• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Have you ever resented Amphy?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ok so I get it. Amphy is the lighthouse Pokemon. Stops ships from sailing into Olivine City.

But there's no ships. Not a ship that can follow a path past those mysterious lines that block everyone in and stop you from moving.

So Amphy's job REALLY is to stop the swimmers from swimming into the mysterious barely visible lines. But the swimmers are capable. If I can navigate those lines with a Pokemon I think the swimmers can survive.

But still.

Amphy's sickness forced you to travel all the way to Cianwood City. You had to face trainers, avoid whirlpools, battle a scary man and save a Shuckle...

...all so Amphy could continue doing his job!

Given the above: Have you ever resented Amphy? Or did it bring you some sort of joy to actually help save it from certain fainting? Was it just a poor plot device to get you to Cianwood City?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I always thought it was a bit tedious, though, traveling to Cianwood didn't really let you come back empty handed in the long run. Although Shuckle is a bit useless in-game wise. Plus you get Fly. I do think they could have made the reason why Amphy does its job an actual reality in the games. Having ships go to and from Olivine City would have made it more believable.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I didn't know that people were so obsessed with that small part of the game o-o
Same here. I wasn't bothered at all with this quest.

Though maybe my thoughts are skewed because I grew up playing a lot of games that had ridiculous fetch quests that took far longer to do than the quest to save Amphy. The trip to Cianwood was made even better by getting Fly as a reward, since it meant that I didn't have to go back through the Whirl Islands to get back to Olivine.

I've never had a problem with Amphy. It was just a fun different way to get the player from one location to another. Besides, Amphy was just a poor sick fuzzy creature. That tugs a little more on the heartstrings.

Years
I never thought about it but either way I care about Pokemon.. so if a Pokemon is sick.. :( I just have to save it!
Yeah I know it's just a game, don't judge me...

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Ah-ha-ha! The lines/rocks blocking the way!:)
I like to think those don't actually exist but are just a some sort of boundary,
preventing us to venture into areas that aren't in the game, no matter if our
pok?-fellows can traverse the oceans. In fact, the S.S. ...Tidal?No, S.S.Acqua...uhm*searches* S.s. Aqua! Close enough:P!
Can sail from Olivine to Vermilion city, plus we get sailboats in the remakes.
So the rocks that limit the maritime paths most likely don't actually exist.
I still can't tell however if the ships in Pastoria city(Sinnoh) are there or not...(there's no docks...maybe those ships come from elsewhere and happened to be just temporarily anchored there?)
Existential topics aside, Amphy is suffering, so crossing the domain
of the tentacool wouldn't be a problem for me, and even looking at
the situation from the other side of the fourth wall, it's mandatory
to fulfill this quest in order to proceed.

Hope this post didn't sound too serious!{XD}
By the way,if there was a pok?-heraldry,ampharos could most likely
representguidance,warning and enlightment.

Years
Almost every Let's Play of the Johto games that I've seen on YouTube says no at first when Jasmine asks if the medicine will cure Amphy. It makes it hard for me to watch if I do say so myself :/

Years
Same here. I wasn't bothered at all with this quest.

Though maybe my thoughts are skewed because I grew up playing a lot of games that had ridiculous fetch quests that took far longer to do than the quest to save Amphy. The trip to Cianwood was made even better by getting Fly as a reward, since it meant that I didn't have to go back through the Whirl Islands to get back to Olivine.

I've never had a problem with Amphy. It was just a fun different way to get the player from one location to another. Besides, Amphy was just a poor sick fuzzy creature. That tugs a little more on the heartstrings.
Exactly! How can you ever be mad at poor little Amphy? And as far as being used to doing ridiculous quest, join the club. The Mother series has quite a few of those types of quests.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I always forget what to do at this time of the game T_T So I end up losing a lot of time and I remember the first time I was frustrated lol. But I can't say I analyzed his job and stuff, I just wanted to cure a poor little ampharos <3

Years
Nah, it's not like it's Amphy's fault for getting sick in the first place. I've never found it hard to get Amphy's medicine(even if it was, I wouldn't resented the Pokemon itself).

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I never resented Amphy. It wasn't Amphy's fault for getting sick, after all. If anything, I resented Jasmine. As a gym leader, I felt like she should have been capable of flying to Cianwood City to pick up medicine for Amphy while I stayed with her Pokemon. Or, if she was so important and it was so vital, someone should have been willing to fly directly from Cianwood City to Olivine with the medicine. Seriously, if you have a Pokemon with such an important job that it can't afford to get sick, you should have contingency plans to deal with potential emergencies. Expecting a kid to wander in and save the day for you is irresponsible.

Back