• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playing the older games

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    How hard is it for you to play the older games after playing the newer or more recent games?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Not hard at all. I love the older games. They have more replay value than the newer stuff, so it's not that hard for me to want to play those over the newer generations.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I think my only issue is forgetting how very little space you had to carry items and how you shouldn't really spend your money all willy nilly.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It's never really been much of an issue for me to go back to the older games, and not just Pokémon either

Years
  • I don't think I can ever play RB ever again. Those two aged like a milk and have better versions in Fire Red and Leaf Green. But otherwise, I have no problem with going to older games, since the Pokémon formula is basically same in all the games and starting GSC, it was perfected and never changed since then.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Good, i enjoyed Gen 1's ugly sprites and Gen 2's pseudo NES graphics over Gen 3's SNES graphics and Gen4's N64 mixed with SNES graphics. Never played gen 5-8 games, but i have seen my workplace friend play an gen 7 game

Last edited:
    Years
    • Online now
    Pokemon is always Pokemon at it's heart, even if some of the mechanics have been dated.

It's like Dragon Quest and has always stayed true to it's formula. I can easily go back to the old Pokemon games.

Diamond/Pearl are so slow, it's my only exception.

Years
  • i don't like playing the older games, anymore. call me spoiled, but i think the Switch has changed my perspective... a lot.

i commend people who are able to play older games and continue doing so, but the (3)DS feels like archaic hardware these days... after playing so much of swsh, it's hard to focus on playing any older titles without feeling extremely bored. doesn't help that its tiny screen doesn't really help matters i don't think. i just get bored of playing older games easily. i was intending on keeping up with an old b2w2 run i started months ago, but i can't bring myself to even do that. ._.

JackQ

Test Subject
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I did play through Pokemon Red again recently and enjoyed it a lot. I really do like the old art style for the Pokemon. The overworld graphics and maps do look a bit dated admittedly, but even they have their own distinct charms.

Still, there were some annoyances like the item carry limit, the lack of experience bars and the lack of a special split that did occasionally make me wish I was playing the remakes instead. I've just started playing Pokemon Gold now and am amazed how many new features the second generation alone brought to the games. Even so, there'll always be something special about the original games.

Years
  • I honestly prefer the older games and usually go back and play through most of them every year whenever I have time! For some reason they never lose their replay value for me and I enjoy going back everytime. Don't get me wrong, I love the new Pokemon games as well, but I don't think I'll ever lose my nostalgia and love for the older games.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    More accessible than the newer ones. Don't get me wrong, I was blown away by X/Y after not having played since Emerald. That being said, I'm really hooked now
    on Platinum and Black 2 and I love those just as much. I got no issue replaying RBY either.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I may even try going back and playing the older ones because I've been having issues playing the DL of Shield and Sword.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I tend to feel nostalgic at times. I play HeartGold and Crystal here and there — also the Gen 3 games whenever I can! I can never say no to them~~

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I think I played Gen 3 more times than what it's worth, specially Emerald and FR. As unplayable as I find the latter, I still enjoy playin FR remake hacks as well.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I love the nostalgic simplicity of the old RBY games. How broken it is, all the fun glitches, and the pure and honest fun of it. While I do tend to tire of them quickly, usually around the time I reach Sabrina, it's still such a treat to visit again. I think it's the lack of complexity that turns me off about halfway through, but those first few hours always leaves a smile on my face. Especially in GSC, where the mechanics became more in-depth and the Pokemon more varied. Even though I've played it a hundred times it always feels like a new experience because I haven't memorized every berry bush or NPC location.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • The older games are actually some of the games I like the best! I love pokemon Crystal, and Emerald is possibly my favorite game of all time if you consider gba games to be old. I love Emerald for bringing us the battle frontier, and hope it comes back in the Sinnoh remakes. Also as much as I love Oras, especially the Delta episode, I think the main story for Emerald is even stronger because both teams are your enemies.

Even though I enjoyed playing HGSS, I'm one of those people who prefer exploring the simpler more intimate gen Johto of gen 2 to the remake. I like having pokemon follow you in HGSS and the more developed post game, but If I had to choose I go with Crystal because of Kris, the gs ball, the odd egg and I think a more interesting climax when you finally obtain Suicuine.

I don't mind the gen 1 games either. By Yellow I think the front spites are mostly appealing. Also it's cool to have those anime references like battling Jesse and James, and getting your own Pikachu to follow you and inreract with. The glitches are also a joy to explore! And the music in the old Kanto just has a little more edge to me for being so spartan. For those reasons I prefer even Yellow to frlg.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • it isn't hard. i find that i enjoy them in different ways than newer games. i have to plan more and get strategic with TM/HM usage and which party members i want to use. newer games, i can play around with things more easily because of the updated exp share and reusable TMs. they're all fun and enjoyable. it's not a problem for me to backtrack and play older games. graphics and music being more primitive never bothered me, either. in fact, i find it more distinctive. can't mistake gen 2 and 3, but 6 and 7 feel a little more blurred.

Years
  • I find that it's been incredibly difficult to play the latest games over the older games myself. Specifically starting around X and Y I just haven't been able to keep a healthy interest in the new releases. The older games got a healthy fanaticism from me and I revisit them yearly at this point with different types of playthroughs, attempts at speedruns, challenge runs, and the like. The Rom Hack board has also continually revived the older generations for me as well.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I love gen 6 so much I haven't stopped playing it. Tried gen 7 and didn't like it, doubt I'll buy gen 8. Might get gen 9 if its not like gen 8.

Back