• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Vs. TemTem

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
I haven't played the latter so you could say I don't have a leg to stand on but.

I've seen TemTem gaining traction recently, for those of you who don't know:
TemTem is basically an Indie Pokemon MMO, and everyone and their mother is covering it right now. It seems like what Pokemon fans want after the Sw/Sh dumpster fire of 2019.

People are even saying that TemTem will kill Pokemon. A notion I think is honestly hilarious (serously, Pokemon is a multi billion dollar franchise, some random indie game isn't going to bring it down).

So, what are your thoughts on TemTem?

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Temtem let's you choose between he/him, she/her and they/them pronouns, which I think is already one step above Pokemon. But, will TemTem kill Pokemon? Of course not. Temtem may be heavily inspired by Pokemon, in fact, a somewhat known Pokemon fanartist's art was bought by the developers of this game (the Platypus Temtem). But, it's honestly far too soon to say if it will or won't.

I'm gonna play Temtem when it drops on the Switch, obviously, just to see how it differs or is similiar to Pokemon. But, if I'm being honest, there's been many franchises directly inspired by Pokemon in the past even before Temtem, like Yokai Watch and even Bakugan a few years ago that also got traction. This one isn't going to really be much different than those.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
*looks up a bunch of info regarding the topic*

wow thanks for adding something to the massive list entitled 'Stuff PageEmp needs to do in a few months once his studies are over'

but in reality? I heavily doubt this would kill of a successful franchise.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
I'd say it almost certainly won't kill pokemon. For one thing, it's a MMO which means you have to be internet connected at all times right? It does seem beautiful and pretty fun though.
I hope that it becomes successful enough that Game Freak feels the need to be more innovative with the pokemon franchise/ feel more pressure to deliver with each new title (something I guess Yo Kai Watch didn't manage to do)

Years
Does it really need to kill Pokémon? Let's take a look at Yo-Kai Watch. It was talked about as Pokémon killer at one point and imho made both Gen VII and VIII games a little bit better (a lot of useful features that Yo-Kai Watch had in 2013 made their way to both Alola and Galar) and now co-exist with each other. I think it will be same with TemTem, but TemTem might attract more people because how were Sword and Shield received. And TemTem seems to add a lot of fan-favourite features, so that's also a big plus.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
Years
I adore both Pokemon and Yo-Kai Watch and I am not against trying out TemTem, it looks fun in an Animal Crossing type of way. I certainly do not feel like it will kill off the Pokemon franchise. Just because a new flavour of Oreo comes out, does not make people stop eating the original Orea flavour.

Years
Just saw the trailer via Twitter and thought it looked cool, so I dug out the Steam link and it....honestly seems underwhelming. ): Not for Mac either, so will pass on trying unless people end up saying it's really good in the end. Looks a bit too much like Pokémon art/graphics-wise too, was hoping for something that isn't pointy-ified Pokémon graphics.

Link for those who want to see the videos and screenshots I was looking at.

Kazetori

Vaporeon Trainer
Years
I like the idea for it, but it looks a bit too childish to me. I'm also wayyyyy too far invested in Pokemon to have another monster catch game take over my life lol
Just hoping for an actual official Pokemon MMO sometime in the future!

Years
After watching a few videos and seeing things in motion, I'm definitely more interested than before. Didn't....see the $35 price tag though on top of not being available for Mac so idk. And the Switch port isn't available yet iirc.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I'll wait for the Switch port. By then they will have hopefully ironed out all the bugs and more irritating gameplay features...like a glitchy random encounter rate that lets you take 2 or 3 steps before throwing you into battle. I had enough of that with Chargestone Cave in Black, thank you very much. From what little I've read about TemTem, it seems more like a first step towards the Pokemon MMO experience that people want, rather than actually being that product as it is right now. Honestly I'd rather play Disc Creatures right now; I really hope that comes to Switch because it's far more nostalgic.

No matter how good it gets though, TemTem will never be a serious rival to Pokemon. It doesn't even seem to have the popularity that Yokai Watch (the more infamous "Pokemon Killer") used to have...but it might serve as a nice alternative for people who want something more, something that Game Freak will never provide because they don't need to in order to generate millions in sales, which is all they care about. As TemTem will be more reliant upon it's smaller audience rather than its brand name, there might (eventually) be a high quality game or even a franchise here...but it'll never come close to equalling Pokemon in terms of popularity.

But it doesn't have to for it to be a better - or just enjoyable - experience, so who cares? Pokemon doesn't have a monopoly on creature capture gameplay mechanics - a mechanic it stole from Dragon Quest V anyway, if you want to be REALLY picky about it - and the more games of this kind there are, the better!

I'm interested in seeing where it goes and how it changes and evolves over time, but I'm not super interested in it...especially not with that price tag. The quality has a long way to go to match the asking price.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
I've played a bit of TemTem and I like it so far: the more advanced character customization (there can be more but it is still early access), trainer and wild battles are 2v2 (it takes me back to Colosseum and XD) but sometimes the wild battles are 2v1, TemTem follows you, the catching animation is really cool, and I feel graphically it's a huge step up from Pokémon. However I do have some issues with it; the biggest one is definitely the server because I've played the game for 2 hours but the majority of my time was spent waiting for a battle to load for example as well as various reconnects.

Is it better than Pokémon? I feel it's too early to make a verdict, especially since I've played Pokémon far longer than TemTem. I do want to play more TemTem but I think I'll wait until the major issue is finally fixed.

Years
haven't played it, but it really looks like something i want to play, the only thing that i can say about it is that i know it has SERVER ISSUES because like you said, everyone and their mother is trying to play it

DarkestAria

Covet the Skwovet
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
I wanted to play TemTem when I saw some Youtube videos covering it. But a lot of the Steam reviews said that the combat was a lot more difficult than Pokemon games. As someone who already struggles with Pokemon games to begin with, I decided it probably wasn't a good idea to invest in a game that I wouldn't be able to explore completely.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jul 9, 2022
Only Nintendo can kill successful franchises like how the Fallout devs tarnished their legacy in a weeks time....

Both are PR nightmares, but Pokemon still sold well, FO did not. I don't think Tem Tem will kill it. If anything, it may make the Pokemon team work a bit harder because they are not the only fish in the sea. Digimon was never really like Pokemon; especially to the extent of Tem Tem.

UlrickVGCMasters

UlrickVGCMasters
Years
I haven't played the latter so you could say I don't have a leg to stand on but.

I've seen TemTem gaining traction recently, for those of you who don't know:
TemTem is basically an Indie Pokemon MMO, and everyone and their mother is covering it right now. It seems like what Pokemon fans want after the Sw/Sh dumpster fire of 2019.

People are even saying that TemTem will kill Pokemon. A notion I think is honestly hilarious (serously, Pokemon is a multi billion dollar franchise, some random indie game isn't going to bring it down).

So, what are your thoughts on TemTem?

I definitely want to play it and see what its like, but POKEMON has too strong of a loyal customer base to ever be killed by any other game similar to it. Maybe in the next 500 years even the roman empire fell at one point but not after centuries. Pokemon is just getting started, this franchise is not going anywhere any time soon.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
I doubt this will topple Pokémon by any means but it has peaked my interest. Unfortunately for me last I checked it wasn't compatible with the Mac OS, which isn't unusual for indie games on first release, so I'm actually kinda hoping it gets popular enough that they release a Mac compatible version in the future. In the mean time I'll be spending my money on other Pokémon games instead since I already have a Switch.

Years
haven't played it yet. i've very briefly watched some gameplay videos from other people who have, so i'll largely reserve my judgment, but my issues are the following:

• the breeding system seems unnecessarily complicated
    to breed perfect SV TemTem, you need something called DNA strands, and each strand corresponds to a specific stat. personally, i don't see a reason for this because i prefer pokemon's straightforward approach of "have this hold a destiny knot and it'll pass whatever perfect IVs it has". not to mention that, if i'm correct, the DNA strands themselves are rather expensive, which makes them difficult to get a hold of if you want a breed a perfect SV TemTem team. granted, i don't think TemTem's breeding system is designed for early game use, but it's still one of my bigger concerns as someone who cares more about the competitive side of things.

• it doesn't offer anything substantially different from pokemon
    i feel that this is going to get me a lot of flack from people who like TemTem, but in my perspective, it's true. (´-ω-`) TemTem intentionally follows the same exact formula that pokemon does: 8 gyms (they aren't called gyms but whatever), choosing your starter pokemon, renamed types that are pretty much similar to pokemon, shinies (except they're called Lumas), and iirc TemTem has their own EV system too, so... idk.

i'm also stricter on TemTem because i've played another monster catcher game that offers enough variety and is different in its own way: World of Final Fantasy:

all of my friends know that i love this game and i don't plug this for no reason. WoFF is basically "what if pokemon merged with final fantasy" and it really shows, except there's more than enough unique mechanics to keep the gameplay rather interesting. my biggest issue with TemTem is that it feels like a copypaste with some improvements rather than trying to offer a unique experience to an underexplored genre, if that makes sense. pretty sure Ni No Kuni did this as well (though i haven't played it) feel free to correct me if im wrong here, though!

• it's very expensive for an early access game
    i'm going to get straight to the point here: $35 is a lot (for me, anyway) to ask for an early access title. but see, that's the thing: people pledge their support to see the vision of the developers flourish and come to fruition, and the cost of that is that things might not work out the way people expect. perhaps my fear is that my $35 would end up on fire because i keep being worried that things won't work out as they should and the game might be cancelled or whatever. if it was a bit cheaper, i'd feel safer about taking that risk, but it's a bit much for me, i think.

don't get me wrong, though! it's honestly a cute idea and i like the designs of a lot of the Tems. if there's a big criticism i have of pokemon these days, it's that, for some reason or another, Game Freak focuses way too much on bipdel 'mons and not nearly enough on more animal-looking pokemon which TemTem does rather well, i think. and from what i hear, the difficulty/challenge is very much present in TemTem, which i think is an improvement over pokemon games. although to be fair, Game Freak seems to be forced to cater to kids in this regard, so i'm not sure if it's a 100% apples to apples comparison here with indie devs being free to target an entirely different demographic, here.

Years
Not played it yet will wait for the switch release, as for killing Pokemon? can't see that happening any time in the near future but it could be competition and any competition is good to give Pokemon a kick up the ass to improve

Back