• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can fat people be beautiful?

Years
  • Gluttony and lack of willpower aren't particularly attractive traits in my opinion, so no, a majority of fat people aren't beautiful, inside or out. That's just me though, everybody has their type. Beauty is a package deal which includes the physical form, I think people that say it's all about the inside are telling porkies.

Have you guys ever heard of All About that Bass by Meghan Trainor? To me, this is one of the first songs I've heard that have embraced beauty for what it really is. It's cheesy, but it's a got a good message to those who are overweight.

I like the body positive message of that song but of course people have to take it too far. I hate the whole #realwomenhavecurves crowd so much, the fact a woman can walk down the street without her thighs rubbing raw doesn't make her any less of a woman [well, in terms of mass I guess it does].

Digital Underground did it better anyway. So did Christina Aguilera if we're only talking cheesy pop.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • okay so it is a fact that being overweight is very bad for the human body, right?
    so let's not deny that folks

but when it comes to this stuff, feeling attracted and finding somebody who is fat pretty....
    isn't that PERSONAL TASTE? Personal Preference?

there is no discussion about this specific question if you ask me

some people find skinny guys/girls attractive and sexy for some reason... whatever that may be
    whilst others would say; EEEWWW, i want some fatty on tha bones

i personally do not feel attracted to ''fat'' / ''overweight'' people and that is fine
    because lots of others are the opposite of me and will fall madly in love with somebody overweight

done.

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • In light of what many have said (including myself), that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, here's another question.

Considering being overweight is unhealthy, are we encouraging those who are overweight to continue to make poor lifestyle choices? In essence, are we, by arguing that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, promoting poor lifestyle choices? Do you think this sends a positive or a negative message to the younger generation, who may think that because beauty is subjective, it is okay to be overweight (or more specifically, healthy to be overweight)?

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Well of course fat people can be beautiful, everybody has different tastes in what they like and don't like. It's the same with anorexic people. Sure, they can be beautiful as well in the eyes of others but for me that's a turn off. Me personally, I don't find fat women attractive at all just like anorexic women but that's just my opinion and nothing more. Thick women (not fat), now that's a different story.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • Conversely,beautiful people can be ugly. There's inner beauty, and then there's outer beauty. They can be ugly on the inside while being attractive on the outside.

To answer the question, beauty is subjective.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    In light of what many have said (including myself), that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, here's another question.

Considering being overweight is unhealthy, are we encouraging those who are overweight to continue to make poor lifestyle choices? In essence, are we, by arguing that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, promoting poor lifestyle choices? Do you think this sends a positive or a negative message to the younger generation, who may think that because beauty is subjective, it is okay to be overweight (or more specifically, healthy to be overweight)?

Bear in mind that it's very common for these lifestyle choices to be dramatically influenced by their neighbourhood and their class; it is much easier to obtain unhealthy, fatty foods than healthier foods for that same price. At the end of the day, many people just need to eat or can't be bothered preparing a proper/balanced meal when not only are there much easier choices around them, but more bang for their buck. Particularly when they're poor as it is and have been working a full day just to survive.
    A lifestyle choice is a choice, but not one people necessarily want to make. Which is why this insistence some people have on chastising the overweight bothers me - of course there are those that are just plain lazy, particularly in a generation (supposedly) used to instant gratification and where gluttony is more common than not. Those people are the kind who need to be looking out for their health because they generally have the means to do so. But I'm hardly gonna be like 'you can't be pretty because thinking you're pretty at your weight is just wrong and having any sort of self-confidence if you're not skinny should not be encouraged.' By all means we have an obesity epidemic in most Western countries, but has naming & shaming done anything so far?

Years
  • Are we encouraging people to continue an unhealthy lifestyle by suggesting overweightedness can be beautiful? I guess, technically we are. However I think we need to be real, people aren't going to lose weight unless they choose to whether we find them pretty to look at or not.

Last edited:

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • In light of what many have said (including myself), that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, here's another question.

just because you fall in love with a fatty.... doesn't make you a person who supports someone else to be overweight BECAUSE doesn't it depend on what you do WITH the person?
    if you order them fast food every night... ok yes looks like you support it
    but what if you tell them every day to go to the gym.... you give them healthy snacks.... you go for a long walk together every day etc

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • Of course fat people can be beautiful. I know some pretty good-looking heavy people.

In some parts of the world, such as Polynesia, fat is considered beautiful. Different cultures have different beauty standards.

Killua

they can but as everyone said it doesnt mean they should stay overweight

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    I think if we're going to make the argument that fat acceptance encourages people to lead healthy lifestyles, we shouldn't so flagrantly ignore the opposite side of the coin. Consider the fact that literally the entire beauty industry is built upon showing and idealizing a body image that is obviously and unhealthily underweight. The fashion and beauty industry almost exclusively uses underweight models, and just about every model and celebrity (with only a few exceptions) still gets Photoshopped to appear even slimmer. Models have been getting smaller and smaller over time, and doctors have outright warned how unhealthy this is, plus we know that eating disorders are a huge problem in the industry. Yet we are constantly told that they are beautiful and the "ideal."

If we're going to talk about how this new idea of accepting fat people sends a negative message, then I can't imagine why we're ignoring the negative messages that we as a society have been absorbing for far longer. To be the morality police towards fat people while ignoring an entire industry that thrives off skinniness is frankly hypocritical. If we should demonize people who appear to be unhealthy, by that logic we should be looking down on skinny people as well. It's interesting that this doesn't get mentioned in these sorts of conversations.

To actually answer the question, I think there is a difference between acceptance and encouragement. I think we can very easily say "you can be beautiful at any weight" while simultaneously encouraging people to be healthy. I think those should be very distinct conversations, and we should be doing more about the latter, such as having more formal education in schools about food and health like Japan does. Additionally, if we stopped focusing so much on looks as a society, I don't think this would be such a problem.

Gluttony and lack of willpower aren't particularly attractive traits in my opinion, so no, a majority of fat people aren't beautiful, inside or out. That's just me though, everybody has their type. Beauty is a package deal which includes the physical form, I think people that say it's all about the inside are telling porkies.
    The assumption that fatness is caused exclusively by "gluttony and lack of willpower" is quite wrong. Harley Quinn already gave a number of reasons that obesity occurs, such as ability to obtain healthy foods due to where you live and how much money you have, not having the time to cook healthy meals (which disproportionately affects people of lower socioeconomic classes). Additionally, knowing how to prepare healthy foods takes some degree of knowledge and training not everyone can have or afford, and not all children are taught how to make healthy lifestyle choices (often because their parents don't have the tools or knowledge to do so).

Lastly, there are other factors that affect weight gain. This includes genetics (yep, you can be born more likely to be fat), stress (yep, stress does that, plus when you're stressed you often don't have time to exercise or prepare healthy meals), other health issues (such as thyroid problems) and medication. A lot of medications have weight gain as a side-effect, and in patients who have decreased mobility (like people with arthritis, who use wheelchairs, or are otherwise old), they can't exercise to get the weight off.

So that's 8 reasons people can be fat that are unrelated to "gluttony and lack of willpower." While you're right that this certainly can cause obesity, I hope in the future you'll think twice before assuming that's always the case. :)

Spoiler:

Shame is often discussed as a method of getting people to lose weight, but not only is it not very effective, but it doesn't get at the root of the problem. I 100% believe we need to better tackle the obesity epidemic, but I think the solution is education and making certain resources more available. In the meantime, we need to do away with our current standard of beauty, because A) as Nah said, it's something that changes over time, B) it's subjective as many have pointed out, and C) appearance shouldn't really be that important anyway. :)

~Psychic

Years
  • Of course they can. Fat shaming is a disgusting practice, and I'm tired of overweight people being shamed. Anyone can be beautiful. Body size shouldn't matter.

Whilst I don't agree with fat shaming either, I don't think a mindset of "body size doesn't matter" should exactly be encouraged due to the associated health issues. I don't think overweight people should be treated poorly, but I do think obesity is a problem that people need to be more aware of.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • I'll paraphrase something from the movie Super Size Me: you can berate a smoker because they're damaging their health, but it's not socially acceptable to berate a fat person for constantly shoving fattening food into their mouth. Fat shaming is unacceptable behavior in a civilized society, but we shouldn't sugarcoat anything either. Get it? Heh.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I think there's a difference between being nasty to overweight individuals, and refraining from encouraging unhealthy lifestyle habits by breaking the view that "it's okay to be fat."

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Anyone can be beautiful if they pop enough breath mints. The first step at becoming fabulous is by smelling fabulous. If you eat a lot of breath mints, you'll most likely become fat, but you'll also smell delightful! So technically fat people are the most gorgeous people on the face of the earth.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Everyone is beautiful in their own way. .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osama_bin_Laden
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pol_Pot
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-un

If killing millions of people is considered beautiful, I'm moving to Saturn.

And beauty is a word that is too hard to define. It depends on the person, no matter how fat he/she is. I wouldn't really want a fat girl though.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • -snip-

If killing millions of people is considered beautiful, I'm moving to Saturn.

That's not what I meant, at least not in the most literal sense you can make it. -______-; I was trying to refer this to people who don't think of themselves as beautiful. People who are different because they are disabled (for example). In the OP's case, that just because they are fat or skinny, doesn't make them any less beautiful than anyone else in the world. Of course those who are crazy sociopaths are NOT beautiful if they've killed a dozen people.

Nothing bothers me more than having people take what I say the wrong way just because I can't seem to phrase it to their liking.

Years
  • That's not what I meant, at least not in the most literal sense you can make it. -______-; I was trying to refer this to people who don't think of themselves as beautiful. People who are different because they are disabled (for example). In the OP's case, that just because they are fat or skinny, doesn't make them any less beautiful than anyone else in the world. Of course those who are crazy sociopaths are NOT beautiful if they've killed a dozen people.

Nothing bothers me more than having people take what I say the wrong way just because I can't seem to phrase it to their liking.

Well you did make a very broad statement. I would argue though that it doesn't matter simply because beauty is about perception. Nobody and no thing is inherently beautiful to everyone. Does that mean everyone has beauty in them? I don't think so because beauty is something we construct for ourselves in our heads.

Back