• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Watch out for Ghosts...

pkmin3033

Luck in Pokemon games basically means "you never get lucky and your opponent always does"

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years

Yep, that?s pretty much my luck on Yellow. My favorite training area has Doduo, Dodrio, Fearow and Ponyta. All but Ponyta have Fury Attack and rather than being 25% of the time getting hit 4 or 5 times, it?s closer to like 45%. Way too high for my liking.

pkmin3033

I never use moves like that if I can help it because of the luck factor...it's awkward enough getting moves without 100% accuracy to hit sometimes. It's not Fire Emblem Echoes levels of ridiculous, but it's enough sometimes to make me wonder if the RNG is cheating >.>

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years

I never use moves like that if I can help it because of the luck factor...it's awkward enough getting moves without 100% accuracy to hit sometimes. It's not Fire Emblem Echoes levels of ridiculous, but it's enough sometimes to make me wonder if the RNG is cheating >.>

Seeing as I?m a Ghost, makes no difference if I wait for 100. Besides, moves like Fury Attack are not all bad if you play post Generation 3 when Abilities got introduced. One ability in Skill Link(introduced in Gen IV) guarantees moves such as Fury Attack Hit five times. Few Pokemon have this ability though, which is a shame because it?s pretty wicked.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years

The only Pokemon with Skill Link I have used is the Minccino line. Black/White 2 practically gives you a HA Minccino in the Hidden Grotto tutorial.

Can I be a Vileplume ghost please Epilogue?

Last edited:

pkmin3033

The Pokemon that have Skill Link are not ones I would generally use, haha. Well, I DID use the Pikipek line in one of the seventh gen games, but I don't generally use normal-type Pokemon so I didn't even glance at Minccino or Aipom, and Shellder is...eh.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years

Luck in Pokemon games basically means "you never get lucky and your opponent always does"

This is exactly my sentiment, especially when it comes to paralysis, confusion, and critical hits. xD I still have some not-so-pleasant memories of taking chances with my confused Pok?mon, ahaha...

Can I be a Vileplume ghost please Epilogue?

Yup, of course! Enjoy being a ghost! :D

pkmin3033

This is exactly my sentiment, especially when it comes to paralysis, confusion, and critical hits. xD I still have some not-so-pleasant memories of taking chances with my confused Pok?mon, ahaha...
    Confusion is the WORST status effect in the history of status effects. Because everyone seems to have access to Supersonic or Confuse Ray...or gets lucky with Confusion. I always have to use Confuse Ray if I want to inflict it, and it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever because the opponent just attacks me anyway.

...well, maybe not the WORST - Curse in The Last Remnant takes that prize; I still have war flashbacks about that one - but one of the most irritating...

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years

Confusion is the WORST status effect in the history of status effects. Because everyone seems to have access to Supersonic or Confuse Ray...or gets lucky with Confusion. I always have to use Confuse Ray if I want to inflict it, and it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever because the opponent just attacks me anyway.

Argh, I know that feeling all too well. xD It especially bites when a swaggered opponent hits you with double damage, or when your own swaggered Pok?mon deals extra damage to itself. ;__;

Speaking of bad luck, there's also Double Team... haha.

Years

Waited for so long for someone to make post 99, and I miss it... :/

Can't say much about luck since I tend to experience the lucky side of Pokemon, like usually getting all 5 uses of Rollout in a row.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years

Luck in Battle Facilities like the Battle Tree will screw you over as every team seems to carry some form of Confusion move. You could use a Pokemon with Own Tempo but most of those Pokemon have a better ability.

Being Counter teamed is annoying as well.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years

I abuse Double Team religiously in Generation 1. Opposing Trainers never use X-Accuracy and there are no abilities or moves(save for Swift) that can counter using it. If you can set-up your Evasion Pokemon, you can sweep easily. That's why I like Sandslash since only trainers with Water/Grass/Ice make it difficult to set-up on(since its weak to those elements). Which makes the battle with Lorelei and Lance the two most difficult battles in the game unless I simply get Jolteon and Tunderbolt/Pin Missile to victory on Lorelei. Lance is a bit harder though unless I play with Starmie and Minimize prior to Gyrados moving and praying he misses with a Hyper Beam.

Years

Don't even remind me of Double Team. I hate when someone use it against me. It just prolong their inevitable lost.
    Only time I tried to set up Double Team was during one of my Let's GO Challenge... It didn't work...

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years

Don't even remind me of Double Team. I hate when someone use it against me. It just prolong their inevitable lost.
    Only time I tried to set up Double Team was during one of my Let's GO Challenge... It didn't work...

Double Team can work if used in conjunction with Accuracy reducing moves like Flash and Sand Attack since they stack in Generation 1 and 2. Generation 3 onward they removed the stack effect but they're still worth utilizing. However like any game, its all based on luck. Some people are lucky as heck while others, like me, have crappy luck(particularly with Fury Attack, Pin Missile, etc.).

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years

I pretty much never bother with status moves in the main games (PMD is another story—they've saved me countless times). They just always seem to work against me. xD I feel like there's not much use in buffing when I'll do just fine without it. Although when I eventually get around to doing a challenge, they might come in handy. :p

Years

My favourite status move is Toxic so I usually slap it on someone, but I don't use other status moves that much. Sleep for catching maybe.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years

I pretty much never bother with status moves in the main games (PMD is another story—they've saved me countless times). They just always seem to work against me. xD I feel like there's not much use in buffing when I'll do just fine without it. Although when I eventually get around to doing a challenge, they might come in handy. :p

Buffing in Generation 1 is actually worthwhile to do ;) Read ME

pkmin3033

I've never found much need for stat buffs outside of competitive battling...the games are so easy that just using a super effective attack with a sufficiently levelled Pokemon will do it most of the time. xD;

Status effects, though...those are very useful for Legendaries in particular.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years

What I posted simply states that boosting Evasion also boosts your other stats provided you have the corresponding badges(Boulder-Attack, Thunder-Defense, Soul-Speed, Volcano-Special). If you Paralyze your opponent and then drop their Defense(or Attack), it drops their speed even more because the game was buggy/not coded properly. Which means you can be under-leveled and still have a shot.

Back