• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Ash might win the Kalos League next episode

LHT

I do pokemon sprites sometimes
Years
  • My friends at Disquis, myself included, are simply enjoying their popcorn for the salt from every Pokémon fan who saw this episode.

Let me quote one of their posts:

One of my fondest memories of Pokemon is how Ash takes his losses well. it really drove home the importance of good sportsmanship to me.

It's really not about winning or losing for him, it's about going on an adventure, meeting new people and growing as a person. And I think fans today have really lost sight of that.

Good sportsmanship, okay... but if Ash's goal was not to win the League, I don't understand the training or the need to enter it in the first place...? Meet people? He can meet people doing anything. Meet trainers? Become a Pokemon Ranger or something. LOL

Why not "it's okay to lose" against a member of the Elite 4? Wouldn't be that different.

20 years dude, it's understandable all the 'salt' from fans.

Years
  • 20 years dude, it's understandable all the 'salt' from fans.

Tbh after two decades of Ash's continuous League losses, I think that fans should've anticipated another loss today. So I dunno why so many fans got triggered or why some even sent rude tweets to the production staff when they should know by now how history repeats itself on this show. It's as if some fans are masochistic at this point and love being recklessly optimistic, even knowing how bad the show can be. :s

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years

• The salt is understandable thought. It's been twenty years of loss for Ash. His goal to become a Pokemon Master is not yet fulfilled. Fans think Ash is losing his edge and he might have run past his prime without him achieving any of his goals. Thus the salt.

It's not about the sportsmanship right now. We've had five leagues for that kind of show. We need him to win badly right now.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    If I'm not wrong, aren't the writers for the finals episodes are the ones who also wrote for some of the BW ones too?

Anyway, meh, I don't really mind if he loses or not, but I read that Japanese fans are really pissed about this that TVTokyo's recent Pokemon trailer vid got mass dislikes.

EDIT: Apparently the writer is actually the writer even ever since the OS.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Good sportsmanship, okay... but if Ash's goal was not to win the League, I don't understand the training or the need to enter it in the first place...? Meet people? He can meet people doing anything. Meet trainers? Become a Pokemon Ranger or something. LOL

Why not "it's okay to lose" against a member of the Elite 4? Wouldn't be that different.

20 years dude, it's understandable all the 'salt' from fans.

The salt is understandable thought. It's been twenty years of loss for Ash. His goal to become a Pokemon Master is not yet fulfilled. Fans think Ash is losing his edge and he might have run past his prime without him achieving any of his goals. Thus the salt.

It's not about the sportsmanship right now. We've had five leagues for that kind of show. We need him to win badly right now.

You guys are only proving that other guy's point about how fans today have really sight about the true message of the anime (the fact that it's about the journey, not the destination). The same can apply with One Piece.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    lol so I decided to finally watch the XY series, and seeing how Ash lost again well it's not going to stop me from continuing to watch the Anime. I've been watching the Anime since the very beginning so I'm used to Ash losing the Pokemon League. I don't take the Anime too seriously and I just watch it for fun. After seeing Ash always lose a Pokemon League I've given up hope of Ash ever winning a league, the only way I can ever see him winning is when the series ends. Should Ash should have won? Sure I guess, I'm pretty sure that with good writing they could have made Ash win the Pokemon League and still continue the series with him. But oh well, it's ok to be mad and upset but remember that in the end it's just a fictional show so don't take it too seriously. Just my thoughts.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2024
    I am glad that that stupid gary stu greninja got taken out i didn't actually watch the show but why the hell does ash have that synchro with greninja its suppose to be about the strength of their bond right what about the fricken pickachu he has been carrying around for 20 years

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    You guys are only proving that other guy's point about how fans today have really sight about the true message of the anime (the fact that it's about the journey, not the destination). The same can apply with One Piece.

The journey IS the destination, though. If they wanted to focus on the journey, they shouldn't have even BOTHERED giving Ash a goal in the first place. In fact, just have him say he doesn't care about winning or even having a goal, just having an adventure, like Sonic does, or even that old adage about how it doesn't matter if you win or lose, but just getting out there to play the game. Instead, Ash has an explicitly stated goal, and the entire point of even HAVING a goal is to achieve it. And in order to achieve it, one needs to actually REACH the destination.

If the journey was truly the true message of the anime, they should NEVER have given Ash a goal in the first place. I know if I were writing the series and that was the intended message of the anime, I'd make SURE Ash and the others NEVER give a goal other than "hey, this sounds like fun" specifically to REINFORCE how it was never about the destination (no goal = no destination). Heck, even Dragon Ball doesn't have Goku having an explicit goal of becoming the absolute greatest Martial Arts Master, just the best he can be. Heck, considering that he constantly resets at the end of each region and doesn't seem to retain much of what he learned, we can't even say it follows through the intended theme anyways (if it did, Ash would have actually RETAINED what he had learned and not have his Pikachu especially undergo level resets), since even under the argument that it was the journey that matters, not the destination, he needs to actually RETAIN that knowledge he gained on the journey for the journey to truly matter.

Even ignoring all of that, however, it's not like if Ash actually beats Alain, he's finished. Remember, DP revealed that even if he won the Sinnoh League, he'd still need to challenge the Elite 4 and Champion before he can truly become Champion. They could have had him beat Alain, yet lose against an Elite 4 member, so that he technically beats a league, yet still has work to do before Ash truly manages to succeed in his goal.

Instead, we most likely have to wait until Generation VIII before he even HAS a chance to accomplish his goal.

LHT

Years
  • You guys are only proving that other guy's point about how fans today have really sight about the true message of the anime (the fact that it's about the journey, not the destination). The same can apply with One Piece.

I'm still trying to understand this 'true message of the anime' without remembering that Ash fought on so many leagues before with the sole intention of winning them, even the most recent one.
    I don't see any problem in focusing on the "journey", but...slapping your audience with wrong expectations is not the right way to do it, I don't blame the salty fans for this (the name of the episode, all the foreshadowing, character development, even the moves...).

for him.

I'm trash.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    I wish Ash lost to a more interesting person. :/ Alain was very boring to me. Well at least he wasn't Tobias.

The marketing for the Kalos League arc was pretty misleading as well. It was advertised as Ash competing in the league with "his strongest team yet." It just added more oil to the flame for the hope that Ash would win the Kalos league

Years
  • I don't blame the salty fans for this (the name of the episode, all the foreshadowing, character development, even the moves...).

I don't get why the title was taken so seriously though when we get misleading/exaggerated titles often in this anime: "Goodbye Oshawott!?" and "Ash and Serena's First Date!?" come to mind, and those are just the ones I remember from the past four years. And I'm still not sure what the foreshadowing was for his supposed win, unless fan-generated hype counts now. :x

Years
  • I don't get why the title was taken so seriously though when we get misleading/exaggerated titles often in this anime: "Goodbye Oshawott!?" and "Ash and Serena's First Date!?" come to mind, and those are just the ones I remember from the past four years. And I'm still not sure what the foreshadowing was for his supposed win, unless fan-generated hype counts now. :x

It's because this episode was much more heavily hyped due to being the first time Ash has ever made it to the final round, and Kalos was his first regional team to all be fully-evolved. However, people underestimated Alain as a result which caused the rioting when he won and claimed the champions' title.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    It's because this episode was much more heavily hyped due to being the first time Ash has ever made it to the final round, and Kalos was his first regional team to all be fully-evolved. However, people underestimated Alain as a result which caused the rioting when he won and claimed the champions' title.

Yeah, though unfortunately, they also ended up really dropping the ball due to it turning out that Alola doesn't even have a Pokémon League, meaning we're now going to have to wait two generations before Ash even has a chance to get the title again. They should have had Ash win. It's not like he'll get the title of Pokémon Master if he just wins a league. In fact, he'd still need to challenge the Elite 4 and Champion of Kalos. All they needed to do is have Ash win the Kalos League, fight against an Elite 4 member, and then lose. At least that would tide us over until Generation VIII.

Years
  • Yeah, though unfortunately, they also ended up really dropping the ball due to it turning out that Alola doesn't even have a Pokémon League, meaning we're now going to have to wait two generations before Ash even has a chance to get the title again. They should have had Ash win. It's not like he'll get the title of Pokémon Master if he just wins a league. In fact, he'd still need to challenge the Elite 4 and Champion of Kalos. All they needed to do is have Ash win the Kalos League, fight against an Elite 4 member, and then lose. At least that would tide us over until Generation VIII.

That's not to say Alola will be ignoring typical anime rule and could still have a league conference. I actually do believe the reason Ash never wins a league conference is because the writers really do think it'll be the end.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    That's not to say Alola will be ignoring typical anime rule and could still have a league conference. I actually do believe the reason Ash never wins a league conference is because the writers really do think it'll be the end.

I'd believe it if it weren't for the fact that the writers were also responsible for the episode Elite Meet and Greet, which pretty much stated that in order for Ash to even come close to becoming a Pokémon Master, Ash not only needs to beat the league, he also has to challenge and beat the Elite 4 and Champion in quick succession. In other words, yes, they DO know that Ash would still need to challenge the Elite 4 and Champion to actually end the series and thus the series can't actually end by beating the league in itself.

And honestly, I kinda doubt they're even going to follow through with that rule. If they got rid of the leagues, it's unlikely they'll retain the league conferences either.

LHT

Years
  • The anime writers/producers, with all due respect, seems like a bunch of douchebags that do these kind of stuff for the sake of doing it...
    And that's why I hope Alola get some bad ratings, might shake things up...maybe.

Years
  • I'd rather have Alola shake up a lot and rates better since there's a lot of potential with the changes made to the games as we've seen so far. But one thing we shall relate to Ash's losses with is the fact that you can't always win everything, and it's something kids need to understand.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I'd rather have Alola shake up a lot and rates better since there's a lot of potential with the changes made to the games as we've seen so far. But one thing we shall relate to Ash's losses with is the fact that you can't always win everything, and it's something kids need to understand.

Does that really mean not winning any leagues at all? I get that kids need to learn that lesson, but they're applying it in the absolute wrong way.

King Rockruff

Rockruff
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2016
    If I'm not wrong, aren't the writers for the finals episodes are the ones who also wrote for some of the BW ones too?

Anyway, meh, I don't really mind if he loses or not, but I read that Japanese fans are really pissed about this that TVTokyo's recent Pokemon trailer vid got mass dislikes.

EDIT: Apparently the writer is actually the writer even ever since the OS.

Anyone can dislike a video so I'm sure a chunk of those dislikes came from non-Japanese fans as well.

Back