• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Types you think deserve more attacks?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • And why is it Steel? I know it's not exactly great for covering types, but literally besides Flash cannon most of them are inaccurate, have miniscule distribution or miniscule distribution outside of move tutors, or go off the wrong attacking stat, and so on. And I do think it would be nice coverage on say, more things, just to have easier ways to take out Fairies.

So what do you guys think? And why do I have feeling everyone's gonna say Bug?

Years
    • Seen today
    Electric type deserves a better physical move, at least for physical Pokémon like Luxray and Zebstrika, which can't even learn Thunder Punch.

Fighting type deserves more Special attack options besides Focus Miss for Fighting types that are viable as special attackers such as Infernape and Toxicroak, because Aura Sphere's compatibility sucks for Fighting types.

Ghost type could also use some physical move in between Shadow Claw and Poltergeist.

I don't think Bug needs more attacks, Bug Buzz and 80 BP Leech Life are powerful, accurate, and have wide learning compatibility, on both the special and physical sides. I would, however, give X-Scissor an enhanced critical rate, because it has been rendered pointless with the Leech Life upgrade.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Fire and Electric physical moves. Asks for about 75 power (equal to elemental punches). Forces some, like Luxray, to choose between Spark and Wild Charge currently.

Fairy physical moves. Consists of one non-signature move: Play Rough.

Dark special moves. Selects either Snarl or Dark Pulse.

Normal special moves. Might be alone on this one. Speaks less on power variety here. Bases most of them on sound (Boomburst, Round, Hyper Voice, Echoed Voice, Snore, Uproar). Leaves Swift, Tri Attack, and Hyper Beam. Leaves little room for design diversity.

Fighting special moves. Must be careful not to give them to lots of Psychic-types, though. Covers their Dark weakness too well.

Psychic physical moves. Ought to have some lower power ones in there. Starts out at Heart Stamp's 60 power.

Rock special moves. Wants a few weaker ones (and something mid-tier besides Ancient Power).

Steel. Should get a low level Steel move besides Metal Claw. Sees only two Steel special moves. Definitely needs more of those.

Ghost special moves. Draws from Hex, Shadow Ball, and Ominous Wind right now. Faces the problem of little variety, particularly early in a Ghost Pokemon's existence.

Water physical move. Loaded up the higher ends. Could use a Bubble-equivalent for physical.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Electric-type could use more physical moves things are rather low (Nuzzle), High risk (Wild Charge, Volt Tackle), we do have sparks but I want to see more and not counting thunder punch Electric type could use bit more flair outside of the sp.atk spectrum.

Dark-type need more special moves though we kinda have like the 2 and night daze (Zoroak, exlusive) and could bit more

Years
    • Seen today
    I thought of Steel before opening. Yet maybe it's a balancing thing. Steel is already the most dominant typing defensively, so lack of moveset options might be for the better.

Going to add that Fighting Types need more moves that are not fighting. It feels like whenever I use a fighting type, I don't end up with much movepool diversity.

Opposite for Normal Types. Usually end up with a bunch of wacky moves and no actual normal type moves.

Years
  • Rock is the type with the least amount of moves.
    And most of it's attacking moves are inaccurate.
    It only has 3 Special attacking moves, and one of those is a two turn move.

So some additional Special Attacking Rock type moves, as well as just a couple more 100% accurate ones would be appreciated.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I don't think Bug needs more attacks, Bug Buzz and 80 BP Leech Life are powerful, accurate, and have wide learning compatibility, on both the special and physical sides. I would, however, give X-Scissor an enhanced critical rate, because it has been rendered pointless with the Leech Life upgrade.

Literally always through X-Scissor had an increased critical hit rate! Guess Aaron's Drapion was just lucky the roughly 1000 times I've fought it in DPPt. I'd drop Leech Life down to 75 to give it parity with other HP-draining moves like Drain Punch and Giga Drain.

Personally I think Electric should have a priority move. It makes a lot more sense than Rock having one (although Accelerock is a great move name), given electricity is notoriously fast. Make it the usual 40 BP but special (sorry Luxray!) given there is only Vacuum Wave. Wild Charge shouldn't have recoil - they can't make it 120 BP because then it would make Volt Tackle less special, so why not turn it into an Electric variation of Waterfall? 80 Power and a flinch chance (literally what people do when receiving an electric shock).

Dark-type version of Revenge would make sense too.

Years
  • Rock! The move list isn't too big and could use a few more accurate moves in general.

Also fairy's lack of physical moves. Play Rough is great, but it shouldn't be the only one. An idea that comes to mind is Pixie Prank, a 70 base power fairy move that has a 10% chance to cause confusion. Cute name and fitting for the mischievious entities fairies tend to be!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Electric, Water, and Fairy-types could definitely use more physical moves. Electric Pokémon such as Electivire and Luxray could use some strong physical attacking Electric-type moves to make them better Pokémon in general. Fighting, Rock, and Dark could use more special moves. Aura Sphere is the only accurate competitive special Fighting-type move worth using and Focus Blast is too well-known for missing. Z-Moves and Dynamax saved Focus Blast, but without those gimmicks, Focus Blast would always be a gamble. While the special Rock-type move Power Gem is great, it seems to be exclusive only to Pokémon that are related to gems in some way. Rock needs more moves in general and with improved accuracy. Stone Edge is great, but its 80% accuracy and only 8 PP when maxed make the move too risky to use. Dark Pulse is, much like Aura Sphere, the only highly damaging special Dark-type move in the game if I'm not mistaken.

Years
    • Seen today
    Wild Charge shouldn't have recoil - they can't make it 120 BP because then it would make Volt Tackle less special, so why not turn it into an Electric variation of Waterfall? 80 Power and a flinch chance (literally what people do when receiving an electric shock).

Another option would be: keep the recoil and current BP, but raise user's Speed upon using it as in Flame Charge.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Another option would be: keep the recoil and current BP, but raise user's Speed upon using it as in Flame Charge.

Drop it to at most 75 power otherwise it would be too OP. A speed boost is a killer as is, best at least make it hard for it to be an OHKO as well

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Lower the base power a little before giving a speed boost and flame charge base power is relatively small than wild charge, don't want it to make so strong and there are lots of eletric-type with high attack and luxray could abuse this

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Another option would be: keep the recoil and current BP, but raise user's Speed upon using it as in Flame Charge.

That speed boost portion would be way too OP. Imagine a Pokémon like Regieleki, one that's already broken because of his speed, doing that move. He would be way more broken than he already is. Besides, many Electric Pokémon are already very fast anyway. If I'm not mistaken, Electric-type Pokémon are the fastest type in the whole game. Giving them access to a powerful physical move that boosts their speed would just break the game. Even worse is that many non-Electric Pokémon can learn it too. If anything, the only thing that really needs to change about Wild Change is a complete lack of recoil. I see no harm in that. It could then serve as a basic strong primary go-to physical Electric-type move, as in the physical version of Thunderbolt.

Years
    • Seen today
    ^ Regieleki can already do more broken things than raising its Speed, which wouldn't be really that awesome for something that literally outspeeds everything by a large margin, and is immune to Paralysis.

But yeah, I agree for some other Pokémon it would be too much. A power or Accuracy drop would be needed to keep it more reasonable.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Air Slash and Hurricane are so far the only widely distributed Special Flying-type moves, but Air Slash has a chance to miss and Hurricane is only useful in rain. Flying doesn't have it as bad as other types, but I still feel it could use some help in the Special department (idk, maybe change Razor Wind into a Flying move and remove the charge turn?).

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • More Physical Psychic type, Electric type moves.

Maybe some more powerful moves for the Bug type that aren't X-Scissor would be amazing.

Maybe some more Pokemon moves in general that do dual type damage like Flying Press. I don't like how this was only on one or a few moves. We need more concepts like this to be done again.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Rock has a pathetic number - 24 and even less if you remove ones that are specific to one pokemon. But really all types need some more- many are super-limited in which pokemon can have them in their move pools.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 9, 2023
    While Ice-types in general have it rough, physically-oriented Ice-types have it even worse because they have few good STAB options.

The best physical Ice-type move is Icicle Crash, which has a chance to miss. Ice Punch is accurate, but it's not the strongest option and relatively few Ice-types learn it anyway. Avalanche can be strong, but it depends on your Pokémon taking damage first in order for its power-up perk to work. Everything else is either weak, inaccurate, a signature move, or some combination of the above.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • While Ice-types in general have it rough, physically-oriented Ice-types have it even worse because they have few good STAB options.

The best physical Ice-type move is Icicle Crash, which has a chance to miss. Ice Punch is accurate, but it's not the strongest option and relatively few Ice-types learn it anyway. Avalanche can be strong, but it depends on your Pokémon taking damage first in order for its power-up perk to work. Everything else is either weak, inaccurate, a signature move, or some combination of the above.

When you think about it, most physical moves aren't that powerful anyways, at least when compared to special moves. This is probably because many ways exist to boost physical attack compared to special attack. Introducing a bunch of extremely powerful physical attacks, along with several moves such as Work Up, Bulk Up, Meditate, Swords Dance, and so on could make physical attackers broken. I believe typical "strong" physical attacks typically having 90 base power actually balances this out. Besides, Triple Axel is a better option than Icicle Crash anyway.

Back