• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Streamers and Let's Play-ers

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Do you watch streamers live on platforms like Twitch, or do you subscribe to video game channels on YouTube for regular gaming content? Who are some streamers/YouTubers you watch? Do you not like the idea of watching someone else play games when you could play it yourself, or do you think it's a good way to either learn to be better at a game, or just entertaining to watch a fun personality play a game you enjoy?

User Anon 1848

I really like shofu a lot. He's the only Poketuber I find entertaining. I'll watch him play other games that I'm not even interested in as well since I tune in for his personality more than anything. He's actually not that skilled when it comes to playthroughs and even when he plays matches online he falls victim to the RNG gods quite often. It's funny to hear him rage when things don't go his way though which is part of why I keep watching his content. His reactions are genuine unlike some streamers who clearly ham it up and do stupid things like try to break their controller or swear excessively for the sake of getting attention. I used to watch Verlisify just to see why he was so hated by the Smogon community. I'm not really a fan of his anymore but I think people overreact and pile on him for the sake of it sometimes. He's someone you can easily ignore so I don't know why they bother feeding the troll if they think he is one. There are a lot worse Poketubers out there than a guy who whines about Smogon.

Zhakaron is great if you're into Elder Scrolls. He livestreams on twitch and has tons of great videos on his youtube channel delving into ES lore. He's not afraid to critique Bethesda when he thinks he needs to either. Nothing worse than listening to a shill, which a lot youtubers and streamers are from what I've seen.

I'll watch various fighting game streamers like Maxmillion Dood because I'll always appreciate high level players. I love fighting games but I've never been a high level player for any of them so it's cool to see what high level play looks like. You can pickup a few tricks from watching them too even if you'll never be as good.

Generally though when it comes to single player games I prefer to watch playthroughs with no commentary on them. A lot of let's players don't add much and detract from the game if anything. I used to think it was dumb to watch any kind of let's plays since you could just play those games yourself but I've softened up on that stance now. Some people might not be able to afford those games or simply wont feel like playing them.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i don't watch many people like i used to. the only streamer i watch is renaeirl, who mainly does shiny hunting. and then like. i watch a few let's players? i've been watching nintendocaprisun for almost a decade, but i haven't done a great job and keeping up w his stuff lately. i watch therunawayguys as well, but again, not as much as i used to. i like markiplier, but i only watch his fnaf videos and sometimes i'll give hcbailey a watch bc he's p fun. i feel like in the last few years, i've focused more of my viewings to reviewers instead bc it's just quicker. i don't have as much time to sit and watch things like i used to.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    The only person I watch stream is Jake when he's playing something but other than that I think the last time I watched a stream was when I was watching another friend play a game ( Tales of Xillia iirc?? It was a long time ago).

As for Let's Player not as much as I used to. Chuggaconroy/therunawayguys are the two that I used to keep up with much more than I used to (with a bit of nintendocaprisun here and there). I still go and see what games theyre on and maybe watch them it it's a game that interests me but I think the last time I stayed up to date with one of them is when Chugga was playing BW (so maybe when he gets to XY I'll be more up to date again haha).

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I watch a handful of streamers/let's players - obviously I can't be up to date on all of their streams at once, but I try to catch broadcasts if possible. Let's plays allow me to take a look at how other people play games I've enjoyed, like playstyles or reactions. I watch playthroughs/streams of games I've never played from time to time too, usually because I'm curious about it and I don't have the necessary console.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I actually have never watched a streamer/LPer before. .__. Never really got into that whole scene and never really know where to even start with that...

Years
  • I actually have never watched a streamer/LPer before. .__. Never really got into that whole scene and never really know where to even start with that...

watch me i'm a streamer

but also I can't remember how I started watching let's plays. I guess I just used to look for funny videos on youtube and found a let's play and liked it. It's usually like chatting with friends.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I started watching LPs back in 2010 shortly before Pewdiepie became popular. Never actually watched the guy. Or any of the copycat LPers that came afterwards. About 2016 I stopped watching LPs, however. I just realized how annoying the scene had become, focusing on the LPer and their "funny jokes" a little too much to the detriment of the game content.

At that point I kinda moved on to watching streams. However even in the streaming sphere above archetype is way to prevalent. That's why I only follow less than a hand full of streamers. ProtonJon is pretty cool, though.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I enjoy watching streamers quite a bit! In particular Monster Hunter streamers, like Kantaperme. She doesn't talk so the whole focus is on the game play and I appreciate that lol.

Others like Many A True Nerd for his Civilization streams and Nothernlion for the NLSS are very good too, imo, but they're more personality based than game focused.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Others like Many A True Nerd for his Civilization streams and Nothernlion for the NLSS are very good too, imo, but they're more personality based than game focused.

THOSE are both top tier content creators omg

MATN has the absolute best Fallout videos, and Northernlion is the embodiment of zaniness
    I love them both so much

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    THOSE are both top tier content creators omg

MATN has the absolute best Fallout videos, and Northernlion is the embodiment of zaniness
    I love them both so much

OH HELL YES egg crew represent.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • Because I can't play a lot of games nowadays I watch a lot of Lets Players so I can watch their own content on my own time. I started out with Markiplier and the Gajin Gamers Play but I don't watch them as much anymore. I mostly watch GTLive, Jacksepticeye, PIMPnite, TyranitarTube, Kubz Scouts, and Press Buttons n' Talk. I don't watch all their videos but they cover a wide enough array of games that I can watch what I want usually.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I have been watching let's player raocow for 10 years, 2/3 videos a day, every day. It's pretty much part of my daily routine now. Been sending him $4 a month via Patreon since 4/5 years ago too.

He's one of the best Mario players ever and also one of the wackier commentators you can find.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Oh my God, who haven't I watched at this point.......................................

I think really the most I've actually constantly gone back to is the likes of ZFG and other people from the LoZ speedrun crew, but generally I tend to look for a game and then pick whoever is doing something interesting at the time.

Fun Fact: Corey from the band Patent Pending does a fair few Twitch streams, you should check him out!

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Oh my God, who haven't I watched at this point.......................................

I think really the most I've actually constantly gone back to is the likes of ZFG and other people from the LoZ speedrun crew, but generally I tend to look for a game and then pick whoever is doing something interesting at the time.

Fun Fact: Corey from the band Patent Pending does a fair few Twitch streams, you should check him out!

ZFG is great!! Some of his OoT 100% and any% runs are legendary, and his randomizers are super fun. I also watch gymnast68 fairly often for the same thing. Another great LoZ runner I found is Ian Miles. Definitely check him out! I'm pretty sure he's got Any% Wind Waker WR right now. :)

And I forgot to mention Team Darkside too! They do some of the best and most innovative Monster Hunter videos I've ever seen. Those guys are in a completely different league for non-solo players.

Years
  • ZFG is great!! Some of his OoT 100% and any% runs are legendary, and his randomizers are super fun. I also watch gymnast68 fairly often for the same thing. Another great LoZ runner I found is Ian Miles. Definitely check him out! I'm pretty sure he's got Any% Wind Waker WR right now. :)

And I forgot to mention Team Darkside too! They do some of the best and most innovative Monster Hunter videos I've ever seen. Those guys are in a completely different league for non-solo players.

T E A M
    D A R K S I D E
    H Y P E

Yeah I absolutely love ZFG and have since the dawn of time; oh yes Ian I forgot about him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm positive I've seen the run but I will check it out just incase.

Years
  • I'm a Twitch viewer, and if I'm doing something else I usually let the stream playing in the background. My favorites streamers are DansGaming and CohhCarnage, both are variety streamers, very chill and cool guys.

Last edited:

Cid

Years
  • The NyanCave is an underrated YouTube and Twitch streaming channel that I love. They played the entire Kingdom Hearts series blind, and their reactions to some of the cool things in KH were so fun to watch. My introduction to them was them just watching the Days movie, and I still enjoyed myself. Oh and their reaction to the KH2 Final Mix secret movie is gold. Honestly, anyone playing your favorite video games blind, like Lucahjin with Ace Attorney, is sure to be a fun time. You get to relive the joy of playing it for the first time yourself.

+1 to Chugga and The Runaway Guys, too. Chugga convinced me to play the entire Mother trilogy, which is great, because I love Mother 3 so much now.

I think watching people play video games is great. It can save a lot of money for some people, and would help others pick out the games they want to buy themselves. Personally, it takes me back to the days when I just watch my brother play video games on the TV, back when we didn't have a lot of responsibilities.

Years
    • Online now
    It's difficult to find somebody I enjoy, because I don't want to listen to somebody who is overly loud. At the same time, I don't want to listen to somebody who has no energy either. I do check out streamers with low view counts, but when investing time into somebody's stream I would rather not feel like I'm being put to sleep. On the lower view count side of Twitch there are many who just sound completely unenthusiastic.

I've watched and completed a couple series from Chugaaconroy, but most of the time I don't finish. His Gale of Darkness playthrough was entertaining, but then I tried to watch Chrono Trigger and stopped around episode 15. He is highly professional so that part of his playthroughs fascinate me, because every episode I learn a few things I didn't know previously. In my own opinion, I don't think his commentary is always enticing. It might be the loudness, but I can only watch so much at a time before I'm ready to take a break.

I liked watching "PokeaimMD" for a while, since he strikes a perfect balance. Even when my interest in competitive Pokemon faded, I still kept up with his channel for a while. ZeRo was my favorite player during his competitive Smash run, but I don't follow that scene anymore. It's fitting since he quit playing at tournaments and began streaming. I love his Smash Brother streams and I try to catch them when possible, but I still don't can't bring myself to watch when he's playing another game. He once asked his chat why he couldn't pull the same amount of viewers doing variety (It sounded rhetorical though). And honestly it's nothing to do with him. But if I'm going to watch a stream for several hours I would rather make sure it's a game I highly enjoy. He is a fantastic streamer though, and I'm sure his variety streams are just as great, but since there isn't time to watch them all I would rather choose the Smash Brothers streams.

Aside form them, there isn't anybody. My favorite channels are review channels, so most of the time I'm on YouTube I'm watching those.

Last edited:
    Back