• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you want to see new types added?

Years
  • Would you guys be interested in seeing a new Pokémon type introduced to the series? Or do you feel the current type chart is fine as it is, and no further introductions are needed?

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Well... no, quite the opposite. Sometimes I don't believe in Fairies and actually want the type chart to return to how it was before Gen VI. To tell you the truth, I still question whether the Fairy-type was a necessary addition outside of providing a third check to Dragon-types and Dark-types, which other types (such as Steel, Bug or Poison for Dragon) could have covered. (And yes, I know my favourite Pokémon is part Fairy, but I often forget about it because I appreciate Mimikyu way more as a Ghost-type.)

Additionally, I would tentatively rename Flying, Ground and Steel to Air, Earth and Metal-types to better represent the traditional elements as well as to account for variety within the types - e.g. the Hoppip family, Gyarados and Minior in Flying/Air.

Years
  • do you feel the current type chart is fine as it is, and no further introductions are needed?
    I felt this in the era before Fairy types. It's always felt complete to me. Adding new types at this point is probably just so that they have something fresh to put on the table for newer gens. Renaming types we already have this late into the franchise though, I don't think would be a good idea, but I agree with the logic of Air type.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Sure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I fell in love with the Fairy type and whose to say another type won't be cool too? GF (while I'm not always confident they know what they're doing), has managed to make a type chart that feels organized and reasonable. They could probably do it again.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I wouldn't like to see more types. That doesn't mean that I believe the type chart is perfect as it is though. I think it's better than the pre-Gen 6 chart, but it still has room for improvement. However, that could be done by simply tweaking certain types' number of resistances and weaknesses, no need to add more types.

Years
  • while there isn't really a pressing need for a new type, i would be lying if i said i wasn't interested in peering into some hypothetical crystal ball to see if Game Freak has any additional plans for the type chart. Fairy was an interesting addition, who's to say there won't be anything else in the future?

Years
  • I also would be curious about new types for new and existing pokémon! Like, a Light type as opposite to Dark type, a Sound type for the likes of Whismur, a Sweet type for the likes of Alcremie,... a Mecha type for Voltorb, Magnezone, etc... ? Who knows, it could be a nice surprise!

(And yes, I know my favourite Pokémon is part Fairy, but I often forget about it because I appreciate Mimikyu way more as a Ghost-type.)

My second favourite pokémon is part Fairy too! ^^

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Yes, I would definitely love to see some new types. The idea for a Sound-type that Wolfe Glick mentioned in his videos were a great idea. However, I am more interested in a Space-type for Pokémon, considering that a good amount of Pokémon come from outer space. Pokémon like Deoxys, Minior, Nihilego, Elgyem, Elgyem and Beheeyem, Cleffa, Clefairy, and Clefable, and so on could acquire the Space-type in some form or fashion. Energy in space is based upon electromagnetic energy, in which its attacks could mainly be a form of electromagnetic radiation, which is the energy produced from stars. Thus, I could see it being super effective against a decent amount of types such as Normal, Ice, Ground (since terrestrial external radiation can erode the ground for example), and Flying, but I can see it being resisted by Bug (since many bugs can survive radiation), Steel (since stainless steels resists radiation), Rock, and Electric (since the two already go hand in hand). I could definitely see it working.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • I've been playing ROM hacks which have new types so I've warmed up to them a little bit, but I don't think it's really necessary right now and the most I can really think that we might need is more types that aren't not very effective against steel but I'm fine with steel being a defensively sturdy type. I wouldn't be opposed to them retweaking the current types but I think at this point most long term Pokemon fans are so used to how the types are.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I do think we need a new type to buff the ice type and maybe Grass, or something. But, I now think that's becoming increasingly more unlikely as the years go on. But, you never know. More and more type combinations are being used up. And one day, all of them will be filled in. Maybe that's when they'll create new types.

But. I really hope when we do, we don't go above 25, because that's just too many.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    I do think we need a new type to buff the ice type and maybe Grass, or something. But, I now think that's becoming increasingly more unlikely as the years go on. But, you never know. More and more type combinations are being used up. And one day, all of them will be filled in. Maybe that's when they'll create new types.
    i just wish they would rebalance the types chart, while i dont necessarily think we need more types, i just wish they would buff/nerf some types, i love a lot of ice types pokemon, but its sadly one of the worst types out there,i would even agree grass type is a better use competitively.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • i just wish they would rebalance the types chart, while i dont necessarily think we need more types, i just wish they would buff/nerf some types, i love a lot of ice types pokemon, but its sadly one of the worst types out there,i would even agree grass type is a better use competitively.

Well, Ice-type is probably the worst defensive type. However, it is arguably the best offensive type in the game.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    It would have been so easy to make Dragon neutral against Steel, and make Ice resist Dragon instead. Not a huge boost, but at least would be a little help to the Ice type defensively, improve their already existing role as Dragon killers, while rebalancing the type chart a bit more. And Dragon moves' effectiviness would remain more or less the same, if not more.

There's not even a good reason to why Steel must resist Dragon.

soulzzii

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    Well, Ice-type is probably the worst defensive type. However, it is arguably the best offensive type in the game.

i guess we could also agree fairy is also one of the best offensive type? the fact that they are immune to dragon makes them kinda op, (not like im complaining lol)

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • i guess we could also agree fairy is also one of the best offensive type? the fact that they are immune to dragon makes them kinda op, (not like im complaining lol)

I guess you can say that Fairy is one of the best offensive types in the game for that reason. However, I wouldn't say that it is op though because Dragon-type was definitely a type that needed balance. Generation V was definitely a great example of that. Ice-type alone hits 28% of all Pokémon super-effectively, the most of all types, whereas Fairy only hits 16%. Of course, this has to be updated when the new Pokémon get released in two more days.

soulzzii

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    I guess you can say that Fairy is one of the best offensive types in the game for that reason. However, I wouldn't say that it is op though because Dragon-type was definitely a type that needed balance. Generation V was definitely a great example of that. Ice-type alone hits 28% of all Pokémon super-effectively, the most of all types, whereas Fairy only hits 16%. Of course, this has to be updated when the new Pokémon get released in two more days.
    those are interesting porcentages, how did you get them?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • those are interesting porcentages, how did you get them?

I actually took the time to do it myself. I just simply took note of all type advantages and calculated the percentage that each type can hit every Pokémon super effectively in the game. I did it because it is useful for helping me when I play Pokémon competitively. I even posted more information regarding type combinations in my blog here.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Well... no, quite the opposite. Sometimes I don't believe in Fairies and actually want the type chart to return to how it was before Gen VI. To tell you the truth, I still question whether the Fairy-type was a necessary addition outside of providing a third check to Dragon-types and Dark-types, which other types (such as Steel, Bug or Poison for Dragon) could have covered. (And yes, I know my favourite Pokémon is part Fairy, but I often forget about it because I appreciate Mimikyu way more as a Ghost-type.)

Additionally, I would tentatively rename Flying, Ground and Steel to Air, Earth and Metal-types to better represent the traditional elements as well as to account for variety within the types - e.g. the Hoppip family, Gyarados and Minior in Flying/Air.

Self-quoting because I stand corrected on my answer. The Fairy-type still isn't one of my favourites, but it's a worthy addition to the type chart. Plus, now that I know that the Dark-type is my second-to-least favourite type, I appreciate the Fairy-type even more as a counter for said type.

I also do support the idea of a Sound-type after having played Pokémon Xenoverse, although I would like it to be implemented slightly differently from how it was in that fan game. It was made as a counter for Fairy, Water and Flying, weak to Electric and Dragon, and not very effective against Psychic for some reason. Well, I would like it to be more than that, to stand out on its own instead of just being a competitive counter.

Back