• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you like the Pokémon based on your favorite animal?

Years
  • Although not all real life animals have a Pokémon equivalent, there are still tons of them in the series. Does your favorite animal have a Pokémon counterpart(s)? If so, do you like it/them? If there are multiple Pokémon based on your favorite animal, which of them would you say is your favorite? Or are there not any at all yet (where's the dolphin Pokémon, TPCI)? In this case, feel free to pick another animal you like a lot!

Years
  • Cats (and other felines) aplenty in Pokemon.
    I think the only ones I dislike are Perrserker and Incineroar.

A favorite though... that's probably between Delcatty, Meowstic & Torracat.
    The gen 9 grass kitty is looking promising, but it's too early to accurately rate it imo

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Kind of hard not to pick cats as my favorite since I've grown up with them. I'm not too fond of Purugly, Alolan Persian, or Perrserker (if you can even call the latter a cat), but I'm cool with the rest of them! I even like most of the "big cats" (barring Incineroar). My favorite is Leafeon. There are folks out there who would argue that it isn't a cat, but to me it's clearly a colorpoint cat (like a Javanese or Balinese). It's so easy for me to imagine it basking in the sunlight pouring through a window~

qec1dsT.gif

Next to cats, moths are probably my favorite animals. So much variety! There's currently no Pokémon based on my favorite species, the rosy maple moth, but Frosmoth does seem to have some luna mixed in, which might be my #3 or #4. However, despite Ice being my favorite type, my favorite moth Pokémon would have to be Mothim. I admittedly didn't care for it for a long time—it was pretty forgettable with those drab colors—but its Shiny caught my attention when I was looking for things to hunt in XY. Spent a while MMing it then and later almost a year hunting it at pre-3DS odds. Now I'm cool with even regular Mothim! I also think bagworms are super fun, but that's more the case of the Pokémon making me like the animal than the animal making me like the Pokémon.

I enjoy Frosmoth, but I think that's more for the idea behind it than the actual execution of its design. The eyelashes have always put me off a bit and the fused, slow-flapping wings make me think more of a ray than a moth. It's still within my top 40 favorite Pokémon, but I wish it was higher up my favorites or even my new overall favorite because it fits me so well!

The only moth 'mon I don't particularly care for is Dustox, but the fact that it is a moth makes me like it some.

Last edited:

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I love seals, especially leopard seals. There are no Pokemon based on leopard seals, but the ones based on seals are kinda underwhelming. Seel and Dewgong are way too generic and forgettable, and yeah Spheal is cute, but I can't get over the fact that it evolves into a sea lion and then a walrus.

Years
  • Cats (and other felines) aplenty in Pokemon.
    I think the only ones I dislike are Perrserker and Incineroar.

A favorite though... that's probably between Delcatty, Meowstic & Torracat.
    The gen 9 grass kitty is looking promising, but it's too early to accurately rate it imo

I rarely see people comment on Delcatty so this makes me happy. <3 Cats are also my fav and I like almost all of them! Good taste!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Octillery and Grapploct do right by the octopus imo. :)

Cosmega

Your feathered fella
    Years
    • He / Him
    • Home
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    My favorite animal is the fox

E E V E E

Also the other Eeveelutions, Vulpix and Ninetails (their alolan forms aswell), Nickit and Thievul, Zorua and Zoroark (their hisuian forms aswell) and the Fennekin line.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Apparently the lynx pokemon are Sprigatito and Shinx. They're both adorable so yes :3 I like Luxray too, and I hope spriga is going to evolve into something majestic as well.

As for seals, well I do love Dewgong a lot! The other seal pokémon, maybe not so much XD jk jk Spheal is of course very cute.

Whiteeyes1989

Normal/Dark -type
    Years
  • I'm sad to say that their isn't a gerbil pokemon yet. Mice, rats, hamsters, hedgehogs, squirrels, and even chinchillas got in before these adorable little childhood pets.

pinkmoonlight

for the birds (◕દ◕)
    Years
  • Birds in general are my favorites. Corvids specifically and yes, I love the rookidee evo line. Luckily, there's a lot of amazing poke birds. Fletchling, Pidgey line, Chatot, and Starly are some others I like.

Years
  • The Zigzagoon family, the Pancham family, and Girafarig represent 3 of my 5 favorite animals, but I honestly don't feel any sort of attachment towards them.

Other than Butterfree, most of my favorite Pokemon aren't based off of any particular species of animal, but the more animals that we can have represented, the better!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    My favorite animals, the sage grouse and blob fish, don't have any Pokémon based on them yet. The panda did though. Pancham is absolutely adorable. I was disappointed by its evolution though. Pangoro is alright, but I was hoping for something a little cuter.

Years
  • red pandas

stufful (if it counts) and bewear are ok, i don't feel particularly strongly about them. spinda i think is pretty cool, but falls in mostly the same boat as the aforementioned two

overall 6/10 representation

NearAutomas

Acoustic Wonderbag
    Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2022
    I have a soft spot for pigs, which is why Piloswine is one of my favorites. I don't like Mamoswine though, because of its eyes.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I don't like or dislike the Hoothoot line all that much, but the Rowlet line are some of my favorite starters. I love owls.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the octopus Pokémon we have. Octillery is lame, and the Clobbopus line just doesn't appeal to me. I wish we had an octopus Pokémon that was a little more sinister, something along the lines of Malamar.

Funnily enough, I think I like Pyukumuku because it's based on a sea cucumber. There's only so much you can do with a sea cucumber as an inspiration, but I think they did a good job, especially with how they adapted evisceration.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I don't like or dislike the Hoothoot line all that much, but the Rowlet line are some of my favorite starters. I love owls.

Owls! I cannot believe I forgot owls! Octopus, owls, and ocelots man.. absolutely divine creatures.

Noctowl is an alright owl. Very classic. Reminds me of Kaepora Gaebora, lol, which is just a tiny bit traumatic. But Rowlet? Fantastic. Evolutions and forms are clutch af too.

And the only result for "Ocelot Pokémon" is Oshawott.. so, uh, no.

But yo, if "favorite animal" can include extinct ones, I gotta shout out my dino bois & fossils 'mons.

XXTheMichelXX

TheBirdKeeper
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I love KlingKlang!

Yeah, it's not a animal of course lol but Pokémons are not just based on animals. But I do like Gears and seeing them as a living creature is so nice. Here's what the PokéDex for Kling says
    "Interlocking two bodies and spinning around generates the energy they need to live."

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I like lions, tigers, bears (oh, my), ducks and rabbits. As well as turtles because of TMNT.

For lions... Pyroar is okay? Not the biggest fan. & Solgaleo is cool, I guess.

Tigers, I don't think we have a definitive "tiger Pokemon" yet.

Bear Pokemon, yeah, I like the Teddiursa family.

Ducks, Psyduck at one point was my favorite Pokemon before I discovered Treecko. Ducklett is p cool, and Quaxly is looking nice.

Rabbits. I like Buneary. Diggersby is cool, and Scorbunny is a fun Pokemon.

Turtles. We have too many turtle pokemon... lol! But, I love Squirtle and Turtwig.

I also like hyenas after writing a hyena chimera oc, but Poochyena isn't my cup of tea. I want a real hyena Pokemon.

Years
  • My favourite animals are sloths and owls.

Slakoth is a baby. I love it. And I love Rowlet. But find Dartrix pretty mediocre. Decidueye and Noctowl are fine, but they can't beat Rowlet.

Back