• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest Boss Fight?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
What's the most difficult boss you've fought in a video game?

Also, are there any that were so difficult you gave up trying?

I couldn't beat "the end" in Metal Gear 3. Lots of the fight revolved around sniping, which I'm not good at.

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Sans from undertale. The last boss from Touhou 1, and the first boss from Touhou 2. Needless to say, I'm not great at bullet hells.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
In the remaster of the first Gears Of War, the Brumak fight where you are solo was tough as hell for me. But I got it done for those sweet achievement points.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I'm not sure if it was the hardest but one of the most tedious bosses I fought was the optional/superboss Minerva from FFVII: Crisis Core. Sans is probably up there in terms of difficulty - I actually never beat him myself, should give it another shot. :P

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
off the top of my head one of the hardest boss fights I never beat was the "Mysterious Figure" from Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. Tried it a couple of times and was like lol nope

Did manage to beat Vantias's Lingering Spirit/Vantias Remnant though. Not that I'm really down for doing that one again anytime soon, it's basically Cartwheel Simulator.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
ooo. Let's see here...
Orphan - Bloodborne (well honestly just about every one of the DLC's bosses with the exception of The Living Failures can be placed in the category of ridiculously hard)
Just about every single boss in I Wanna Be the Boshy
Lingering Will - Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix

I'll probably think of some more later, but that's what immediately comes to mind.

Years
I had a pretty hard time against Sephiroth in the first Kingdom Hearts game. Sephiroth in KH2 was a bit easier imo because of the flow of combat is smoother, but he's still pretty hard.

I also had the WORST time against Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls. It took me so many tries and I had to do it solo because I couldn't find anybody to summon :'(

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Alot of the bosses from the Final Fantasy games were hard and I have never beat a Final Fantasy game.

Yukari

I also had the WORST time against Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls. It took me so many tries and I had to do it solo because I couldn't find anybody to summon :'(

Why is it that people have so much trouble with O&S? I really don't get it. I managed to take out Ornstein without even taking damage or running out of stamina.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Liquid Snake in the Metal Gear REX took me so many damn tries. Not to mention after that there's a hand-to-hand fight and a freakin' car chase both of which are not easy either.

Last edited:

string555

Banned
Years
I still have never beat Sephiroth in the first Kingdom Hearts. He wasn't so horrible in the second, managed to beat him there. Even after reading guides on it, I never really got anywhere with him in KH, so I didn't try again.

It would be a nice accomplishment if I decide to go back to it though, since it gave me so much headache before. >:3

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
One of the most difficult that I've personally encountered recently was the Aurorean Tiger in I am Setsuna. It looks absolutely brilliant - visually it could honestly pass as a final boss, and I loved its presentation. The battle itself, of course, was fittingly as difficult as a final boss; I had significantly more trouble with it and its late-game clone, White-Fanged Beast, than I did with anything else in the main story, including the actual final boss. It was so hard that I had to go back and grind between multiple attempts - and I loved it. It's been a while since anything gave me that kind of challenge in such a simple, straightforward battle, and it's a key part of why the game got me more into turn-based JRPGs.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I had a couple bosses that cause quite a problem. Many of them I found cheap ways long after beating them the hard way. Most notable ones I can remember:

The fake Feral Chaos in Dissidia Duodecim. Only being decent with one character, an opponent with three times the amount of HP as your character can have and a lack of skill in Fighting games made this one very long ordeal. I beat him at some point, but needless to say: I never got close to the real Feral Chaos.

Dullahan in Golden Sun TLA. That was before I knew that you could just summon spam him to death. In general I usually play the games without summons so it never really came to my mind abusing that mechanic, so yeah, the fight ended up being somewhat hard and took a couple tries, even with relatively high leveled characters.

Pluto in Tales of Phantasia (GBA): literally the easiest version of him, as you can just spam Demon Fang which not only always hits him, but also prevents him from doing any attack due to stun lock. Didn't know that back then, therefore you can imagine that I got wiped out a couple times. Ultimately I had to resort to coming up with a strategy that forced me to continually switch between characters in order to string their attacks together in such a way that Pluto never got the chance to cast one of his devastating spells. It worked, but just one screwup basically meant losing the fight.

Looking back: having to come up with your own weird strategies for fighting hard bosses because you don't have access to the information the internet provides can be a long-winded and tedious task, but man it certainly is something special if you manage to get it to work.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
Sanae Hanekoma from The World Ends With You on the Nintendo DS. The first time I defeated him was on Easy and even that took effort. Defeating him on ultimate would take a miracle.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I remember really hating taking on Alatreon in MH3U in the single player quests. It took a fair few tries to overcome it and I never wanted to fight it again after it. It was less hard in terms of strength than hard due to time limits and it flying away all the dang time. Also bad hotboxes. :(

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
I remember Castle Crasher's final boss was pretty hard, and it kept having new phases we didn't expect. Probably not the hardest boss I've fought however, just very memorable for the like, 9 phases and the fake celebration mid-way throught that then spawns...another phase!

TY

Terraria Calamity's Supreme Calamitas easily makes me want to punch walls considering how often I died to her. The bullet hell phase already destroyed my sanity.

Also every encounter with the Emperor as the Harkonnen in Dune 2000 in the final mission (2 ways it can be played). CAN WE JUST STOP WITH ENDLESS STREAMS OF UNITS COMING STRAIGHT FOR MY BASE

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
I'm getting flashbacks of trying to beat all the bosses of the main game in Metal Gear Rising: revengence on hard difficulty without taking a single hit...All for some shiny silver trophies. I vividly remember spending one weekend trying to clear the Monsoon fight under these conditions, and I'm glad I eventually got there in the end. Final boss was challenging too, especially consider it had multiple phases to it and if I took a hit, I would've had to start from the beginning again.

Terramorphous the Invincible raid boss from Borderlands 2 and Hino-Enma from Nioh are a few examples of more recent bosses that I found quite challenging to clear solo.

Back