nah and Colours said, you are much better off going for US/UM. They are clearly the superior versions, since they already have mostly the same story progress as S/M, but with additional stuff like useful Move Tutors and the Mantine Surf minigame which can be really useful for grinding up BP to purchase certain items or use the Move Tutors.

While the postgame isn't as expansive as say, HG/SS or B2/W2, it still has some good postgame content like Rainbow Rocket, Battle Tree and exploring Ultra Space, where you can catch various Pokemon, as well as each of the Ultra Beasts.

Yeah, definitely skip Sun/Moon and just go for the Ultra versions

I don't think you'd be in any distinct advantage by playing SM first, so you're fine to go straight to USUM.

Alright, on it. Thanks for the recommendations!

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
Years
It's a very unbalanced set of games. I got Ultra Moon a few days ago and it seems too simple in the sense that everything is handed to the player on the first island it seems like, and navigating through the game seems too straight forward. Meanwhile, trading seems kind of convoluted with the whole Festival Plaza thing, plus I hate how most of the minor NPCs only have one Pokemon each.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 11, 2018
I think visually it lost a big part of the classic look to the series.
There extremly 3D look doesn't feel as nice as the more moderate 2.5D.
Combine this with a new map that was quite small, linear, had no gyms, bikes, or traditional methods of travel.
I think it tried to fix what wasn't broken.

Years
The graphic concerns are understandable, I think. Unless you grew up with the 3D spinoffs like Pokemon Stadium/Pokemon Colosseum etc, you're probably not going to be too attached to the 3D in Gen 7.

Years
Too many cutscenes, Hau following you everywhere without letting you breathe, dumb roadblocks (removing HMs was a mistake), etc. I can go on and on.....

Last edited:

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
dumb roadblocks (removing HMs was a mistake),...etc.

Actually, a lot of games have had these so-called "dumb roadblocks", not just this one. The one in B2W2 comes to mind ("We're dancing for no reason and someday we'll disappear for no reason."), and there was another one in XY where they claim there was a blackout, yet countless NPCs just senselessly walk past the guy. The one that takes the cake though, is the one in RSE where a scientist claims to have found some rare footprints, only to find out it was his own...cmon man, how can you be a scientist when you can't identify your own footprints.

As for Alola, the roadblocks actually worked as the game could justify good reasons behind them, which is, in this case, preventing trial-goers from skipping ahead too far and doing something out of their depth. The removal of HMs didn't make the roadblocks "dumber".

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
remember when HMs were something that literally everyone hated, and when it was revealed that they were replaced with Ride Pokemon everyone was so glad?

Pepperridge Farm remembers

Nah remembers

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
remember when HMs were something that literally everyone hated, and when it was revealed that they were replaced with Ride Pokemon everyone was so glad?

Pepperridge Farm remembers

Nah remembers

Gladion remembers

I love the removal of HMs & I hope it stays that way.

Reactions: Nah
Years
Removal of the HMs were good, but I feel like Ride Pokémon were wrong thing that replaced them. I like what they're doing with "HMs" in LGPE.

Back