• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SHINY HUNTERS

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
not me per se but plenty of people do shiny hunting streams on twitch. some people even shiny hunt in gen 1...like it's possible you can trade a pokemon from gen 1 into 2 and it ends up shiny. i think it depends on it's DVs.

i wish i had more time to dedicate to shiny hunting esp in older games but rip. adulthood is like that. kicking younger me for getting too bored of it.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Can't even imagine how on earth would shiny hunting streamers stop their audience from falling asleep... Nah, it's so boring and time consuming I could likely beat the entire game twice before getting a single shiny. Unless there's a mechanic such as SOS battles boosting the chances I won't even consider bothering.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Yep! I actually prefer hunting pre-XY when the odds were 1/8192, since otherwise it feels like the Shinies are only half as special (excluding the 1/65536 SWSH Shinies, but my patience isn't THAT good).

Last edited:
Years
nah. XY and earlier is asking for a bit too much patience for me. =P

... although i've never tried shiny hunting w/horde encounters as far as XY goes so i suppose i can't comment much on that in particular.

Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I did shiny hunt awhile back with OR/AS with the fishing technique. Got myself a... get ready for it... shiny Feebas (lol). Made it a lot easier than Masuda in Sw/Sh, but besides that, I don't think I've done much at all.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
My first game was Yellow but it wasn't until Alpha Sapphire that I started shiny hunting.
The chaining and Masuda methods are what made it compelling for me, long and boring but simple.

I now have at least half a dozen shinies in AS, LG Eevee (working on Pikachu), a shiny Mudsdale I wasn't even hunting in Moon, and thus fr a shiny Torracat in Ultra Sun and working on Masuda Methoding a shiny Rowlet.
It was a bit annoying finding out that the Ultras nerfed the SOS by requiring the Adrenaline Orb because I really wanted to get started in early US but oh well. I think about where the adrenaline orb is accessible now, Imma look for it when I have my shiny Rowlett.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I don't think I could have the patience to shiny-hunt 😅 Am not a collector-player. Sounds like it would be even more tedious in earlier gens, too, but I bet some still do it for the challenge of it ;)

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
I don't think I could have the patience to shiny-hunt 😅 Am not a collector-player. Sounds like it would be even more tedious in earlier gens, too, but I bet some still do it for the challenge of it ;)

It's difficult for me to maintain patience after a while but once I get started, I'm determined.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I don't have much patience for these things. I'll just resort to the old tradition way of finding shinies: randomly running into one of them.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Aug 24, 2022
Does anyone still shiny hunt in earlier gens? 👀

I know shiny hunting in previous gens is kinda underrated but with the introduction to emulators and speed up, it takes less time to find a shiny pokemon and so I have shiny hunted gastlys in gen 3/4 (once in leaf green lavender tower, renegade platinum old chateu, Storm Silver sprout tower and finally in flora sky rom hack) My favourite shiny mon as you have guessed is Gastly❤️✌️

Years
Gosh, I did it aaall the time. Nowadays I'm too lazy to actively do it even in the recent games where it can be a little easier, but it's still a lot of fun and is a feature dear to my heart. It's where most of my post-game playtime goes. :') I think my shiny hunting was strongest in gens 4 and 6!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I used to shiny hunt via soft reset, breeding, chaining, the whole ensemble. My shiny hunting fever was strongest in gens 4 through 6. Now I'm too lazy since the odds/methods are better for me in the current games. I tried chaining in Pearl recently and I got maybe a chain of 15 before losing patience. I have no idea how I used to get chains over 100.

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
Years
yes! breeding for them in gen2 though. I think I'd die searching for full odds without Masuda or charms. I actually never got a wild shiny before gen6!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I solely shiny hunt in Gen 6. I started shiny hunting in gen 6 in 2016 and I'm not a fan of shiny hunting in any other generation.

I'm currently at the point where I've dex naved most of omega ruby and currently have the misfortune of dexnaving Axew and Timburr. Bagon is a lost cause. Hate dexnaving in tiny caves mostly due to it being next to impossible to get the Pokemon to pop up. Also hate that you can't click Search while hopping on the bike.

I'm also well over 5,000 encounters soft resetting in Glittering Cave shadow encounters.

Last edited:

Mario60866

Banned
Years
I have never found a single shiny when attempting to Shiny Hunt. However, I have found crazy cool shinys when not shiny hunting.

-Found a shiny Registeel AND got a shiny Beldum from Steven in Sapphire, possibly on the exact same day!
-I also have a shiny Gyarados which my best friend traded me on Platinum in fifth grade. (He probably caught this on HeartGold)
-i also have a Shiny Suicune on Platinum which I got from a Nintendo event.

Back