• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Controversial pokemon opinions

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • So here we go. Ever had an opinion you had for this franchise, that you thought was too offensive to share in normal threads, then here you go! If you think your post would be too disturbing, feel free to put them in spoilers.

As for mine, I'm very sure many would find this post to be very mature. Viewer discretion is adviced.

Spoiler:

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I got one: Gen 3 was the worst game in the franchise.

Years
  • hmmm let's see

• I didn't care much for Dawn as a character
    • The Sinnoh games were very fun but had the worst region/character/new Pokémon designs
    • I liked Let's Go and wouldn't mind seeing more games in that style
    • Hop is one of my favorite characters in the series

All that comes to mind atm, but there are definitely more.

Your point on the gen 5 Adventures ferris wheel scene does seem concerning. though... :x I'll have to read that chapter to get my own understanding of it. oof

pkmin3033

Ahahaha, here we go! Although for the record, I've never cared about offending people with my opinions. xD

- Generation IV was the last good generation. Sorry, but there it is. The core series started its decline with Black/White, and has only gotten worse with each generation...although a non-controversial opinion I share is that Gen VI had the best online features.
    - Black/White do NOT have a better storyline. It's exactly the same narrative as Generation III, only with the events swapped around so that the villain takes the Legendary after you beat the Elite Four, rather than in the middle of the story. The characters are bland and one-dimensional due to their lack of significant time on-screen - you cannot have character development when characters barely ever appear - and juggling the order of events around does NOT constitute meaningful change. It's an evil team that wants to use a Legendary Pokemon to take over the world, and that is all it is.
    - The EXP. Share mechanic changing in Gen VI didn't make Pokemon games any easier. Time consuming is not difficult.
    - Mega Evolution is the same as Z-Moves and Dynamax/Gigantamax - a cheap gimmick introduced in place of a proper new gameplay mechanic. It isn't somehow any better for being the first rubbish gimmick that we had.
    - The "too much water" complaint about Hoenn is perfectly valid (albeit badly explained and phrased, and coming from the least credible source possible) and is one of the main reasons Hoenn is the most badly designed region in the franchise to date.
    - HMs really weren't all that bad and the games have suffered significantly with their departure, because the puzzle elements have been all but stripped out. All they needed was a re-design to be more like TMs, or the Pokemon Ride feature from the Gen VII titles.
    - Asides from Buzzwole and Pheromosa, which are fighting types and therefore deserve to be squashed, the Ultra Beasts were a really cool concept that was executed perfectly from a design standpoint, and should have been expanded upon significantly more than they were.
    - Vaporeon is not cute.
    - Gen III's soundfont is bad.
    - Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee are the only serviceable Pokemon games that we've had since Gen IV, being let down solely by their terrible control scheme, and we should have more games like them.

I probably have more, everyone disagrees with me about everything. Watch this space.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't think I have many controversial opinions, but the ones I do seem to have are:

- I found B/W to be some of the dullest games to date. The stories felt super boring to me and the region felt incredibly linear.
    - I really liked Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee and if the BDSP announcements turned out to be Lets Go Pichu/Togepi I probably would've been equally as happy, if not more.
    - I'm not exhausted with Kanto. A lot of people seem to complain that GF continue to return to Kanto, but I think the issue is more that they come back to Gen 1 and not Kanto in general. I'd love to see Fr/Lg remake with fleshed out sevii isles.

- Generation IV was the last good generation. Sorry, but there it is. The core series started its decline with Black/White, and has only gotten worse with each generation...although a non-controversial opinion I share is that Gen VI had the best online features.
    - Black/White do NOT have a better storyline. It's exactly the same narrative as Generation III, only with the events swapped around so that the villain takes the Legendary after you beat the Elite Four, rather than in the middle of the story. The characters are bland and one-dimensional due to their lack of significant time on-screen - you cannot have character development when characters barely ever appear - and juggling the order of events around does NOT constitute meaningful change. It's an evil team that wants to use a Legendary Pokemon to take over the world, and that is all it is.
    - The EXP. Share mechanic changing in Gen VI didn't make Pokemon games any easier. Time consuming is not difficult.
    - Mega Evolution is the same as Z-Moves and Dynamax/Gigantamax - a cheap gimmick introduced in place of a proper new gameplay mechanic. It isn't somehow any better for being the first rubbish gimmick that we had.
    - The "too much water" complaint about Hoenn is perfectly valid (albeit badly explained and phrased, and coming from the least credible source possible) and is one of the main reasons Hoenn is the most badly designed region in the franchise to date.
    - HMs really weren't all that bad and the games have suffered significantly with their departure, because the puzzle elements have been all but stripped out. All they needed was a re-design to be more like TMs, or the Pokemon Ride feature from the Gen VII titles.
    - Asides from Buzzwole and Pheromosa, which are fighting types and therefore deserve to be squashed, the Ultra Beasts were a really cool concept that was executed perfectly from a design standpoint, and should have been expanded upon significantly more than they were.
    - Vaporeon is not cute.
    - Gen III's soundfont is bad.
    - Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee are the only serviceable Pokemon games that we've had since Gen IV, being let down solely by their terrible control scheme, and we should have more games like them.

I think you win this thread because I disagree with almost everything you said haha.

Years
    • Seen today
    Incineroar is my favourite Gen 7 starter, and my favourite Fire starter.

Mr. Mime, Hitmontop, Miltank, Shedinja, Sableye, Gorebyss, Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Froslass, Sigilyph, Vanilluxe, and Aromatisse are cute.

Jynx, Rhyperior, Magmortar, and Seismitoad are great Pokemon.

Umbreon is overrated.

Snom isn't that cute.

Pokemon needs a new anime, with a smarter protagonist and competent villains. Stop milking out Ash Ketchum and Jessie & James.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Online now
    I think Ultra Sun/Moon are terrific games and upgrades of the original Sun/Moon. It's hypocritical to praise Crystal or Emerald and bash Ultra Sun/Moon for being too much the same. They changed the entire second half of the story, and gave a significant challenge (Totem Pokemon using actual strategies, the Ultra Necrozma fight). I thought Gen 7 was nice, and I was happy seeing them try something different. I would have much rather have another Gen 7 than a formulaic game such as Gen 8.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jun 4, 2021
    I have no idea what is an unpopular opinion for Pokemon just dumb ones.

-Kanto is still good.
    -Just make good rivals they don't just have to be a friend or a complete jerk.
    -I really want GameFreak to stop inserting things like Mega Evolutions, Gigantamaxing, and Z moves. Just stick with one or none.
    -My only problem with Gen 7 other than the third evolution for Litten is how hand holdy the game is
    -Pokemon like Snom aren't cute, but Trubbish is.
    - Just because a Pokemon is ugly doesn't mean it isn't cool
    - A new anime without Ash would be cool. Like I love Ash and all, but a new face would be cool. Something cool like Origins.
    -Give a different Pokemon the main Spotlight other than Pikachu for the anime.
    -Stop having Pikachu say its name in the video games.

I was gonna say something like Hau>Hop but I don't know enough about the two. Also do people still hate Charizard? I love Charizard. I was also gonna say something more about the rivals like how they don't feel like rivals or saying we are the rival feels kinda like an excuse or lame. I forgot that I rarely think about the rival when I play a game so never mind. Last one I guess I really don't care about the story in the games if there was a game where their is no evil team, maybe no rival, and no roadblock just go off beat the elite 4 and have a good time with your Pokemon I would love it

Lady Bisharp

Blue noodle enthusiast
    Years
    • She / They
    • Spain
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    - Johto isn't that great. The Japanese aesthetic is lovely and the places look nice, but it's super small and the plot with Team Rocket felt too inconclusive... I have similar feelings about Kanto too, but I can forgive that one better because it was the first game.
    - The games are better with a good story and characters, even if the plot isn't about any evil team trying to take over the world. I'm aware that many people don't play Pokémon for the story and that's fine, but having only the gym and league challenge makes the world boring, empty and repetitive (I'm looking at you, gen VIII). Pokémon has the potential to do so much better than that.
    - I liked that Hoenn had a lot of water. I know it's annoying, but there's a lot of places to explore and find things, which is something I'm missing in the new games. I also think that having a whole sea in the region fits the "ground vs water" theme of the R/S/E games very well.
    - Speaking of which! Team Magma's goals were the most reasonable of any evil team (even more than Team Plasma's).
    - I'm not a fan of Palkia and Dialga actually controlling time and space, or Arceus being God. I'd prefer if those things were just "myths". Giratina is neat tho~
    - Golbat looks better than Crobat. Yes, I also never evolve it when I replay older games.
    - Lickitung is kind of cute.
    - Trubbish and Garbodor are great 😤
    - Honestly, many "ugly" Pokémon are actually adorable in their own way. I'm not going to list them all.
    - Many gen IV evolutions of previous Pokémon have seriously horrible designs (am I supposed to like Probopass more than Nosepass?).
    - I don't like any of the gimmicks they added after gen V (Megas, Z-moves and Dynamax). Megas were good as a concept and the designs of some of them are awesome, but honestly, I would've made them normal evolutions and definitely NOT give them to Pokémon like Charizard, Mewtwo, etc.
    - "Nice" rivals aren't inherently bad, it's just that many of them are either walking designs with no personality (Marnie) or suffer from lackluster writing (all the rivals from gen VI). I've always thought that Bianca and Silver were equally great despite their personalities being so different.

I probably have more, but these are the ones I can remember right now.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    - There has never been a good story told in the main series games.
    - Johto is a snooze fest once you're beyond Goldenrod.
    - Garchomp just sucks... I can't explain it.
    - I stan rotation battles.
    - N is such a bad character. I have more colorful words for him, but I'll go with lame.
    - I really enjoy Gen VI and it could be such a good generation if not for it being so easy it pains me and virtually no end game.
    - Most of the people in the Pokemon fandom (barring actual children) are not okay mentally.

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Pokémon versions are too similar. Obviously that's mostly the point, and different versions aren't a bad idea conceptually, but there have to be more/better reasons to have your players choose which version to play than which Pokémon are exclusive to the wild. The Gen VII games had reversed day/night cycles (although this was trivialized near endgame), and Sword and Shield had a few different Gym Leaders, but there have to be more ways to change things up a bit while still keeping the games similar.

Years
  • Pokémon versions are too similar. Obviously that's mostly the point, and different versions aren't a bad idea conceptually, but there have to be more/better reasons to have your players choose which version to play than which Pokémon are exclusive to the wild. The Gen VII games had reversed day/night cycles (although this was trivialized near endgame), and Sword and Shield had a few different Gym Leaders, but there have to be more ways to change things up a bit while still keeping the games similar.

Honestly, I feel they should just do away with the two version thing anyway. They only get away with it because it's Pokémon and people are very used to games having two versions - if any modern game series released two essentially the same versions of the same game, people would be in an uproar. But alas, a lot of people buy/collect both versions, so it probably won't ever change.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • Controversial pokemon opinions

This is a small one, but the argument that XY had forgettable gym leaders is honestly absolute garbage. They had the same amount of involvement as any other gym leaders out there (except for Unova's) and yet people claim the Kalos leaders specifically are forgettable. I feel like people who say that are just nostalgic for the older games (and therefore remember the gym leaders) and just rip into XY because they don't like it due to the game's other problems, or because it came after Gen V which was... pretty much the only gen in the series to have relevant gym leaders in any sense, and that was almost entirely that one scene where they show up at N's Castle. That's the most that some of them did.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I feel like they're forgettable not because of their lack of involvement (because your argument there is completely correct when it comes to that) but moreso in that the gyms were for the most part so easy that no one really has any memorable memories whenever they faced them ( example is obvious like... whitney and her damn miltank for example ). But those are just my two thoughts real quick on that hahah.

As for my own controversial opinions there's really only one that I have right now-- no wait... two. But anyways first one is one that I always say during this topic.

- Ash is a good Pokemon Trainer and there's nothing wrong with what happened with him between DP and BW.

the other controversial opinion i have is SWSH is fun and has a loveable cast that has actually made it one of my top pokemon games but i think that's more just unpopular than controversial. is there really a difference idk but anyways yeah.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I feel like they're forgettable not because of their lack of involvement (because your argument there is completely correct when it comes to that) but moreso in that the gyms were for the most part so easy that no one really has any memorable memories whenever they faced them ( example is obvious like... whitney and her damn miltank for example ). But those are just my two thoughts real quick on that hahah.
    Controversial pokemon opinions

That's actually something I've never heard before, and I totally see where you're coming from on that. I wouldn't necessarily agree they were easy myself but that's always subjective based on your teams and experience and everything (there are people out there who found Whitney easy, I'm sure). The lack of involvement is usually what I hear people go after, and I think I've heard that being mentioned enough times that I kinda just thought it was always the basis for the argument, I'd never heard another spin on that.

Back