• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Random Shiny Moment?

Cuprite (Kyu)

Formerly TheGoldenRiolu
Years
What was your favorite shiny encounter in a Pokemon game?
If you've encountered a shiny Pokemon purely by chance (No shiny hunting stories), how many times have you found one? What was your favorite one of them and what game did you find it in?

I've only found two shiny Pokemon before. The first one was a Deerling in Pokemon White, but that's not as great as my second shiny. The second shiny I've ever found was a shiny Abra in Pokemon Moon (Minor Sun/Moon spoilers ahead) close to the beginning of the game. I went back to Hau'oli City from Akala Island to find an Alolan Grimer and while I was running in the grass (Failing to find a single Grimer), I had run into an Abra. I saw it was a paler yellow than usual. I was really excited for a second since I had found a shiny, but then I started to panic. This was an Abra. Abra is infamous for using Teleport. You can see why I was worried. I checked my Pokeballs and saw that I had a single Quick Ball and I used it. Now I have a shiny Alakazam nicknamed Cosmo on my team!

065.png

Yes, I know, it's really ironic how I've never found a shiny Riolu. XD

Years
Well, pretty much all of my obtained shinies were random encounters but my best moment has to be my most recent one and that was a shiny Yungoos in Moon. I only had the game for four days when I encountered her, and you have to admit I was definitely not expecting getting a shiny so early in the 7th Gen era.

She's now my record-holder for the earliest shiny I obtained in a new generation, and she's now a proud pink Gumshoos.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I only have one shiny I encountered myself so that's automatically the best story. I was about to leave the Great Marsh when this green Marill popped up. Once I caught it I knew how lucky I was because it could've ran away easily. To this date my only shiny in 12 years of playing.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Congrats on the Shiny Abra! I'm always terrified that I'll find a Shiny Abra in areas it appears and it will use Teleport.

I feel that my best random Shiny encounter was Nidoran Male in FireRed. I found it in the dreaded Safari Zone, but I lucked-out and caught it. Such a cute blue porcupine-bunny. <3

Sadly, I loaned the game to a friend and they lost the cartridge. T_T

As far as Shinies that I still have, Porygon (now Porygon2) would be my favorite. I wasn't hunting for a Shiny one, just SRing for a Modest one in Platinum. After less than 10 resets, BAM! Blue cyber-duck. Not the nature I was going for, but I certainly wasn't going to pass it up.

Here's a list of random full-odds* Shinies I've found so far:

- Golbat (Silver)
- Weedle (Silver and LeafGreen)
- Nidoran Male (FireRed)
- Pidgey (Silver and HeartGold)
- Gastly (Pearl)
- Minun (Emerald)
- Machoke (Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum)
- Porygon (Platinum)
- Koffing (Crystal)
- Raticate (Diamond)
- Rattata (HeartGold)
- Hoothoot (HeartGold)
- Basculin Red Stripe (Black)
- Litwick (Black)
- Chimecho (Black)
- Caterpie (LeafGreen)
- Eevee (X)
- Marill (Platinum)
- Tentacool (Sapphire)

*Full-odds Shinies are those found/hatched without anything to boost your chances. (Random Shinies post-Shiny Charm are not considered full-odds.)

I also found a Shiny Graveler (Pearl) and Quagsire (Platinum), but they got away... Quagsire fled and Graveler, well, you can probably guess.

No Sun/Moon Shinies yet. Dx

Last edited:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
the only encounter I've had with a shiny was red Gyrarados from Soul Silver, and I failed to catch it lol. So I've had no fun random experience with any shiny, much less actually catching or hatching one.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
i was training a chansey to get it to evolve into blissey in ruby one day before school (like 5 years ago when i was in 5th grade) when a shiny pelipper appeared. i had to leave for school, so i put the gameboy advance sp on the charger and kept it on the whole school day lol, came back and caught it. on a later file, i ran into a shiny nincada--without any poké balls. i was not that happy~
i was also playing through pokémon x and my sail fossil turned into a shiny amaura. i was really confused when grant's amaura was darker than mine; i had never seen a normal amaura and hadn't used mine in battle! needless to say, that thing became my baby and i've tried to use it on battle spot teams with horrible ivs and all.
i was hatching random eggs which had clogged my pc box in pokémon black when one of them was a shiny phione <3
i have a shiny minun in platinum, a rattata in heartgold, a meowth in leaf green, and a venonat and a ralts in pearl. venonat and rattata will never evolve ehehe
i lost a shiny mr. mime and shelgon in heartgold's safari zone, though
the only shiny that i've gotten while hunting was eevee in heartgold.
i hit 999:59 a long time ago on that game rip

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I was EV training with hordes for my to-be competitive in-game team in X, when I encountered this strangely coloured Wingull among the group of 5. Switching out the Gyarados I was using to just Surf everything to death, I brought out my Gardevoir to Psychic each of them until the shiny was the last one left. Caught it with ease soon after.

It's a shame that I don't own X anymore, nor the 2DS that I used to play it, so that shiny's as good as gone.

Years
In ORAS I was looking under the cycling road for a Electrike and after my first encounter, I found a shiny one, I've never had anything like that happen to me in Pokemon before it was so cool.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Never purposley look for shiny pokemon as it always seemed to take the luster and mystique away from them.

Encountering a shiny Togepi in White Forest was pretty cool. I remember getting that sparkle animation and thinking it looks exactly the same as a regular Togepi. Same deal when I found a shiny Gothita too. {XD}

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I've only found 3 full odds random encounter shinies.

My first ever shiny in any game was a Pawniard in Y, I found it after beating the game and while looking for Pokémon to fill my living dex. At the time I didn't know that when the daycard man says "They don't seem to get along" They can still produce an egg so I was looking for a second Magneton to breed for a Magnemite. Not shiny, just a regular Magnemite.

Anyways I went into Lost Hotel and ran into about 10 consecutive non-Magneton Pokémon, mostly Pawniards, I thought I'll come back later and left, then immediately changed my mind and ran back in. The first encounter was a shiny Pawniard.

I wasn't watching the screen and had volume down so when I saw it the only indication it was shiny was the coloring.

Luckily I ran into all those Pawniard's before as I wouldn't have known it was shiny just based on color as I'm not as familiar with gen 4 and 5. If it had been my first encounter I probably would have ran.

I was also watching a popular shiny hunter online at the time, it was around the time I was interested in watching shiny hunting streams but had never shiny hunted myself. It lead me to start shiny hunting actually.

My second random was a Geodude in Victory Road, it was a random horde encounter and my 3rd was a Druddigon in Victory Road. I've spent quite a bit of time in Victory Road leveling up Pokémon, some of the gen 5 Pokémon take 20-30 levels to evolve...

Last edited:
Years
one time i was playing pokemon heart gold and then i found a shiny sentret right after lyra's catching tutorial and i caught it and i was so happy. then that save file got deleted.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
I was just walking around in Ruby, and I suddenly encountered a dark green Trapinch....I was shocked when I saw it. I mean, a shiny Flygon? Never would I expect to have a shiny Flygon of all Pokemon, ever. I treasure it still so much, it fit my team perfectly and won contests too <3

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
Years
  • Age 24
  • UK
  • Seen Jun 6, 2023
My first shiny was a Shiny Ponyta in Platinum. Then in X/Y I encountered a random shiny Whismur in the Connecting Cave (or whatever it's cried). I mean, it was so random that it was still early on in the game and I was only in the cave to get to the other side.

I've never had any luck at actually hunting for shinies. I had a chain of over 100 Zangooses only for it be ruined by a Surskit. But it's okay, I got one eventually traded to me.

Years
two memories stick out for me. about ten years ago, both my brother and i found shiny pokemon on emerald and sapphire within 1 hour of each other. the other major memory ive had was when i was actively searching for shinies using the pokeradar, and found a shiny nosepass by sheer luck.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
Ive been playing a long time and in PKMN sun was the first time i had a shinny now i have a shinny Tucannon

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
Years
I've only encountered two shinies in my entire life; FireRed and Emerald. With FireRed, it was more of a "this must be a glitch in the system" situation. As a result, I didn't put the poor thing in a pedestal (it was a shiny Weedle) and kept it since its shiny color scheme was better than its original, in my opinion of course. I kept it in my team, adoring its blue eyes and paler skin features, until... I reset it. I was still thinking that it was a random glitch, although even then I should have saved it knowing it was a nice glitch.

Years down the road I cried knowing I had a blue-eyed insect.

As for Emerald, I was simply trying to level up my Skarmory, when suddenly, A WILD SPINDA APPEARED. And it was green. I loved it. It wasn't a strong Spinda, and had pretty sucky moves, but hey it was a shiny. By then I definitely knew what a shiny was, thus why I cherished it. It's still in my Emerald, happily dancing about in the daycare.

AleXShi1

Keep it real
Years
Finding a glorious golden tropius and having 2 great balls, as soon as i threw the 2nd great ball i knew it was all over.. i had lost it

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Lol I have to share this...

Last night I dreamed about finding a shiny Corsola. A few minutes ago I got a shiny toxapex on Wonder Trade. Next trade? A shiny Gyarados lmao the odds of that are insane! Both were needed for dex so I'm super happy there lol :) They didn't need to be shiny to excite me but I'll take that lol

Back