Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old February 5th, 2018 (3:57 PM).
Vampire Waifu

Nature: Quirky
    I've been recently seeing ad videos about this website called Science Based Six Pack, where it encourages people to try out intermittent fasting to lose weight. How intermittent fasting works is that you limit your eating in a certain time period (the most recommended is the afternoon to 8 PM). I'll post the beginner's guide to it here. I've been wanting to try this out since I found out that I weight 206 pounds, meaning I'm overweight, but my mother won't allow me because she's one of those people who still believes in the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" myth, when it has been recently debunked and intermittent fasting requires you to skip breakfast because, contrary to popular belief, it does not kickstart your metabolism. She still doesn't listen to them and told me not to believe everything I read. But what about you guys? Have you ever heard of or tried out intermittent fasting yourself?
    Old February 5th, 2018 (5:43 PM).
    i don't know where

Nature: Lax
    it sounds interesting, but if i didnt eat breakfast, i would fail school

I think its something I could try over the summer because I dont need the energy to concentrate and learn
    Old February 6th, 2018 (6:36 AM).

Nature: Adamant
    I'm no doctor, but I don't think fasting is the best way to lose weight. When you're hungry, you need to eat.
    If you want to lose weight, don't try any gimmicks, do it the old-fashioned way. A healthy diet and regular exercise.
    Old February 6th, 2018 (6:39 AM).
    Sniper in video games with a huge ego!

Im too hungry to do fasting
    Old February 6th, 2018 (6:55 AM).
    Vampire Waifu

Quote:
      Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
      I'm no doctor, but I don't think fasting is the best way to lose weight. When you're hungry, you need to eat.
      If you want to lose weight, don't try any gimmicks, do it the old-fashioned way. A healthy diet and regular exercise.
      Fasting is still a new method, but studies from health websites have been showing positive results than other gimmicks. Besides, it's only saying to not eat until the afternoon.
      Old February 6th, 2018 (7:12 AM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
      Fasting is still a new method, but studies from health websites have been showing positive results than other gimmicks. Besides, it's only saying to not eat until the afternoon.
      Which could be a problem if you need food in the morning. Exercise and a healthy diet will always trump all these silly fad gimmicks that keep coming up.
      Old February 6th, 2018 (8:14 AM). Edited February 6th, 2018 by Pinkie-Dawn.
      Vampire Waifu

Quote:
        Which could be a problem if you need food in the morning. Exercise and a healthy diet will always trump all these silly fad gimmicks that keep coming up.
        Not all the time. There are times where you don't feel hungry to eat in the morning because you ate a hefty meal yesterday evening. And just as you told me fasting isn't for everyone, so is exercise and a healthy diet.
        Old February 6th, 2018 (6:57 PM).

I've been doing it for months now. Maybe 4 or 5 days a week I don't eat until 5, 6 or somewhere around there, after not eating since the night before (like 8, 9, or 10). I did get hungry in the mornings at first, but in a week or less that went away.

I dunno, it seems to work for me. Even without changing much of what I was eating I felt a little better and I did lose some weight and can fit into some clothes I couldn't before. I have been doing it in tandem with eating more fiber and fermented food to keep from getting the insulin spikes.

But then I'm not in my teens anymore. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who does need the extra energy to get by.
        Old February 6th, 2018 (7:08 PM).
        withdrawl .

Nature: Bold
        I'm a little lazy right now to go searching for links.

The best method to lose weight safely is by having a caloric deficit than what your body normally consumes (It's a certain calorie count based off of how much you weigh.) You're likely to be hungrier when you're changing your eating habits, but it's much, much safer to prepare meals with a specific calorie goal in mind. You can portion your meals out appropriately through the day and still reach your desired calorie count. This is better than just fasting for your morning and being hungry.

Then again, all these "sciences" seem to contradict each other at some point.
        Old February 7th, 2018 (12:29 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
        I'm a little lazy right now to go searching for links.

The best method to lose weight safely is by having a caloric deficit than what your body normally consumes (It's a certain calorie count based off of how much you weigh.) You're likely to be hungrier when you're changing your eating habits, but it's much, much safer to prepare meals with a specific calorie goal in mind. You can portion your meals out appropriately through the day and still reach your desired calorie count. This is better than just fasting for your morning and being hungry.

Then again, all these "sciences" seem to contradict each other at some point.
        How you eat your calories is important though. Low caloric intake puts your body into starvation mode. You eat less and your body burns less and you slow down. Fasting lets you burn your body stores for energy instead of the food you eat. When you eat (your normal amount) in a short period of time (8 hours or shorter) you don't then have insulin spikes all the time. Whenever you eat your insulin spikes and that affects how your body processes the food, how it stores it. (Here's a long video that talks about it better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM) I believe that hitting the 16-hour mark without eating is also around the time when you go into ketosis, too.

But the safety part, yeah, I wouldn't suggest anyone do anything drastic with their diet if they have any worries or any health conditions that might be upset by not eating for a while.
        Old February 7th, 2018 (12:50 PM). Edited February 7th, 2018 by Kostas.

I don't know about the intermittent fasting. Here, if you want to do fasting, it means you can eat whenever you want, but you can't eat meat, milk, eggs. and actually everything that comes from an animal. I did it for 50 days last year, and I lost enough weight.

Anyway, if you want to lose weight, I don't think that skipping breakfast is the best idea. My doctor told me that your body works like a machine, you should eat more at mornings and way way less in nights. For example, I was eating toast, yogurt, honey, oats, nuts, fruits in the morning while I was eating only one yogurt or only a fruit at nights. I don't know if I can explain this but I think you'll burn morning calories way easier.

If my opinion counts, I wouldn't do this method of fasting. I would try eating 5 SMALL meals a day: 2 in the morning, lunch, one more at around 5-6pm and dinner. Also, I would try to getting around 1.500 kcals every day (2.000 is the normal amount every day).

One more thing, When I stopped fasting, I got the weight I lost back in no time, so yeah, I don't know. Don't forget, working out is a very good way to lose weight, even walking helps a lot. Anyway, I was 210 pounds but now I'm 190 if I did the kg to pounds correctly but I have muscle weight too.

Just a note: this 'diet' I talked about worked on me but I don't know if it's good for your metabolism, just try to eat healthy.
        Old February 8th, 2018 (11:22 AM).

Nature: Calm
        I actually had the most success with losing weight when I was trying to do something like this. I was skipping breakfast - and sometimes lunch if I knew I was having a big dinner - if I could get away with it to help stay within a certain calorie amount per day. That plus having everything in moderation, including all the "bad" things I used to enjoy, was what helped me. The only thing that ruined me was finally losing the willpower to stop myself from not just grazing on every bit of junk food I saw in sight. I had a few days of bad eating when I was moving some months ago, and I never got myself back into the groove of what I was doing before. I stopped paying attention to calorie counts because I couldn't be bothered right now, and I went back to eating too many of them. Which, honestly, if I'm not watching that, then it ultimately doesn't matter how much I try fasting.
        Old February 9th, 2018 (5:31 AM). Edited February 9th, 2018 by Exothermic.
        Keeper of the Hammer

Nature: Jolly
          Intermittent fasting can work, but there are definitely other ways of losing weight without skipping meals.

Personally, I have tried it but I never stuck to it since it made me feel hungry and dissatisfied with my progress.

Weight gain and weight loss simply depend on the number of calories you take in and use everyday. A caloric surplus will result in weight gain while a caloric deficit will result in weight loss. I think a moderate caloric deficit with low intensity cardio such as brisk walking or interval training will help you lose weight without making you feel hungry all the time.
          Old February 9th, 2018 (5:41 PM).

This is like how I’ve eaten for the past 8 years tho
            Old February 12th, 2018 (7:48 AM).

I think the benefit of not eating at night is that you will not be burning off the calories that just just consumed because you will be sleeping.
              Old February 12th, 2018 (10:33 AM).
              big nick

When I cut, I do intermittent fasting.
              Old February 13th, 2018 (7:46 PM).

I've been doing this for a bit, I eat 12pm-8pm. Nothing before or after besides beverages. I've lost some weight and my energy has been up, haven't noticed any negatives yet. I'm usually pretty nauseous in the morning so this works well for me
                Old March 25th, 2018 (6:15 AM).

Nature: Naive
                I tend to kind of do this now. I don't eat between dinner - lunch. Sometimes when I'm really hungry in the morning, I still grab some breakfast though, but then I usually only need a smaller lunch.

Since I don't eat much carbs, this works well for me; my blood sugar seems to stay more stable than before so I don't necessarily need to fill up on carbs in the morning.
                Old March 25th, 2018 (6:56 AM).
                → Bidoof is Pretty Rad

Nature: Relaxed
                I haven't tried it for myself but a good friend of mine does it. He works out every day and is dedicated in that regard but as a diet it's really worked for him, if you're trying to lose weight and you have the commitment to doing it right it can really be beneficial.
                Old March 26th, 2018 (2:15 PM).

I want to add that I've been to see a doctor since I started (unrelated reasons) and she said that fasting like this isn't a problem if you don't feel tired and/or don't use some kind of stimulant to keep you going. In other words, if you try it and it works there's not any immediate medical reason you shouldn't keep doing it.
                Old April 1st, 2018 (3:29 AM).

Nature: Calm
                I've been doing intermittent fasting for almost two years now. For me it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.

I schedule my meals to be eaten between 7AM until 3PM and then I fast in between. My meals are tailored with macros in mind plus plenty of hydration (and coffee. coffee is my best friend.)

Paired with Aizuke » @instagram
                Old June 16th, 2018 (8:19 AM).
                take me ☆ take you

Nature: Modest
                  Quote:
                  not a doctor, but I’m a Bio major, and I’m pretty sure there have been cases of fasting working as long as individuals take supplements.

(next part isn’t targeted at you specifically cause idk how much u know) When you fast, your blood sugar decreases. Your body then goes to its storage sites to release glucose. if you don’t have much stored, your body next targets sites of triglycerides and proteins and uses those to make energy instead. So technically you lose weight bc your body targets fat and protein for energy if it can’t get it from your diet. however, glucose/energy isn’t the only thing we get from our diet. For example, sodium and calcium are absolutely essential for every cell in your body, as well as several other compounds such as iodine.

It’s easier to just eat to gain these nutrients, but if you’re not eating you need to get them elsewhere, like from supplements, or you will die or have way more negative side effects than you intended.

I don’t think people should be fasting without seeing a doctor first, that seems pretty dumb.

ORAS/XYBW
                  Old June 16th, 2018 (8:48 AM).
                  Banned

Nature: Hasty
                  I can attest that breakfast is overrated.

I've skipped breakfast almost everyday since middle school and I function best in the morning.
                  Old June 16th, 2018 (12:08 PM). Edited June 16th, 2018 by twocows.
                  Primary form of sustenance is cute images

Nature: Lax
                  The problem with this one is that when you skip meals that you normally eat, your brain responds by making you want to overeat for other meals. You can suppress that urge and you will lose weight if you do, but there are plenty of other ways to lose weight that won't make you want to rip your hair out.

Look, there are about a million different diets out there and a lot of them will work to some degree if you stick to them with an iron will, but most people who are overweight are at that point because they don't have an iron will. I know that was the case with me, at least.

If you want to lose weight effectively, the first thing you need to do is pass on all the fad diets and learn about basic nutrition so you can understand what you're doing most wrong. With respect to diet, you really need to understand what a healthy diet looks like and how your current diet differs from that. The biggest thing you want to get right is the proportion of macro-nutrients you're taking in; getting those to a reasonable level is usually the most important first step and it's usually the thing most people are doing wrong that's making them obese.

I've lost 30 pounds over the past year and literally all I did was cut out straight sugar and cut back carbs to a more reasonable level (as in, more balanced compared to protein and fat intake). That's it, I didn't do anything else differently. I still eat plenty of garbage and I could still improve my diet in a million different ways, but at the moment I just don't get dessert and try to avoid adding empty carbs to a meal unless my meal is completely deficient in carbs (which is rare). It was hard for about half a week, after that the only difficulty was in turning down free food and making sure I stuck to the game plan. The real problem was that until I bothered to look into what proper diet was, I had no idea that this was the main problem I had and that doing it differently would help at all.

This is a good guide to basic diet and fitness; it was recommended to me a while back by a friend who himself lost a lot of weight over the course of a year or two. It's geared more for bodybuilders, but the information is useful to everyone. It'll help you understand the basics of nutrition and you can start to develop a sense of what you're doing wrong with yours. Proper diet is probably the single biggest factor in both health and in losing weight, and if you're overweight, the reason for that is probably that you're doing it extremely wrong. It's fine to do it a little wrong, but you want to at least get the basics right. Obviously the better you are about diet, the healthier you'll be and the more weight you'll lose, but I know I don't have the time or patience for that and I'm sure a lot of other people don't, either. Getting the big things right doesn't take much time or effort and produces the best results, so start there.

The other info there and the info about fitness is good too. If you're up for it, you should consider coming up with a basic exercise plan that doesn't intrude too heavily into your life. You won't lose as much weight from exercise but it'll make you a lot healthier (especially cardio) and you'll feel better as a result. And one thing it will do is help you keep weight off once you've lost it. Just keep in mind that it's really easy to just stop working out, which is why you should try to make any fitness plan as unobtrusive as possible so that you don't just drop it the first time you find some excuse to stop (in my case it's usually when I get sick; I never start it back up afterward if I stop when I get sick).
                  Old June 16th, 2018 (5:55 PM). Edited June 16th, 2018 by Jonghyun.
                  married to the music

Nature: Brave
                  I don't think fasting is the way to go, personally.

I once tried to lose weight by barely eating one day, and was going to just eat a big dinner, but my blood sugar dropped and I almost blacked out. I actually remember that specifically I was on PC that night and started feeling weird. That was.. over ten years ago now, but I wouldn't recommend that type of not eating to anyone ever. lol

My girlfriend sometimes goes all day without eating too, and over eats a lot at dinner, and she's disappointed because she's gained weight that way.

What helps me lose weight and keep off what I've lost is by eating a normal / small breakfast, a normal sized dinner, and in between those I eat things like yogurt, and protein bars, and healthy snacks. If you eat small things when you start to feel hungry, then you're not hungry anymore, plus you haven't eaten anything will cause you to gain much weight. Smoothies help too! Keeping yourself "full" on small things between meals helps a lot. Then you don't over eat once you finally get a meal.

눈부시게 아름다운 건 항상 그래
                  쓰러질 듯 또 흔들려

previously known as Drew
                  paired to Palamon

Quick Reply