• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Releasing Pokémon

Years
  • How often do you release Pokémon? When do you find yourself using this feature?

I use it most often for challenge runs, or to release hatched Pokémon that I get too much of after breeding for a shiny... had my boxes fill up that way aha. Otherwise I don't tend to use it very much.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Only after breeding or Wonder Trading something bred en masse. Refused to release fallen Pokemon in the lone Nuzlocke attempt too. Stuck them in a separate box.

Years
    • Seen today
    Whenever I breed (which is rarely) for egg moves, like my Bruxish with Ice Fang in my Sun playthrough, I get a bunch of eggs to hatch (usually five), keep whichever got the best nature/IVs/Ability, then release the others.

As for caught Pokémon, it's very rare for me to release any.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Usually release anything that I know I'm never going to use, such as any non-shiny Pokémon with the worst possible natures

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i don't like to release tbh, you never know when you might need that pokemon for something lol. i only rly release egg hatches when i'm breeding for shinies and even then, i'd prefer to trade them out to people that might want to use them for breeding or battling on their own.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I only release Pokemon I completely catch by accident, to be honest? Since, once a Pokemon is released, it's gone forever. I rarely, if ever release something. If I have a dupe of a Pokemon, I can just throw it in Pokemon Home and trade it away.

Years
  • Never once released a Pokemon in a regular playthrough. I'm too attached to these guys and there's always more than enough PC box space.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I tend to do it when breeding for a shiny or something specific other than that I tend to keep everything I catch or at least Wonder Trade it.

Years
  • pretty much only breedjects these days. o.o it's rare that i decide to release a non-breedject pokemon, usually only if i plan on never using it or something?

Years
  • I don't ever release. I let them live in the box. I like to think they all hang out together in there lol.

Years
    • Seen today
    When I was about 5 years old I went on my older brother's Pokemon file and released his zapdos. It was holding mail, made me confused about "Why won't this go in the box" so I released it.

Around the same time I used my masterball on a ditto.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I'd really only ever release breedjects when I was trying to hatch a Shiny. If Wonder Trade was a thing in the game sometimes I'd do that instead.

Years
  • Until the Bank and Home, I never used to release ANYTHING. I also used to catch a ton of random stuff to use in Wonder Trade and keep those.

I reset my copy of X since I wanted to replay it and had a bit of existential angst about not transferring some Pokémon to Bank. I felt like I was Thanos Snapping them if I didn't "rescue" them.

Back