• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mass-Shooting in Orlando Gay Club

Years
  • It's one thing after another, and this is even more senseless since it was the slaughter of so many. You're right something has to be done, but like I said earlier I doubt we'll see any big changes like that with an election around the corner.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Horrifying news. Been keeping an eye on this story throughout the night and seeing the death toll consistently rise in each update is just revolting. Hope their families get the help they need.

Years
  • Horrible, just horrible.

Hearing this occur not too long after the Christina Grimmie murder shows that something has to be done about gun control in the US, like how my home country tightened laws after what was Australia's most infamous massacre.

These innocent people didn't deserve to meet their fate like this.

Years
  • Wow this is so sad, especially after what happened yesterday ;-; and the police force is ruling this shooting as domestic terrorism too

Sirfetch’d

I am literally sick right now. This is beyond horrifying. There are no words to describe this.

Years
  • I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think the scariest part of all this is that despite how horrific this act was, I don't feel horrified. It's gotten to a point now when this sort of thing is actually normal. We hear about it so often that it's so easy to shrug it off as "just another mass shooting" without batting an eyelid. Now that is truly horrifying.

Something in the US has to change and fast, but I fear that with how hard it is to become emotionally invested in such tragedies now with their commonality it will be even harder to make that change happen.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • I don't unerstand what compels someone to kill 50 people, most likely people they've never met, without hesitation. When shootings become this senseless, any half-brained moron should be able to see something has to be done and yet, somehow, it's just not going through.

GP's right, even though it still horrifies me, I fear more a point in the future where the death of dozens of people can be dismissed with a shrug and a "oh, another shooting?". The US needs to figure out it's priorities. Human lives, innocent ones or not, should not be compensated for things that are sometimes trivial matters.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I have never been more un-proud to be an American. This country sucks in so many different ways.

Bay

Years
  • What strikes me more is the shooter went to a gay club. While I would too say US's gun laws should be dealt with (and people still discussing other mass shootings like one San Bernadino), this also shows violence still going on with non-straight folks. That too I felt should be in great consideration.

Years
  • Of course they're going to label it terrorism. The shooter isn't a white guy.

God I hate this country.

I don't unerstand what compels someone to kill 50 people, most likely people they've never met, without hesitation.

Being an American in America compels you to kill. I was just saying this last night to someone. Let me explain.

I'm American, but I've visited Britain and lived in Japan. Those aren't just different countries, they feel like different worlds. People there aren't (generally speaking) selfish jerks when you encounter them in public. In America it's different. Everyone is out only for themselves. Everyone this underlying mentality that makes them always afraid of losing out. Nobody has time to consider other people. We're always encouraged, from one source or another, to think we're right and not have any self-reflection. That's the American way. Never wrong in anything. Number one! I notice this mentality creeping into my own actions, too. Being in America is living in an heightened state of anxiety. We're told to fear people who are different so we buy the readily available guns to defend ourselves, thereby becoming the dangerous people that others fear. We've got no safety net to fall back on, so many of us haven't had an education worth anything, and even if you can get a job it's not going to pull you out of poverty. So we either have to be hyper-vigilant against any threat to what little we have, or we give up entirely and do stupid, risky, thoughtless, violent things because that's what we're left with as options.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Disgusting. I'm in tears. When I woke up to family marking themselves as safe in Orlando, I thought to myself, "but wait no, that shooting was yesterday" and I was horrified to realize I woke up to another one. I don't care how "normal" this becomes in America, I will never see this kind of news and not be utterly devastated and horrified by it. I will not be desensitized to this senseless violence and hate.

Years
  • This is incredibly depressing, I don't know what else to say. RIP to the deceased and my heart goes out to their families.

What strikes me more is the shooter went to a gay club. While I would too say US's gun laws should be dealt with (and people still discussing other mass shootings like one San Bernadino), this also shows violence still going on with non-straight folks. That too I felt should be in great consideration.
    It's ridiculous how reluctant people are to label this as an act of homophobia.

Of course they're going to label it terrorism. The shooter isn't a white guy.
    God there SOMETHING bugging me about the way it was so quickly labelled as terrorism, thanks for pointing this out.

Years
  • Disgusting. I'm in tears. When I woke up to family marking themselves as safe in Orlando, I thought to myself, "but wait no, that shooting was yesterday" and I was horrified to realize I woke up to another one. I don't care how "normal" this becomes in America, I will never see this kind of news and not be utterly devastated and horrified by it. I will not be desensitized to this senseless violence and hate.

Maybe RT isn't the place, but I applaud you for this.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    @Esper errrrr. It is terrorism? I don't see how shooting up a club and killing 50 people could be described any other way. :s

//edit: unless you're merely pointing out that the US press only uses that word with non-White murderers.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    In an update, a man in LA was just arrested on the way to LA's Pride parade with a car full of weaponry.

Both of these situations show an extreme case of homophobia. The Orlando shooter's father has said:
    "We were in Downtown Miami, Bayside, people were playing music. And he saw two men kissing each other in front of his wife and kid and he got very angry," Mir Seddique, told NBC News on Sunday. "They were kissing each other and touching each other and he said, 'Look at that. In front of my son they are doing that.' And then we were in the men's bathroom and men were kissing each other."
    -Source

Years
  • It's literally the worst shooting in U.S. history, almost as many fatalities as the Sandy Hook & Virginia Tech shootings combined, 50, maybe more, dead. Obama's address earlier was the FIFTEENTH TIME he's had to make a statement after a deadly mass shooting during his time in office, and it's bullshit. To continue to beat the dead horse, we need, as a society, do something, anything, to try and stem these acts of violence.

As for the Trump response tweet I'm seeing getting floated around, where he's saying "I told you so, I deserve congrats for calling this", he's a fucking pig and I would in all honestly switch him out for the 50 dead people if I could, and stick him in the club at 2AM instead. What a disgrace.

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Of course they're going to label it terrorism. The shooter isn't a white guy.

God I hate this country.

Being an American in America compels you to kill. I was just saying this last night to someone. Let me explain.

I'm American, but I've visited Britain and lived in Japan. Those aren't just different countries, they feel like different worlds. People there aren't (generally speaking) selfish jerks when you encounter them in public. In America it's different. Everyone is out only for themselves. Everyone this underlying mentality that makes them always afraid of losing out. Nobody has time to consider other people. We're always encouraged, from one source or another, to think we're right and not have any self-reflection. That's the American way. Never wrong in anything. Number one! I notice this mentality creeping into my own actions, too. Being in America is living in an heightened state of anxiety. We're told to fear people who are different so we buy the readily available guns to defend ourselves, thereby becoming the dangerous people that others fear. We've got no safety net to fall back on, so many of us haven't had an education worth anything, and even if you can get a job it's not going to pull you out of poverty. So we either have to be hyper-vigilant against any threat to what little we have, or we give up entirely and do stupid, risky, thoughtless, violent things because that's what we're left with as options.

That's one hell of an explanation. You made sweeping assumptions about an entire country's culture based off of nothing but personal experience, attributed natural human processes to a single country, and tried to create a link between poverty and religious/political terrorism. I can understand why you'd try to politicize a tragedy so quickly, but it's silly that you'd try to place the blame on your own narrow idea of a unified American culture instead of religious extremism.

Back