• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Netflix and Anime

Years
So, Netflix has a fair few anime titles available through it these days and a number of those were created specifically to be released through the platform. Does this indicate anything as far as mainstream popularity? Any thoughts on the quality of the titles released there? Basically discuss anything related to the topic I guess.

Years
im actually proud to have a netflix subscription since it has good anime titles. combined with some good "rl" series. actually rn, I'm watching death note on netflix. much faster than the alternative site I've been using.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I got a Netflix subscription to watch Little Witch Academia and Aggretsuko and I'm 100% okay with the deal. I'll look into the rest once I'm done but if they are like 70% of this quality, I'll be super happy.

Last edited:
Years
I don't mind the Netflix originals to air in binge format, but what bugs me is when an anime is seasonal in Japan that Netflix has up weekly in Japan and they still wait for the season to finish before releasing it to the west (a la their releases for Little Witch Academia and a few other series that escape me). It's annoying that I'd have to sail the high seas to keep up with friends if my friends ever got into a series Netflix holds the rights to as it airs, because quite frankly that's way more effort than I want to put in when watching anime.

I currently do not have a Netflix subscription, but that's because it generally does not get the rights to series I'd watch/read anyway.

Years
I love a lot of Netflix original animes, including my all-time favourite anime, Violet Evergarden! I'd say that over the last two years, around 70% of the anime that I've watched was through Netflix. Although, I've recently started to use other platforms now as I've watched the majority of the anime on Netflix that appeals to me.

Last edited:

tigertron

Pokémon Master
Years
Netflix is doing ok on the anime front.

I love Sword Art Online and Kakegurui. AICO is pretty decent now that they have dedubbed it. B the Beginning is pretty good, as is Kuromukuro and Guilty Crown.

I'm currently watching Neon Genesis Evangelion and although it took me a few episodes to get into it, I'd say it was pretty good - even the dub.

Years
I watched Violet Evergarden, a Netflix anime series, which I absolutely loved. Generally I'm pretty neutral on the whole Netflix anime thing though since they're still just breaking into it and there isn't enough content (that would interest me) to really judge. But Violet and Aggretsuko (latter especially) have left me feeling really satisfied, so my outlook is definitely more positive.

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I mostly use Crunchyroll and Hulu, however I do have a Netflix account. Netflix doesn't have a ton of shows, and for several of the ones that they do have these other streaming services also have acquired. With anything that a streaming company would release, it's all about the money. If there's thousands of people watching outdated episodes of AOT and SAO frequently, then the company will try to dip its toes in and see what it can do. It feels like so far, the "originals" that they've had haven't had much overlap in terms of genre, so it definitely feels like they're just testing the waters to see what sticks. Although, the series I've seen haven't exactly been terrible.

That being said, I have logged onto Netflix a few times just to binge a series or two - Aggretsuko, B the Beginning, Back Street Girls, Baki, Children of the Whales, Devilman Crybaby, Fate, Kakegurui, Knights of Sidonia, LWA, SDS, and of course Violet Evergarden. However, it's not a service that I check frequently like hulu or crunchyroll, because although I do prefer to binge anime more often than not they don't offer episodes as they come out which at times can be frustrating. It is also kind of irritating that they don't have as much to offer in terms of pre-early 00's anime unlike their two main competitors.

Anime as a whole however is rising quite rapidly these past several years compared to those prior due to an influx of influential celebrity social media accounts making mentions about shows. The anime fandom is finally fighting back against the various stigma and labels that have been placed on its audience and is breaking through into the mainstream. Which of course allows for companies like Netflix to begin to make an attempt at pandering to its more niche audience in the same way that a big corporation might between the months of May and June.

I think the real tests will begin when streaming services start to offer lower priced anime exclusive memberships to try and steal away users who prioritize crunchyroll and pirating for both cost and ease of use. If Hulu were to begin creating its own "original anime" as well though, then I do believe that it would be much closer to being considered as a substitute for crunchyroll or pirating than Netflix is currently.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I use Nexflix to watch Aggretsuko and have been quite happy with it thus far! But Sanrio is far from obscure Japanese content in America, so I'm not sure if it really counts as "breaking cultural boundaries". I do believe having anime available on these mainstream streaming services is bringing more awareness and support to the genre, but with it's drastic rise in popularity in general I feel that was inevitable.

Years
I recently found Neon Genesis Evangellion on Netflix which was a pleasant surprise. I'll probably start that up sometime soon. I keep meaning to watch it properly but always end up distracted by something else.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I recently found Neon Genesis Evangellion on Netflix which was a pleasant surprise. I'll probably start that up sometime soon. I keep meaning to watch it properly but always end up distracted by something else.

I'm watching it rn! Well I mean, a few episodes a day, not ultra binging. Catch up and discuss with me :3

Aggretsuko is one of my new favorite things and the seasons are Way Too Short.

Last edited:
Back